Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.

Default Legendary Shot Putters

Does anyone remember the legendary battles that Candelario "Piggy" Rivera used to have in the shot put. I remember in '86 he beat the throwers from La Porte at a meet in McAllen. It was an amazing site to see. He then would battle the throwers from Mission High in the District meets. I don't remember their names but there were two of them. They also played offensive line and blocked for Lupe Rodriguez. These battles have to go down as some of the best ever. Piggy had the grace of a gazelle as he twirled his lumpy 300 pound body around the shot put ring. As he released the shot he let out a massive grunt that even Chuck Norris would be proud of. He then would stare at his fellow competitors as if they were a 15 piece chicken box from Starlite Burger. He would intimidate these boys to no end. After he would throw he would take off his shirt and reveal all the lumps and crevices where he would summon the strength to heave the shot the distances that few could. Those were the days.
    Last edited by BUEY; 03-29-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Junior Varsity

A great showdown was at the 30-5A district meet with Mike Sanchez and Stephen Saenz. Stephen had the lead after the prelims till Mike threw a 60' 01" throw on his 5th throw. Stephen's final throw went far but landed 1" shy of Mike's. It was a great throwdown with a big crowd cheering both competitors.

If all goes well my sister in law will soon make some noise at HHS and I tell her she will break my heart if she gives all the credit to Torres......we shall wait and see.....she keeps up with PI superstar so I have high hopes for her.
    those who serve the best .....profit the most-

Legendary Shot putters : Kemuel Morales, Brownsville Pace c/o 04'
    Won silver medal at state meet and holds records at TEXAS STATE.

Legendary Shot putters : Kemuel Morales, Brownsville Pace c/o 04'
    Won silver medal at state meet and holds records at TEXAS STATE.

I tell you what ..keep an eye on this kid from Brownsville Hanna.....he is a manchild ....named Joe (Hinojosa) or(Herrera).....that kid is going places.Track and Fld 008.jpg
    Last edited by humblewarrior695; 11-09-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Very humble kid...I know he looks like he can be your dad but trust me he is just a kid.....anyways I see nothing but good things coming his way.

Hall of Famer

Don Ausmas from McHi went to state in early to mid 70's don't remember if he won but he went on to become Mr Texas in bodybuilding around 1981.

Junior Varsity

Key to the city of Rio Grande, Mcallen, and Reynosa?
    Is this what you get for not making your countries (US) shotput team, and having to go to another country and basically walk on and not even represent in the olympics? Have our standards totally declined? If I am decent in a sport all I have to do is go to a country that has a history of not doing well in the olympics, walk on their team, go to the olympics, not even win, place, or show... but I can say I'm an olympian wannabe. What troubles me here is that he basically turned his back on his country and his friends and you are honoring him for having represented another country. In case you haven't noticed I am talking about Stephen Saenz

Junior Varsity

Key to the city of Rio Grande, Mcallen, and Reynosa?
    Is this what you get for not making your countries (US) shotput team, and having to go to another country and basically walk on and not even represent in the olympics? Have our standards totally declined? If I am decent in a sport all I have to do is go to a country that has a history of not doing well in the olympics, walk on their team, go to the olympics, not even win, place, or show... but I can say I'm an olympian wannabe. What troubles me here is that he basically turned his back on his country and his friends and you are honoring him for having represented another country. In case you haven't noticed I am talking about Stephen Saenz

Heisman Winner

Sean Flores PI

All Star

Jose Cuervo. An Olympic experience is something that is not explainable by any means. But obviously you would not know anything about that by your our of order accusation of "an olympic wannabe." It's not just about being the best in the country, in case an ignorant mind like yours doesn't know. There is an olympic standard that you must reach to qualify. Anyone who goes to the olympics is extremely talented. In case you were wondering, if everyone tried to make the US team, the olympics would be no fun. Most of the great olympians reside in the United States. Felix Sanchez, olympic GOLD medalist, is a coach at Westlake HS in SoCal. But runs for PR. Their chance to represent which ever country they choose is a blessing, not everyone can do that, and he's just seizing the opportunity to experience something that, someone like yourself , would not understand.
    You can't beat us, so most don't even try..

Quote Originally Posted by getto koolaid View Post
    Jose Cuervo. An Olympic experience is something that is not explainable by any means. But obviously you would not know anything about that by your our of order accusation of "an olympic wannabe." It's not just about being the best in the country, in case an ignorant mind like yours doesn't know. There is an olympic standard that you must reach to qualify. Anyone who goes to the olympics is extremely talented. In case you were wondering, if everyone tried to make the US team, the olympics would be no fun. Most of the great olympians reside in the United States. Felix Sanchez, olympic GOLD medalist, is a coach at Westlake HS in SoCal. But runs for PR. Their chance to represent which ever country they choose is a blessing, not everyone can do that, and he's just seizing the opportunity to experience something that, someone like yourself , would not understand.

+rep

Junior Varsity

David galvan state discus chamo. Louie Navarro state shot put champ. Anyssa olivarez state record holder for 13 years. State discus champion. Derek solis state shot put champion and the girl out of PI. We have had some great ones from the RGV!!

Quote Originally Posted by BABYBOOMER View Post
    David galvan state discus chamo. Louie Navarro state shot put champ. Anyssa olivarez state record holder for 13 years. State discus champion. Derek solis state shot put champion and the girl out of PI. We have had some great ones from the RGV!!

yeah that girl from PI is a real sweetheart..I had a chance to speak to her and her mom and (dad!!!!) (good luck to any brave high school kid trying to ask her to prom) Her dad is TOWERING GIANT lol but anyways ....she is more than just an athlete ...she helps out in her community and the young and upcoming girls in the middle school... as I spoke to her mother I was impressed with their daughter...I got some great picture of several of these kids that we WILL hear about this season....There is this one kid I wanna say his name is David from Mc Allen / or Edinburg...the kid is an animal...what are ya'll feeding your kids over there. Also another girl from the Tri city area...I think her name is Karina or Katrina...very very impressive.....I can't wait.....I will be rooting for Joe. good luck to all who dare compete against him...just stay home lol

Cardinal Spirit Never Dies!!!!

Junior Varsity

Cory cox out of Los fresnos. Senior. Awesome thrower! Joe out of Hanna doing great! Heard Larry Howell was helping him out. Got a lot of up and comers this year. Should be a fun season!

Quote Originally Posted by humblewarrior695 View Post
    ...There is this one kid I wanna say his name is David from Mc Allen / or Edinburg...the kid is an animal...what are ya'll feeding your kids over there...
    He's from Edinburg North. He puts the shot 50' and throws the discus 140' from the power throw. Now if he would just learn that darn spin! It's going to be tough, though, because he also plays basketball and baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by BUEY View Post
    Does anyone remember the legendary battles that Candelario "Piggy" Rivera used to have in the shot put. I remember in '86 he beat the throwers from La Porte at a meet in McAllen. It was an amazing site to see. He then would battle the throwers from Mission High in the District meets. I don't remember their names but there were two of them. They also played offensive line and blocked for Lupe Rodriguez. These battles have to go down as some of the best ever. Piggy had the grace of a gazelle as he twirled his lumpy 300 pound body around the shot put ring. As he released the shot he let out a massive grunt that even Chuck Norris would be proud of. He then would stare at his fellow competitors as if they were a 15 piece chicken box from Starlite Burger. He would intimidate these boys to no end. After he would throw he would take off his shirt and reveal all the lumps and crevices where he would summon the strength to heave the shot the distances that few could. Those were the days.
    From this non-sense, a decent thread has emerged...

Thread Information