Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Heisman Winner

When Solis was at EE they had a combination or Slot T and Spread which was very successful. Back then the kids played and the coaches coached. The administration supported the team and the school board wasn't involved.
    Last edited by handy manny; 10-07-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Yes he did have a good record and gave the panthers many winning seasons. That being said the panthers only got out of the second round one time and that was with mishak rivas as a senior. I think maybe the sot t might work in a lower classification playoff wise. But if ee want's him then they should go get him. Is there a reason other teams haven't picked him up?
    What other team has made it to final 16 ? Iím sure couple teams have .but he had panthers in playoffs year in and year out . Letís be real the 3rd round is the dead end for 99% of valley teams . Show me a team with a better record in last 12 years . With same coach

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post
    Even vs. Harlingen?

Iím not taking the homer angle here...just curious.
    He was 3-4 head to head against manny and Harlingen . I may be mistaken.. I also know know Harlingen destroyed Weslaco a few times as well .

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by el stumpyonne View Post
    What other team has made it to final 16 ? Iím sure couple teams have .but he had panthers in playoffs year in and year out . Letís be real the 3rd round is the dead end for 99% of valley teams . Show me a team with a better record in last 12 years . With same coach
    That's the point it seemed for the panthers the second round was the dead end. I don't believe Tony vs slot t ever beat a 296a school. The only out of valley football team I believe Tony v's slot t beat was a non district game vs. Alice in how many years he was there? I've said it for years the Weslaco panthers have to much talent to limit it to a running squad and not utilize the rest of the athletes. While the 3rd round is a dead end not only for valley teams but most teams in the state....I'd rather earn an opportunity to play a 3rd round team and get routed than play a 3rd round team in non district and get routed. The difference is one game is earned and the other is penciled in.
    Last edited by Truth; 10-08-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Premium

That's the point it seemed for the panthers the second round was the dead end. I don't believe Tony vs slot t ever beat a 296a school. The only out of valley football team I believe Tony v's slot t beat was a non district game vs. Alice in how many years he was there? I've said it for years the Weslaco panthers have to much talent to limit it to a running squad and not utilize the rest of the athletes. While the 3rd round is a dead end not only for valley teams but most teams in the state....I'd rather earn an opportunity to play a 3rd round team and get routed than play a 3rd round team in non district and get routed. The difference is one game is earned and the other is penciled in.
    He made weslaco relevant
    What did you all do before
    Nothing
    All of a sudden it's weslaco
    Has all world talent
    Weslaco was also saved this by not being in San Benito and Harlingen district
    Vela is the only real team in the upper valley. Like how weslaco peeps talk about ee tyfa when weslaco is as bad or worse.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rang66 View Post
    He made weslaco relevant
    What did you all do before
    Nothing
    All of a sudden it's weslaco
    Has all world talent
    Weslaco was also saved this by not being in San Benito and Harlingen district
    Vela is the only real team in the upper valley. Like how weslaco peeps talk about ee tyfa when weslaco is as bad or worse.
    Now all of a sudden Weslaco is irrelevant because your hero Tony v isn't there? If he was still there would the panthers be relevant? Give me a break. This isn't about Tony v the man this about the system. What a coincidence that he came in during the mishap years. That was a good way to launch the program . Again while he had success during the season it didn't translate into playoff success and that's where fans finally had enough. They saw that there was more potential to the panthers. AND we'll find out under a new coach if there is or not. I think most folks are happy with the transition.

Premium

Now all of a sudden Weslaco is irrelevant because your hero Tony v isn't there? If he was still there would the panthers be relevant? Give me a break. This isn't about Tony v the man this about the system. What a coincidence that he came in during the mishap years. That was a good way to launch the program . Again while he had success during the season it didn't translate into playoff success and that's where fans finally had enough. They saw that there was more potential to the panthers. AND we'll find out under a new coach if there is or not. I think most folks are happy with the transition.
    What playoff sucees have you ever had before him
    You all where cellar dwellers
    Before him
    I compare you all to dog that bites the hand that feeds it
    What a joke

Hall of Famer

EE should have waited to the end of the season, then decide. Harlingen is also struggling with less talent, teams all over go thru that cycle.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rang66 View Post
    What playoff sucees have you ever had before him
    You all where cellar dwellers
    Before him
    I compare you all to dog that bites the hand that feeds it
    What a joke
    It's nothing like that....weslaco was just ready to take the next step to move forward. Exactly right....weslaco has only gone once to the 3rd round since 1991...if I'm not mistaken. But again since Tony v was there his only 3rd round appeared cell was with a mishak rivas as a senior team. He had hit his level and there was nothing moving forward.

Let me ask you this, why didn't the taprons pick up Tony v when they had there coaching problems and why hasn't Tony v been picked up with all the coaching troubles going around?

Truth , I know you have never been a fan of Tony V and that’s your choice . But in my home I have 3 bi di champs over a span of 8 years . Moreso the respect his players have for him is far reaching . His hall of fame success doesn’t require anyone’s approval for future employment. 20 years of no district championship or playoff appearances until he arrived. Tony V is about education first and pushed all his players for college readiness. He knew their future was in educated citizens.,He is sought after but his proven success comes with a hefty salary .much deserved and well earned .
    But this isn’t about Weslaco !! This is about Edcouch-Elsa yellow jackets football .. i truly hope they find a coach of the caliber of one Tony V . La Maquina is a storied program and valley football needs edcouch -Elsa representing every year!

Immortal

Truth , I know you have never been a fan of Tony V and that’s your choice . But in my home I have 3 bi di champs over a span of 8 years . Moreso the respect his players have for him is far reaching . His hall of fame success doesn’t require anyone’s approval for future employment. 20 years of no district championship or playoff appearances until he arrived. Tony V is about education first and pushed all his players for college readiness. He knew their future was in educated citizens.,He is sought after but his proven success comes with a hefty salary .much deserved and well earned .
    But this isn’t about Weslaco !! This is about Edcouch-Elsa yellow jackets football .. i truly hope they find a coach of the caliber of one Tony V . La Maquina is a storied program and valley football needs edcouch -Elsa representing every year!
    I understand what your saying, that's why I said this isn't about the man its about his coaching. I'm sure he's a great guy and gives the kids good messages as all coaches are supposed to do. I'm simply stating that Tony v got as far as he could at weslaco high and he was not going to go any further. I understand that's something a lot of valley teams deal with but folks in weslaco were looking to take that next step.

Who is going to higher Tony v if he is not willing to budge...if that is simply the case. The fact is if he is so sought after wouldnt schools be willing to pay him what he wants? I remember he applied for the harl south job a few years back.didn't get it.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    EE should have waited to the end of the season, then decide. Harlingen is also struggling with less talent, teams all over go thru that cycle.
    The kid were not responding to Chavez. E-E was avg. 4 first down a game. 1 in the first half and the other 3 against the other teams 2nd string. The were also avg. 125 yards a game. They had 8/8 retuning starters from a team that was avg 369 yards a game last year. Also they were 1-5 and got blown out 4 of those losses. In 5 of those games they didn't score in The first 3 qtrs.and were shutout twice.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    The kid were not responding to Chavez. E-E was avg. 4 first down a game. 1 in the first half and the other 3 against the other teams 2nd string. The were also avg. 125 yards a game. They had 8/8 retuning starters from a team that was avg 369 yards a game last year. Also they were 1-5 and got blown out 4 of those losses. In 5 of those games they didn't score in The first 3 qtrs.and were shutout twice.

Lmka, the number of returning starters doesn’t mean anything. If those returning players are not continuing http develop off hitting the weight loss room in off-season or even going to summer strength and conditioning what does it matter how many return?

I did see about 5-7 kids during the camp circuit and I asked a few if they had been attending summer strength and conditioning thier response was no, I dnt have time and I have my own trainer. What does that tell ya???

He was 3-4 head to head against manny and Harlingen . I may be mistaken.. I also know know Harlingen destroyed Weslaco a few times as well .
    Wow, I didn’t even think it was that many games.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by handy manny View Post
    When Solis was at EE they had a combination or Slot T and Spread which was very successful. Back then the kids played and the coaches coached. The administration supported the team and the school board wasn't involved.
    Handy Manny did you forget what happen at thend of the 2007 season. The school board tried to fire Solis and Replace him with Menchaca. This is after Solis had won 5 straight DC without a single district loss. He had a 46-4 record at E-E at the time. So why didn't they fire him? Because the public got the info about the were going to do at the board meeting and more than 400 people attended the meeting. So what did they do instead when the saw the angry Voter in attendance. The extended his contract and gave him a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post
    Lmka, the number of returning starters doesn’t mean anything. If those returning players are not continuing http develop off hitting the weight loss room in off-season or even going to summer strength and conditioning what does it matter how many return?

I did see about 5-7 kids during the camp circuit and I asked a few if they had been attending summer strength and conditioning thier response was no, I dnt have time and I have my own trainer. What does that tell ya???
    He's got a point you but what do I know

Immortal

And who was the one or two coaches that they would show up before Chavez? Joe and Martin Marichalar. Who was in charge of the State Powerlifting Championship team. Martin Marichalar and he was one of the Asst. that didn't return to E-E when the season started. So who was to blame for that?

Legend

My Social Networking

What do you mean? Doesn’t EE have a strength coach? Also Coach Marichalar stepped down when school made decision. So no ones fault.

And who was the one or two coaches that they would show up before Chavez? Joe and Martin Marichalar. Who was in charge of the State Powerlifting Championship team. Martin Marichalar and he was one of the Asst. that didn't return to E-E when the season started. So who was to blame for that?

Immortal

What do you mean? Doesnít EE have a strength coach? Also Coach Marichalar stepped down when school made decision. So no ones fault.
    They do have a strength and conditioning coach. But Martin and Joe Marichalar were the motivating coach. Also he step down because he was going to have less of an influence on the team with the new staff coming in. Also was told that they didn't know who they were retaining since he was also bringing in a new DC and 3 more coaches.
    Last edited by lmka; 10-08-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Legend

My Social Networking

They do have a strength and conditioning coach. But Martin and Joe Marichalar were the motivating coach. Also he step down because he was going to have less of an influence on the team with the new staff coming in. Also was told that they didn't know who they were retaining since he was also bringing in a new DC and 3 more coaches.

Ok well you answered your own question as to who’s fault it was Martin wasn’t coaching.

Thread Information