5 45.45%
  • Port Isabel

6 54.55%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Retired Super Moderator

That's game. 21-14 La Feria

Much better showing compared to last year. Still, turnovers..... SMH

Legend

Final 21-14. Great game the fumble to give LF ball on PIs 14 did it. Still PI held its own both on O and D. O in 1st half D in 2nd half. Great game to the end. Losing our starter QB in the final minutes was also a bummer.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post

Day and night from last year for sure. Was there some people there of Campbell Mag. or was it the other one.

Retired Super Moderator

Matt Stepp from DCTF was there, yes.

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

Strunk is a great motivator

Legend

Matt Stepp from DCTF was there, yes.
    They chose a good one. Like to see what they say of the game.

Retired Super Moderator

Tweet by Matt Stepp

FINAL LaFeria 21 Port Isabel 14 excellent game two good teams played an old school slugfest #txhsfb @dctf #RGVWeek4

Legend

Felt turnovers would make the difference, but not this close of a game. I was giving the edge to LF due to PIs younger team and learning new program. Still it could have gone either way. Tarpons surprised on their tenacity tonight.

Legend

Hope Tarpons keep improving. Hope QB injury not that bad and is back soon. He is a key player this season.
    Last edited by TarpnForce73; 09-21-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Legend

Tweet by Matt Stepp

FINAL LaFeria 21 Port Isabel 14 excellent game two good teams played an old school slugfest #txhsfb @dctf #RGVWeek4
    To say the least. It was a slugfest. I was imagining and hearing those boos all the way up here in Dallas on the fumble call from refs. Vamos Hay Tarpon Fans.

Retired Super Moderator

Those boos were well deserved. Dang refs.....

Legend

For all the mistakes PI made I was impressed on staying in the game. Nevertheless.

Congrats to La Feria Lions on the win!

And to the Tarpons for tenaciously holding on to the game in the midst of some mistakes and turnovers!!
    Last edited by TarpnForce73; 09-21-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Heck of a game, yes we're still having trouble with turnovers but feel better about the team moving forwars
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    ...no me hagas caso, estoy safado. Lol.

Super Moderator

My Social Networking

Follow FootballGal On Twitter

I agree tough loss, but I feel Tarpons are definitely moving foward.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdog View Post
    Go Tarpons

Super Moderator

My Social Networking

Follow FootballGal On Twitter

La Feria defeats rival Port Isabel by one TD

Sep 22, 2018 12:31 AM

FREDDY GONZALEZ | Staff Writer

LA FERIA — After a seesaw affair in which saw the teams traded touchdowns during the first half, it took one play to determine the winner as the La Feria Lions came away with a 21-14 victory over the Port Isabel Tarpons on Friday night at Lions Stadium.

With the win, the Lions improve to 4-0 on the year, and the loss drops the Tarpons to 1-3.

“These close and hard-fought games are the type of games that we need,” La Feria coach Oscar Salinas said. “Our defense did a great job in the second half shutting them down and offensively we got the done, and we got the turnover that helped turn the game around for us. We felt we were going to be in (the game) because we’ve had some tough ones this year, but the kids hung in there and did a great job.”

The big break for the Lions came during the fourth quarter, with 3:33 left on the clock, as a fumble by a Tarpons punt returner gave the ball to La Feria at the Tarpons’ 15-yard line.

Two plays later, La Feria running back Avishai Dickerson broke a tackle at the line of scrimmage and found his way to the end zone for a 21-14 lead with 2:38 left.

Down but not out, Port Isabel earned great field position on the ensuing kickoff return, but a fumble on the first play of the drive gave the ball back to the Lions.

Bryan Medina and Cesar Aguilera proved to be tough to handle for a Lions defense that came into the contest allowing an average of 170 yards per game.

Aguilera found some running room early, as the senior quarterback reached paydirt twice. The first came on a short quarterback keeper on which Aguilera stretched across the line to tie the game at 7, and his second touchdown of the evening came on a stunning 45-yard TD run down the center of the field, tying the game at 14 midway through the second quarter.

“Both Medina and Aguilera were great tonight, and you saw them,” Salinas said. “They’re a deadly one-two punch, but we made some adjustments in the second half and moved to a four-man front to try and slow them down.”

Aguilera finished with just more than 100 yards rushing and two touchdowns, and Medina posted 83 yards.

For the Lions, Dickerson had another big night, rushing for 134 yards and one touchdown on 22 carries.

“This is a great win for us against Port Isabel because we found a way to win,” Salinas said. “No win is a bad win, and we will learn from this because we are not there yet. We’re still getting better and that is the good thing about us, so we just need to stay humble and stay hungry.”

Next Friday, the Lions travel to Rivera, and the Tarpons head to Brownsville St. Joseph.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdog View Post
    Go Tarpons

Heisman Winner

First of all, refs were terrible. In addition to the obvious questionable calls we all saw against us, I also saw lots of holding by LF O-line that prevented our defense to make better tackles which the refs didn't call. We had 2 legit fumbles, but the one that the refs called a fumble when our QB was clearly down really hurt us. Refs' calls were all over the place... not blowing the whistle when forward progress stopped, blowing the whistle during forward progress, illegal motion not called on LF several times, etc.

TARPONS, however, showed toughness, perseverance, and heart. Tarpons played an awesome game, minus turnovers, last night. I do see improvement every week on both sides of the ball. Hope to see more and more improvement every week. Man, I was proud to be a Tarpon last night!!! Our boys played a heck of a game!

Anyone know if QB's injury was serious? I hope not. GO TARPONS!!!
    IT'S TARPON TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Retired Super Moderator

I just saw a replay of that "fumble". Lets just say, Coach Strunk had every right to go ballistic on the referees.

Aguilera was clearly down, basically in a sitting position. #48 from La Feria strips the ball away from him while he's in that sitting position on the ground. Refs call it a fumble. SMH

Legend

I just saw a replay of that "fumble". Lets just say, Coach Strunk had every right to go ballistic on the referees.

Aguilera was clearly down, basically in a sitting position. #48 from La Feria strips the ball away from him while he's in that sitting position on the ground. Refs call it a fumble. SMH
    Where did you see that?

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TarpnForce73 View Post
    Where did you see that?
    Watched replay from someone's Facebook feed who was at the game on my cell phone. I zoomed in and was able to see what happened.

Immortal

When was the last time LF beat PI 2 years in a row.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Thread Information