Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.

Thread: STFC 6

Default STFC 6

Former Valley Wrestler in fight for championship belt.

http://www.txmma.com/modules.php?nam...=131517#131517

Ultimate Fighter
    Daily to face Gregory at STFC in McAllen
    April 3, 2009 - 10:54 AM
    By JOHN CANNON/Mid-Valley Town Crier
    WESLACO Weslaco native Joseph Daily never imagined that his high school wrestling career would make such an impact converting to Mixed Martial Arts.

"When I was a senior in 2007, I was a member of the Weslaco High School wrestling team and we were one of the top teams in the Valley," said Daily. "Coach John Glapa put us through very strenuous workouts and instilled discipline as well. Glapa demanded perfection every time we were on the mats and that is probably why he won seven straight district titles while he was coaching at Weslaco."

"We did a lot of conditioning with our legs, which consisted of running bleachers, as well as sprints. A lot of what I learned in wrestling has helped me in Mixed Martial Arts and the workouts are pretty easy to adapt to as well."

Daily (4-0) will get the opportunity of a lifetime as he will face Keo Gregory (5-1) of San Antoniofor the South Texas Fighting Championships Welterweight title next Saturday in the main event of the South Texas Fighting Championship at the McAllen Convention Center.

"This is going to be my toughest fight to date," said Daily. "Gregory trains with former UFC fighter Pete Sprat and is the first opponent that has a little bit of a wrestling background."

But, Daily feels that with his wrestling background, as well as a few other styles he has added to his arsenal, he has a good chance of staying undefeated.

"I have added a little bit of Jiu-Jitsu, as well as Muy-Thai to my grappling and wrestling skills," said Daily. "With all of those different techniques combined, I can take this guy down and win the match. About the only way he is going to beat me is if he catches me with a wild punch or a haymaker. Also, I have to stay from a submission move as well."

"This is my title and I want it real bad. He is moving down in weight to face me and I want to prove that he needs to stay in his original weight class."

Mike Valle, Daily's trainer, said that Daily has been training extremely hard for this fight and feels that he will be in perfect condition for next Saturday's fight.

"Joseph has been putting in a lot of time at the gym and I feel he is ready," said Valle. "Our game plan is that we are going to beat Gregory at his own game and that is to stand up and fight with him. But, if he wants to go to the ground and pound game, we can do that as well."

Paul Olmeda, co-promoter of the South Texas Fighting championships, said that he expects this main event to be a battle between Daily and Gregory.

"Both of these fighters are top contenders for this belt and I expect it to be one heck of a fight," said Olmeda. "It is a very evenly matched fight and both of these guys are going to pull out all of the stops to win the title."

Hall of Famer

yea big big fight for Joseph a former district champ wrestler for The Weslaco High Panthers. Its gonna be a huge fight ill be out there to watch. Good luck to Joseph.

Hall of Famer

Hey king wat time does it start at?

Doors open at 7pm fight starts at 8pm

Thread Information