Donna Redskins 1-1
    PSJA Southwest 1-1
    Rio Grande City 1-1
    Brownsville Lopez 0-2
    Brownsville Porter 0-2
    PSJA Memorial 0-2

Week 3 Predictions

Brownsville Veterans (W) -vs- PSJA Memorial
    Brownsville Porter -vs- Brownsville Lopez (W)
    Brownsville Pace (W) -vs- PSJA Southwest
    La Joya Palmview (W) -vs- Donna Redskins
    Mission Veterans (W) -vs- Rio Grande City
    Last edited by Brownzilla956; 09-19-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Brownzilla956 View Post
    ** District Standings **

Mission Veterans 2-0
    La Joya Palmview 2-0
    Brownsville Pace 2-0
    Brownsville Veterans 1-1
    Donna Redskins 1-1
    PSJA Southwest 1-1
    Rio Grande City 1-1
    Brownsville Lopez 0-2
    Brownsville Porter 0-2
    PSJA Memorial 0-2

Week 3 Predictions

Brownsville Veterans (W) -vs- PSJA Memorial
    Brownsville Porter -vs- Brownsville Lopez (W)
    Brownsville Pace (W) -vs- PSJA Southwest
    La Joya Palmview (W) -vs- Donna Redskins
    Mission Veterans (W) -vs- Rio Grande City
    Not a very strong district! Mission vets will run undefeated this year!!

Super Moderator

Donna's defense will keep them in games..solid group but tend to give up big plays. They don't have have that dominant player up front on either side of the ball. Offensively they are opening it up more than I'm used to seeing but still look small and young. Special teams looks good. With out knowing much of the other teams I can see donna at the 4th spot and climbing.

Moderator in Training

Your right about that RPM. The defense will keep them in games. LB Sandoval is a wrecking ball. They been playing lights out on defense. Offensively, Nino blew up last night at wr with two receiving tds. The difference from last year is that they are staying healthy. They will be in the thick of things .
    I'm not afraid to think outside the box or put 8 in it.

Super Moderator

What's up with the Veteran schools?

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    What's up with the Veteran schools?
    Mission Veterans and Brownsville Veterans are probably top two teams in the district . Mission Vets beat Brownsville Vets last Saturday .

Moderator in Training

Brownsville Veterans is no where near the team they were last year. I think we could see a three way tie for first between Pace, Mission Veterans and Donna. This is really a fun district, should be tight race all the way trough till the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Brownsville Veterans is no where near the team they were last year. I think we could see a three way tie for first between Pace, Mission Veterans and Donna. This is really a fun district, should be tight race all the way trough till the last week.
    Granted the dynamics of every team changes yearly due to graduation, what specifically in your opinion makes BVM such an inferior or lesser team as compared to the 2017 team? Also, for your three-way tie prediction to materialize, Donna would need to win all remaining games and someone would need to beat MVM and Pace. Who do you predict will topple those two teams? Really appreciate your feedback!

Moderator in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Night Lights View Post
    Granted the dynamics of every team changes yearly due to graduation, what specifically in your opinion makes BVM such an inferior or lesser team as compared to the 2017 team? Also, for your three-way tie prediction to materialize, Donna would need to win all remaining games and someone would need to beat MVM and Pace. Who do you predict will topple those two teams? Really appreciate your feedback!
    This is just my opinion, but it all starts with the QB. The 2017 team was lead by Mr do it all Gustavo Vasquez. He was dominant and took over games last year. He only threw for close to 1200 over the air and 26 touchdowns on the ground as he rushed for 1600 yards.

Liam Longoria now leads the chargers and I think only had 1 TD coming into this past week game with a 45% CMP. Longoria might turn out to be a great QB in the future but Vasquez set the bar pretty high for the underclassmen. Now thereís several other players I can talk about that were on the 2017 team that I think made them go 7-0 in District and a outright district championship plus help them reach the area round of the playoff but none bigger than Vasquez.

Now my three way tie is not a prediction but I could see it happening. I think Donna has a great defense that can keep them in games. They should have beat Pace but settled on to many field goals. Do I expect anybody to beat Mission Vets, no. But itís not impossible and anything can happen.

Just my two cents .

Super Moderator

I want to say I saw Brownsville Veterans vs Donna last year and I remember the QB....big kid ran the ball well. They were a pretty big team as far as size across the lines.

This is just my opinion, but it all starts with the QB. The 2017 team was lead by Mr do it all Gustavo Vasquez. He was dominant and took over games last year. He only threw for close to 1200 over the air and 26 touchdowns on the ground as he rushed for 1600 yards.

Liam Longoria now leads the chargers and I think only had 1 TD coming into this past week game with a 45% CMP. Longoria might turn out to be a great QB in the future but Vasquez set the bar pretty high for the underclassmen. Now thereís several other players I can talk about that were on the 2017 team that I think made them go 7-0 in District and a outright district championship plus help them reach the area round of the playoff but none bigger than Vasquez.

Now my three way tie is not a prediction but I could see it happening. I think Donna has a great defense that can keep them in games. They should have beat Pace but settled on to many field goals. Do I expect anybody to beat Mission Vets, no. But itís not impossible and anything can happen.

Just my two cents .
    Thanks for the discussion Boost. Without a doubt Gustavo Vasquez was a beast and led the Chargers with dominance in 2017.

Just for grins, since you pointed out the Vasquez/Longoria difference specifically, I researched the stats for the first four games in 2017 for Vasquez and the first four games for Longoria in 2018 and this is what popped out:

VASQUEZ 2017: Pass ATT/COMP-28/58; Yards-366; TDs 1; INTs 4
    LONGORIA 2018: Pass ATT/COMP-43/73; Yards-608; TDs 5; INTs 0

VASQUEZ 2017: Carries-63; Yards-516; TDs-6
    LONGORIA 2018: Carries-46; Yards-175; TDs-10*

I think that 1 TD 45% CMP are the stats for Sharyland's QB also surnamed Longoria.

* As per a post on another thread, to date Longoria leads all Texas QBs in 5A and 6A in rushing TDs.

Hall of Famer

Thanks for the discussion Boost. Without a doubt Gustavo Vasquez was a beast and led the Chargers with dominance in 2017.

Just for grins, since you pointed out the Vasquez/Longoria difference specifically, I researched the stats for the first four games in 2017 for Vasquez and the first four games for Longoria in 2018 and this is what popped out:

VASQUEZ 2017: Pass ATT/COMP-28/58; Yards-366; TDs 1; INTs 4
    LONGORIA 2018: Pass ATT/COMP-43/73; Yards-608; TDs 5; INTs 0

VASQUEZ 2017: Carries-63; Yards-516; TDs-6
    LONGORIA 2018: Carries-46; Yards-175; TDs-10*

I think that 1 TD 45% CMP are the stats for Sharyland's QB also surnamed Longoria.

* As per a post on another thread, to date Longoria leads all Texas QBs in 5A and 6A in rushing TDs.
    So what you are stating with the facts is Vasquez had 882 total yds with 7 total tds and 4 int vs Longorias 783 total yds with 15 total tds and zero ints.

I think its very hard to replace a talent like Vasquez but i will gladly take 99 less total yds if i get 8 more tds and 4 less ints all day anyday. While Longoria is not as imposing as Vasquez he us proving to be more than capable to carry on the standard set by Marco Munoz followed by Derrick Rodriguez then Marcus Castillo and then Vasquez. Longoria will be his own player after all is said and done and looks like a solid team with him as many current players are juniors.

Quote Originally Posted by BFC View Post
    So what you are stating with the facts is Vasquez had 882 total yds with 7 total tds and 4 int vs Longorias 783 total yds with 15 total tds and zero ints.

I think its very hard to replace a talent like Vasquez but i will gladly take 99 less total yds if i get 8 more tds and 4 less ints all day anyday. While Longoria is not as imposing as Vasquez he us proving to be more than capable to carry on the standard set by Marco Munoz followed by Derrick Rodriguez then Marcus Castillo and then Vasquez. Longoria will be his own player after all is said and done and looks like a solid team with him as many current players are juniors.
    I think it's safe to say that just about everyone in Charger Land misses Vasquez. Whether we like it or not, his flavor has been discontinued; but, the new flavor is pretty darn smooth! Less filling, tastes great . . . along those lines, all day any day.

Moderator in Training

Quote Originally Posted by BFC View Post

Vasques first 4 games.

Edinburg North
    Rivera
    Edinburg Vela
    Pace

Longoria first 4 games.

Brownsville Rivera
    Brownsville Lopez
    Mission Vets
    PSJA Memorial

I donít want to beat a dead horse here but I think Longoria stats might be misleading when Vasquez played tougher competition right off the gate.

But I do agree Longoria will be his own player and might do great things but to say this year team is superior to last year is a litter far fetched.

Super Moderator

Who's coaching Brownsville Vets?

Moderator in Training

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Who's coaching Brownsville Vets?
    Former Los Fresnos coordinator David Cantu.

I donít want to beat a dead horse here but I think Longoria stats might be misleading when Vasquez played tougher competition right off the gate.
    Are you referring to the stats that you invented to justify your position or the certified player stats I posted?

Moderator in Training

Are you referring to the stats that you invented to justify your position or the certified player stats I posted?
    The stats I used were the ones that were submitted to maxpreps.

But we can visit this conversation after the season when the Chargers go undeafted in district, win the outright district championship and go pass the area round.

Enjoy!

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

But we can visit this conversation after the season when the Chargers go undeafted in district, win the outright district championship and go pass the area round.

Enjoy!

Didn’t the chargers already lose 1 in district?

Hall of Famer

Enjoy!
    Is this a Chargers 17 vs 18 discussion, a Vasquez vs Longoria debate, comparison of teams played against? All have been brought up so I will answer that 17 Chargers will probably be better than 18 team, Longoria is a better QB than Vasquez was if you compare junior season vs junior season. If I remember correctly Vasquez did not play Sophomore season with the Chargers as he was transferring from Florida where he played some linebacker so in essence he was rusty at QB play in the beginning of his Junior season vs Longoria he is playing solid ball so I will give it to Longoria. As for the teams they pretty much cancel out each other. Vela was good last year but so is this years Mission Vets plus Vela did not have a caliber a player as Gilpin. As for DC this year we know that Chargers will most likely not win it as the biggest chance belongs rightfully to Mission Vets. Bottom line both teams are good in their own regard and both kids are special in their own regard. Now next year we can expect Veterans to be a better team due to the growth of this current crop as most of the skill players playing right now are Juniors. Then maybe that could be a fair game comparison vs the 17 team.

Thread Information