Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.

Default Become a Wrestling Coach

In efforts to help promote the sport of wrestling in the RGV. I am calling on any and all wrestling alumni and wrestling enthusiasts to become much more involved in the sport. Many feel that we need to get kids to start wrestling at a much younger age down here in the Valley. This is very true, we do need to be getting kids to start wrestling at a younger age. However, who will be coaching them? I hold wrestling tournaments throughout the summer for a few reasons:

1. In an effort to keep wrestling going as year round as possible. So that wrestlers don't get too rusty.

2. Promote the sport.

3. Allow for a wider range of age.

4. Create an allstar team to compete outside the Valley during the summer. (This is still one of the main reasons for the summer tournaments so that Valley wrestlers gain more exposure outside the RGV)

We had a decent turn out at the last tournament. We went to Round Robin format and every wrestler had at least 3 matches. There were 10 groups and only one group had 2 matches each wrestler. One group had 4 matches each wrestler.

The main reason for this message is to express the need for coaches so that we may begin to start wrestling at a younger age. Many of you have knowledge in the sport regardless of whether its a lot or a little its still more than those that don't have the knowledge. Be honest with yourself and your students. I don't know everything that there is to know about wrestling and I don't claim to but I do know what I teach and their is a reason why I teach it. It doesn't matter if your still in highschool or if you've been away from the mat for a while. I learned more about wrestling when I started to coach then I did when I wrestled.

The bottom line is participate. This is an attempt to promote the sport. Lets become organized. Probably the best way to achieve our overall goal is to get the schools and the boys and girls club involved. The two governing bodies to take into consideration is AAU Wrestling and USA Wrestling. For price AAU would probably be better especially since most boys & girls club are already associated with AAU. However USA Wrestling has all the major events. AAU has major events also but USA Wrestling is the major governing body for the U.S. They hold the olympic trials and world trials. This is were my idea of Valley Allstars come in. Its easier to pay for 30-40 USA Membership cards than it is to pay for all the wrestlers in the Valley. Under proper care and supervision many schools would probably be willing to allow for their wrestling mats to be used. That is why our best avenues would be to work with the schools and the boys and girls club. Obviously this would require time and effort that would be compensated through the outcomes on the mat. Especially during these hard times its become harder and harder to make ends meet so volunteer work would be required.

How many times have you had or known a wrestler make it to regionals or state and just barely lose or do well but end up losing due to mostly inexperience and technique not conditioning or strength.

I am looking to organize our community of wrestling families and aficionados. If you wish to help in these efforts you can contact me through e-mail, mail, or phone.

Dan Rodriguez
    Imperial Wrestling
    2113 Eisenhower Dr.
    Weslaco, TX 78596
    dlr78596@yahoo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    In efforts to help promote the sport of wrestling in the RGV. I am calling on any and all wrestling alumni and wrestling enthusiasts to become much more involved in the sport. Many feel that we need to get kids to start wrestling at a much younger age down here in the Valley. This is very true, we do need to be getting kids to start wrestling at a younger age. However, who will be coaching them? I hold wrestling tournaments throughout the summer for a few reasons:

1. In an effort to keep wrestling going as year round as possible. So that wrestlers don't get too rusty.

2. Promote the sport.

3. Allow for a wider range of age.

4. Create an allstar team to compete outside the Valley during the summer. (This is still one of the main reasons for the summer tournaments so that Valley wrestlers gain more exposure outside the RGV)

We had a decent turn out at the last tournament. We went to Round Robin format and every wrestler had at least 3 matches. There were 10 groups and only one group had 2 matches each wrestler. One group had 4 matches each wrestler.

The main reason for this message is to express the need for coaches so that we may begin to start wrestling at a younger age. Many of you have knowledge in the sport regardless of whether its a lot or a little its still more than those that don't have the knowledge. Be honest with yourself and your students. I don't know everything that there is to know about wrestling and I don't claim to but I do know what I teach and their is a reason why I teach it. It doesn't matter if your still in highschool or if you've been away from the mat for a while. I learned more about wrestling when I started to coach then I did when I wrestled.

The bottom line is participate. This is an attempt to promote the sport. Lets become organized. Probably the best way to achieve our overall goal is to get the schools and the boys and girls club involved. The two governing bodies to take into consideration is AAU Wrestling and USA Wrestling. For price AAU would probably be better especially since most boys & girls club are already associated with AAU. However USA Wrestling has all the major events. AAU has major events also but USA Wrestling is the major governing body for the U.S. They hold the olympic trials and world trials. This is were my idea of Valley Allstars come in. Its easier to pay for 30-40 USA Membership cards than it is to pay for all the wrestlers in the Valley. Under proper care and supervision many schools would probably be willing to allow for their wrestling mats to be used. That is why our best avenues would be to work with the schools and the boys and girls club. Obviously this would require time and effort that would be compensated through the outcomes on the mat. Especially during these hard times its become harder and harder to make ends meet so volunteer work would be required.

How many times have you had or known a wrestler make it to regionals or state and just barely lose or do well but end up losing due to mostly inexperience and technique not conditioning or strength.

I am looking to organize our community of wrestling families and aficionados. If you wish to help in these efforts you can contact me through e-mail, mail, or phone.

Dan Rodriguez
    Imperial Wrestling
    2113 Eisenhower Dr.
    Weslaco, TX 78596
    dlr78596@yahoo.com
    i don't know too much about the sport aside from the basics, but i'd be willing to help in anyway i can. if you get anything going and you need help just send me a pm and if i can make it then i'll be there for sure. i agree that we need more of these kinds of things for our kids in the valley to get involved in. that's why i do what i do with football and boxing.

Junior Varsity

if your still in highschool or if you've been away from the mat for a while. I learned more about wrestling when I started to coach then I did when I wrestled.

Immortal

It's rare you see a thread that is a year and half old with 2 posts resurrected like this. Wow.

Go AP Falcons.

Junior Varsity

The sports Of wrestling to have an addictive quality, it and many players just can not escape the mat once their competitive career is over. Many players choose to stay close in the sport as a coach. The process of becoming a coach, a lot of work, and it is difficult to know where to start. This guide is for anyone to become a coach, regardless of skill level or experience.

Cove see us this spring at the Rio Grande Wrestling club, Tues - Thurs in Sharyland and Mon - Wed at McHi. Was a great start last year and no one knew about us. This year we expect more kids so we need some more coaches or those willingto coach.

www.rgvwrestling.com

I will be updating the site soon once I get the start up dates nailed down from Coach P.

Junior Varsity

I do not know everything there is to know about the sport and I do not pretend, but I know what I teach, and is one reason why I teach. It does not matter if you are still in high school, or if you have been absent from the carpet for a while.

Thread Information