Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.

Default is it okay to relocate a principal to another school because she has an accent ?

Before I go into details I want to see what y'all think. Honestly racism is alive and well in Harlingen, and I am really not surprised because I have always said Harlingen is a white town. None the less I want to know what y'all think.
    those who serve the best .....profit the most-

lets just say I have had a bone to pick with HCISD and now that my child is not attending there( Stuart Place Elementary ) anymore now is the time for me to say it .

Quote Originally Posted by humblewarrior695 View Post
    Before I go into details I want to see what y'all think. Honestly racism is alive and well in Harlingen, and I am really not surprised because I have always said Harlingen is a white town. None the less I want to know what y'all think.
    Harlingen and HCISD are not one. HCISD leadership positions are largely Hispanic controlled.

Yes, as a white man, I’ve experienced racist attitudes my whole life in Harlingen...or is racism only a white thing?

So a principal with an accent at Stuart Place was reassigned?
    Last edited by cardinal85; 07-27-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post
    Harlingen and HCISD are not one. HCISD leadership positions are largely Hispanic controlled.

Yes, as a white man, I’ve experienced racist attitudes my whole life in Harlingen...or is racism only a white thing?

well you got me there, I apologize but it's how I feel about Harlingen being that we have only had 5 Hispanic Mayor's in all of our History. However as I went through my teaching program I noticed that there is power in the race inside of HCISD just as there is in the City and how it conducts itself- and I will probably never teach in Harlingen and that's okay I just don't like what they did to this lady-

Yes, as a white man, Iíve experienced racist attitudes my whole life in Harlingen...or is racism only a white thing?

well you got me there, I apologize but it's how I feel about Harlingen being that we have only had 5 Hispanic Mayor's in all of our History. However as I went through my teaching program I noticed that there is power in the race inside of HCISD just as there is in the City and how it conducts itself- and I will probably never teach in Harlingen and that's okay I just don't like what they did to this lady-

I believe it was here 2nd yr teaching and she doomed herself by taking away the mother child tea party for Kinder- So a white girl married to a Hispanic and a dude I know and grew up with who is white married to a Hispanic got several parents to petition this lady and have her relocated. The dude approached me and I m not sure I can say names so gonna hold off for a bit - he says hey your so and so little brother I said yes.....he asked me if I would sign a letter to remove the principal - I asked why this is only her 2nd yr ??? he replied with - well first of all she has an accent ....I was like we all do - he followed with well she is not T.H.E material and we need to compete against them-

so I asked to see the petition and I was in shock - several of my kids friends parents were on there- Hispancs- as the weeks rolled by I spoke to acouple and I acted stupid- they all said one thing I heard over and over- her accent- I told people she might have an accent and from Mexico but she has a degree not just any degree- Well they ended up relocating this lady so I called HCISD and questioned them - they said she was relocated for other reasons- so then I told them I know what happened and its a dam shame- replaced by a white? who can better compete against T.H.E ? I told them I have half the mind to call the media but not about to throw my town under the bus- until now ofcourse- I told them I saw the list and was told all about the parents plan to remove her - because of her accent??? smmfh-

I ran into this lady in HEB and I questioned her and she was very professional to my surprise - I told her I know what happened and her face said it all- she refused to bash the parents or even go into detail - she said that God is good and things happen for a reason- she said she is happy where she is and feels very blessed....I told her I never had an issue with her accent - hell English is my 2nd language- any how I asked her where was she relocated to and I was just super disappointed in HCISD- I will not say what school but it is near victor park- If you are from Harlingen you will know the huge difference in the student body and community that makes up Stuart Place and this area that she was moved to---
    disgraceful if you ask me-

I ran into this lady in HEB and I questioned her and she was very professional to my surprise - I told her I know what happened and her face said it all- she refused to bash the parents or even go into detail - she said that God is good and things happen for a reason- she said she is happy where she is and feels very blessed....I told her I never had an issue with her accent - hell English is my 2nd language- any how I asked her where was she relocated to and I was just super disappointed in HCISD- I will not say what school but it is near victor park- If you are from Harlingen you will know the huge difference in the student body and community that makes up Stuart Place and this area that she was moved to---

so I asked to see the petition and I was in shock - several of my kids friends parents were on there- Hispancs- as the weeks rolled by I spoke to acouple and I acted stupid- they all said one thing I heard over and over- her accent- I told people she might have an accent and from Mexico but she has a degree not just any degree- Well they ended up relocating this lady so I called HCISD and questioned them - they said she was relocated for other reasons- so then I told them I know what happened and its a dam shame- replaced by a white? who can better compete against T.H.E ? I told them I have half the mind to call the media but not about to throw my town under the bus- until now ofcourse- I told them I saw the list and was told all about the parents plan to remove her - because of her accent??? smmfh-
    Respectfully, I don’t think you know what exactly happened. Do you know for fact that this teacher did not ask for a transfer? Teachers move within the district all the time. Also, teachers are moved due to enrollment numbers.
    Do you know the district’s reasons for her transfer (their official reason)?

On another note, T.H.E. isn’t even the top performing elementary school, so why compete with them? Of the seventeen, T.H.E. ranks in the middle. What’s interesting is the top performing schools are in the lower socioeconomic areas of town.

Using T.H.E. as the standard makes zero sense. However, using them helps play into the race narrative...

If principals are being relocated because of their accent this would be a frequent problem and there would be no order in the district. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by greenblood; 07-29-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

The school in Victor Park is 100% Hispanic and Stuart Place is probably 90% Hispanic. Not likely a huge difference. Harlingen is not a white town.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

Respectfully, I don’t think you know what exactly happened. Do you know for fact that this teacher did not ask for a transfer? Teachers move within the district all the time. Also, teachers are moved due to enrollment numbers.
    Do you know the district’s reasons for her transfer (their official reason)?

On another note, T.H.E. isn’t even the top performing elementary school, so why compete with them? Of the seventeen, T.H.E. ranks in the middle. What’s interesting is the top performing schools are in the lower socioeconomic areas of town.

Using T.H.E. as the standard makes zero sense. However, using them helps play into the race narrative...
    I know exactly what happened I was there, I was approached, iiwii

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    If principals are being relocated because of their accent this would be a frequent problem and there would be no order in the district. Just my opinion.
    Principals are not being relocated- this one was singled out by parents- white and Hispanic- and trust me this did happen and this was the one reason these parents kept using - her accent- its chetty

Principals are not being relocated- this one was singled out by parents- white and Hispanic- and trust me this did happen and this was the one reason these parents kept using - her accent- its chetty
    Principals are and have been reassigned. There were several who were reassigned for the 2018-2019 school year.

I know exactly what happened I was there, I was approached, iiwii
    Then you must work for HCISD and were involved.

Hall of Famer

Well it sounds like you were able to get kind of first hand knowledge about the situation or what the man told you was his own reasoning. Regardless this is serious but I would hesitate to do anything about it. 1. The principal sounds like she doesn't want to press the matter and if "fine" where she is at. Maybe in the future she'll be able to excel and call the out then. 2. You can bring it up to the proper authorities but again be prepared to call upon the principal who might be reluctant to talk. 3. Finally, I would encourage you think about this and make sure this is a battle you think you could undertake.

PS. Race relations between White and Brown people has a long history both good and bad(especially) here in Texas. I would point to the "Brownsville Riot" as reference.

If a few parents said it's so, then it must be true.

Hall of Famer

Sorry so late to this subject but I feel I have to say something. I didn't know there was a petition to get rid of that principal. I can honestly say that I was happy that she was moved as she was not a good fit at Stuart Place. I saw that school's moral go way down the year she was there. She removed a bunch of the activities that made the kids happy to go to school like the "family member/student" breakfast or lunch (or tea party if you want to call it that). I was not happy as Stuart was one of only a couple of schools to not have these activities and the other schools were all low performers unlike Stuart Place. I'm sorry but I don't think it was because her accent. In speaking to some of the staff, all said that she changed so many things that it affected the parent/teacher relationship as well as the student/teacher relationship to the point that it was affecting performance. I can also say that Stuart Place isn't like it was just two/three years ago. Just my thoughts.
    Originally Posted by newbler
    Do i flame? You betcha

Thread Information