Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    MVP

One game does not determine a season. The body of work at the lower levels will give some insight as to what potential a team has once the majority of the players are on Varsity. If that wasn't the case why would Varsity coaches bother showing up to sub varsity games? Or better yet why bother fielding sub varsity teams?

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Tex Tiger View Post
    One game does not determine a season. The body of work at the lower levels will give some insight as to what potential a team has once the majority of the players are on Varsity. If that wasn't the case why would Varsity coaches bother showing up to sub varsity games? Or better yet why bother fielding sub varsity teams?
    Ummm I guess you are right, we did end up 9-3 after that beat down, but those sub varsity teams did win their games as well... I always assumed coaches fielded those teams and attended those games to evaluate talent for upcoming seasons.

Immortal

You really can't tell how a team will be the next year by the JV record. Most of the best Soph are n the Varsity.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Hall of Famer

My Social Networking

Add Cochino's Revenge on Facebook
    Visit Cochino's Revenge's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    You really can't tell how a team will be the next year by the JV record. Most of the best Soph are n the Varsity.
    Yep. Our 2 fastest kids were only sophomores and both on varsity (the Moore twins) and our biggest player on defense was also a sophomore varsity starter.

Platinum

I agree with this as well... Sharyland had two of their best Sophs on Varsity as well, QB and WR/DB

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    I agree with this as well... Sharyland had two of their best Sophs on Varsity as well, QB and WR/DB
    I concur with Trouble, Cochino, and Imka.

Immortal

For all those peeps that disagree with the preseason polls, it's just a matter of respect of what pollsters see of who's coming back and the way they see it playing out. If your ranked high it's because from there poin of view and the returning talent they pick based on what they see what the outcome will be. Of course the end result will be what matters most but these teams are ranked based out of respect and they think the conclusion might be. Teams should be proud but not overconfident of these rankings.

Hall of Famer

My Social Networking

Add Cochino's Revenge on Facebook
    Visit Cochino's Revenge's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    For all those peeps that disagree with the preseason polls, it's just a matter of respect of what pollsters see of who's coming back and the way they see it playing out. If your ranked high it's because from there poin of view and the returning talent they pick based on what they see what the outcome will be. Of course the end result will be what matters most but these teams are ranked based out of respect and they think the conclusion might be. Teams should be proud but not overconfident of these rankings.
    Last edited by Cochino's Revenge; 07-14-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Obvious to some, but not to all.

MVP

From my perspective I like to see how the sub varsity teams do playing without the star players. For example at Mercedes the best freshmen get promoted to JV and then Varsity as sophomores. Usually 4-6 get selected. What I want to see is how the team can do without them. If they continue to have success then I know they'll be a team to be reckoned with once they're all on Varsity. Of course there are a lot of variables such as transfer, injuries, grades, etc.

MVP

As an example this past season a buddy made a bet that EE would beat Mercedes. I mentioned the history of the senior classes for both teams. Not only had EE not beaten Mercedes at the sub varsity level but had not even scored on the Tigers. And yes the star players had been on Varsity since sophomore year. So based on that history there was no doubt in my mind that Tigers would beat EE. So to me sub varsity success/failure is a good measuring stick of what is to come. In this case Tigers got the win and I got a steak.

Immortal

As an example this past season a buddy made a bet that EE would beat Mercedes. I mentioned the history of the senior classes for both teams. Not only had EE not beaten Mercedes at the sub varsity level but had not even scored on the Tigers. And yes the star players had been on Varsity since sophomore year. So based on that history there was no doubt in my mind that Tigers would beat EE. So to me sub varsity success/failure is a good measuring stick of what is to come. In this case Tigers got the win and I got a steak.
    During all those year that E-E won district and went to the 3rd round. E-E JV had a losing record on their JV teams. In fact in the last 20 years they only have manage 3 winning record and 1 DC at the JV level. Now your Mercedes Soph class had not beaten E-E last years Soph class until last year. Why? De Lo Santos and his best Soph teammates were on the Varsity. So no I don't really put to much stock into how good the Varsity will be by how the JV does.
    Last edited by lmka; 07-15-2018 at 04:26 AM.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Cochino's Revenge View Post
    more like Private False. LOL

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    more like Private False. LOL
    I guess you could say it's common sense, but sometimes sense isn't common as we've seen from your posts. That post about explaining predictions was for folks who have in the past talked down preseason polls and predictions. This year those types of posts haven't been prevelant but they have in the past....and I'm sure will pop up once the preseason top ten shows up and folks don't like who's ranked up top or where there team is ranked.
    Last edited by Truth; 07-15-2018 at 10:34 AM.

I guess you could say it's common sense, but sometimes sense isn't common as we've seen from your posts. That post about explaining predictions was for folks who have in the past talked down preseason polls and predictions. This year those types of posts haven't been prevelant but they have in the past....and I'm sure will pop up once the preseason top ten shows up and folks don't like who's ranked up top or where their team is ranked.
    Ain't that the Truth (pun intended) Mer-Tex Tiger?
    Last edited by Valley Night Lights; 07-15-2018 at 12:36 PM.

I guess you could say it's common sense, but sometimes sense isn't common as we've seen from your posts. That post about explaining predictions was for folks who have in the past talked down preseason polls and predictions. This year those types of posts haven't been prevelant but they have in the past....and I'm sure will pop up once the preseason top ten shows up and folks don't like who's ranked up top or where there team is ranked.
    Donít waste your time with that moronic simpleton.

MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Night Lights View Post
    Ain't that the Truth (pun intended) Mer-Tex Tiger?
    Nah. Local top ten polls are subjective because they include all classifications so ranked teams will not be playing each other unless they're in the same district. If anything it's an incentive to work harder if you're not ranked or ranked below a district opponent.

Heisman Winner

yup, pretty much

Thread Information