2 9.09%
  • Bulldogs by <7

1 4.55%
  • Bulldogs by >10

13 59.09%
  • Game gets canceled

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I will take average to low athletes with great coaching any day. You will always have a couple of Joe Reyna's (talent) to add to that group.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    Would you rather have naturally talented great athletes with low to average coaching or average to low athletes with great coaching ?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by BRWC View Post
    "On the road again..."

Not liking our chances after WE game. Cards need tons of work and so do the coaches, maybe more the coaches than team, but I'm sure others will agree.

Sincere question. Why do you all say there's something wrong with your offense, I thought you all scored 30 something points in that first game or 2?

Could it be that that East defense is the best one around these parts? I hear they brought back a lot of their studs back from last year.

I'm more than sure the cards will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by panther85 View Post
    Sincere question. Why do you all say there's something wrong with your offense, I thought you all scored 30 something points in that first game or 2?

Could it be that that East defense is the best one around these parts? I hear they brought back a lot of their studs back from last year.

Easy question, but a good one.

Vs. sub-par defenses, the offense looks good.

Vs. a good defense, the offense is weak.
    Last edited by cardinal85; 09-26-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Varsity

I wouldn't say our offense as a whole is bad but there are aspects of the offense that are not consistent and when playing a good defense (Weslaco East) those inconsistency are exposed. From my own perspective, watching from the stands, the first issue is we lack a running back with either the size or the aggressiveness to break through the initial hit. Let's face it, we got spoiled with having Leo. Our running backs, in the prior year as well as current, hesitate or try to dance around, instead of lowering their shoulder and attempting to blow through the initial hit. One only has to see how ineffective we are at running up the middle. Our line is struggling a bit but I believe only 1 returned from the prior year. That being said, Harlingen has been in an offensive lineman drought for years. Our genetic diversity is gone. We have all of the 5-7 to 5-10 players a coach could ask for but anything over that is pretty non-existent with the exception of a rare few. You can't expect a 5-10, 235lb kid with 35%-40% body fat to advance the line against another kid who is his superior in both height and weight. Strength is also an issue and I actually agree with Halinche who indicated that there is a lack of preparation in the offseason. You can not coach a person's discipline when it comes to developing size and strength. You can tell him how to achieve it but in the end it is up to the individual. The results are easily measured by the simple fact that when the center hikes the ball, the line of scrimmage is seldom advanced by the line as a unit. That being said, Weslaco East did a lot of blitzing and when the back field is predominately empty, there is no one to pick up the blitz. Hats off to the WE coach for identifying that we have a relatively inexperienced quarter back (as we did in the prior year) who is not 100% sure of what to do and he forced mistakes.
    As to coaching, I will finally admit that there is a glaring lack of innovation when it comes to play calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
    I wouldn't say our offense as a whole is bad but there are aspects of the offense that are not consistent and when playing a good defense (Weslaco East) those inconsistency are exposed. From my own perspective, watching from the stands, the first issue is we lack a running back with either the size or the aggressiveness to break through the initial hit. Let's face it, we got spoiled with having Leo. Our running backs, in the prior year as well as current, hesitate or try to dance around, instead of lowering their shoulder and attempting to blow through the initial hit. One only has to see how ineffective we are at running up the middle. Our line is struggling a bit but I believe only 1 returned from the prior year. That being said, Harlingen has been in an offensive lineman drought for years. Our genetic diversity is gone. We have all of the 5-7 to 5-10 players a coach could ask for but anything over that is pretty non-existent with the exception of a rare few. You can't expect a 5-10, 235lb kid with 35%-40% body fat to advance the line against another kid who is his superior in both height and weight. Strength is also an issue and I actually agree with Halinche who indicated that there is a lack of preparation in the offseason. You can not coach a person's discipline when it comes to developing size and strength. You can tell him how to achieve it but in the end it is up to the individual. The results are easily measured by the simple fact that when the center hikes the ball, the line of scrimmage is seldom advanced by the line as a unit. That being said, Weslaco East did a lot of blitzing and when the back field is predominately empty, there is no one to pick up the blitz. Hats off to the WE coach for identifying that we have a relatively inexperienced quarter back (as we did in the prior year) who is not 100% sure of what to do and he forced mistakes.
    As to coaching, I will finally admit that there is a glaring lack of innovation when it comes to play calling.
    Well said but I will try and be optimistic about the East game, you could say the East offense was pretty much the same against our defense.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

Hall of Famer

Well said but I will try and be optimistic about the East game, you could say the East offense was pretty much the same against our defense.
    That may be the word I was looking for: optimism.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post

Well that would be just about every team out there.

Please quit these rocket science posts.

Well that would be just about every team out there.
    Ha, true. What I’m getting at is, our offensive leadership gets flustered and the play calling/scheming becomes random. The fact that a run game hasn’t been developed the past couple of years has contributed to these poor performances vs. good defenses. Overall, Harlingen doesn’t seem to have an offensive identity, their bread and butter.

I’m just trying to get to your level.
    Last edited by cardinal85; 09-27-2018 at 06:48 AM.

Iím just trying to get to your level.

Ha, true. What Iím getting at is, our offensive leadership gets flustered and the play calling/scheming becomes random. The fact that a run game hasnít been developed the past couple of years has contributed to these poor performances vs. good defenses. Overall, Harlingen doesnít seem to have an offensive identity, their bread and butter.
    Totally agree with that no identity at all.

Lucio is calling plays this week. Ledesma's dad just had open heart surgery recently.

Quote Originally Posted by 12th Man View Post
    Lucio is calling plays this week. Ledesma's dad just had open heart surgery recently.
    Is that an improvement ? Doubt it.

Is that an improvement ? Doubt it.
    I think Lucio can do better...

I’ve seen him at the JV level calling plays...not that great, but then again, it’s JV.

MVP

Same playbook different ways of calling them

Heisman Winner

Meet me in Cardinals Cafe guys.

2x - 5A Regional Finalists ('89 & '11)
    12x - 5A/6A Regional Semifinalists ('88, '89, '94, '96, '97, '03, '05, '08, '09, '10, '11, '15)
    31x - Consecutive regular season game winning streak ('08-'11) *RGV 5A record
    38x - District Champions
    40x - Playoff trips *RGV record

BOTA- Cardinals lead 62-24-5
    Bird Bowl- Cardinals lead 22-4

Ledesma's playbook does not include running the option. So watch for that good or bad!?
    Quote Originally Posted by joker93 View Post
    Same playbook different ways of calling them

Heisman Winner

Lucio has been there forever. If he was any better then I would think he would have been the one calling plays already.

As for our offense, I’m putting it on the guy calling the plays. Zero innovation as someone posted earlier. Also, once defenses make adjustments we don’t seem to have a counter and that’s been true for years. WE was able to predict which direction the ball was going on almost every play. I still think the horses are there to have a dynamic offense. Castellanos is a really big loss though. He will be out for season.

Thread Information