Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 165
  1. #81
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Weslaco
    Posts
    10,543

    Default


  2. #82
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
    Do you really think anything will happen? I will all work out. Itís the Rgv.
    Sharyland didn't sign off on a kid who transferred to Mission Vets after his freshman year. It made it to the UIL and the UIL agreed with Sharyland and the kid had to sit out from playing varsity sports for a year.

  3. #83
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcats View Post
    Whatís going to happen to Frank Zuniga he transferred from Edinburg north to play qb at Vela. They are already looking into the the transfer of Rosales. Iím hearing that thereís a baseball parent recruiting heavily. Itís about to get interesting in the coming weeks.
    Edinburg has been recruiting kids for a long time, even before Vela was a thought. I know from personal experience and we didn't bite.

  4. #84
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kellym View Post
    Sharyland didn't sign off on a kid who transferred to Mission Vets after his freshman year. It made it to the UIL and the UIL agreed with Sharyland and the kid had to sit out from playing varsity sports for a year.
    I menber!!!

  5. #85
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    So did the new coach sign off? Rosales is a hell of a kid on and off the field. Not signing off will be really bad! But Vela has made a name for themselves.

  6. #86
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    HARLINGEN
    Posts
    4,426

    Default

    Does it make a difference if they were recruited or not? A transfer for athletic purposes is just that. Don't matter if the player was recruited. I've spoken personally to parents of some of these transfers to the Vela program. They didn't hide anything. They came right out and said they transferred their kid to play at Vela. Most notable was that QB who transferred from McMem a few years back. The dad's words were something like, "I'm not gonna have my son hand the ball off 30-40 times to that RB and not be able to throw it."

    The fact is this happens on the west side of the Valley due to the proximity of HS to each other. It can take you 5 minutes to het to one HS or 12 minutes to get to another. Not much effort is required.
    Last edited by Lar Card; 06-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    Originally Posted by newbler
    Do i flame? You betcha

  7. #87
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lar Card View Post
    Does it make a difference if they were recruited or not? A transfer for athletic purposes is just that. Don't matter if the player was recruited. I've spoken personally to parents of some of these transfers to the Vela program. They didn't hide anything. They came right out and said they transferred their kid to play at Vela. Most notable was that QB who transferred from McMem a few years back. The dad's words were something like, "I'm not gonna have my son hand the ball off 30-40 times to that RB and not be able to throw it."

    The fact is this happens on the west side of the Valley due to the proximity of HS to each other. It can take you 5 minutes to het to one HS or 12 minutes to get to another. Not much effort is required.
    Interesting. So why have UIL rules if it’s that easy! Lol. Let the boys play, as Denzel Washington will say!

  8. #88
    Heisman Winner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    936

    Default

    That QB was originaly from Vela then transferred to Memorial for his junior year and back to Vela for his senior year. Littleton signed off perhaps because he was a Vela product to begin with. Why he would transfer to Memorial knowing Trevor was there makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lar Card View Post
    Does it make a difference if they were recruited or not? A transfer for athletic purposes is just that. Don't matter if the player was recruited. I've spoken personally to parents of some of these transfers to the Vela program. They didn't hide anything. They came right out and said they transferred their kid to play at Vela. Most notable was that QB who transferred from McMem a few years back. The dad's words were something like, "I'm not gonna have my son hand the ball off 30-40 times to that RB and not be able to throw it."

    The fact is this happens on the west side of the Valley due to the proximity of HS to each other. It can take you 5 minutes to het to one HS or 12 minutes to get to another. Not much effort is required.

  9. #89
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    two steps ahead of you
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lar Card View Post
    Does it make a difference if they were recruited or not? A transfer for athletic purposes is just that. Don't matter if the player was recruited. I've spoken personally to parents of some of these transfers to the Vela program. They didn't hide anything. They came right out and said they transferred their kid to play at Vela. Most notable was that QB who transferred from McMem a few years back. The dad's words were something like, "I'm not gonna have my son hand the ball off 30-40 times to that RB and not be able to throw it."

    The fact is this happens on the west side of the Valley due to the proximity of HS to each other. It can take you 5 minutes to het to one HS or 12 minutes to get to another. Not much effort is required.
    In the case of that particular QB, the father was right to pull that kid... Truth be told, that QB was physically talented enought to possibly earn a partal scholarship and I would have done the same... Programs like McAllen Memorial are dead ends for pro style QBs and WRs... These moves are made all over the state and the RGV is and should be no different

  10. #90

    Default Vela

    Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    That QB was originaly from Vela then transferred to Memorial for his junior year and back to Vela for his senior year. Littleton signed off perhaps because he was a Vela product to begin with. Why he would transfer to Memorial knowing Trevor was there makes no sense.
    The kid lost his starting position thatís why he came back to Vela and Lopez played QB at vela had graduated already. (Lopez lived across the street to EHS)
    Last edited by Bobcats; 06-07-2018 at 11:33 PM.

  11. #91
    Heisman Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Edinburg, Tx
    Posts
    584

    Default

    ^^^ Lopez was zoned to EHS but did not live close to the school

  12. #92
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcats View Post
    The kid lost his starting position that’s why he came back to Vela and Lopez played QB at vela had graduated already. (Lopez lived across the street to EHS)
    Sounds like its been a free-for-all in Edinburg for a while......just look at the past election in Edinburg and all the voter fraud arrests....it's not surprising the politics there trickle down to the best interest of few....funny how through all this the teams are still just considered a "Valley" team at best....

    I just hope Jacob gets to play somewhere.

  13. #93
    Retired Football Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kellym View Post
    Sounds like its been a free-for-all in Edinburg for a while......just look at the past election in Edinburg and all the voter fraud arrests....it's not surprising the politics there trickle down to the best interest of few....funny how through all this the teams are still just considered a "Valley" team at best....

    I just hope Jacob gets to play somewhere.
    He'll need to go to HS out of state and play one game. Then transfer to a 4A or 3A school and wait 15 days. I wouldn't put it past Vela attempt to provide some sort of "compensation" to Pioneer. Just my theory.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!


  14. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    He'll need to go to HS out of state and play one game. Then transfer to a 4A or 3A school and wait 15 days. I wouldn't put it past Vela attempt to provide some sort of "compensation" to Pioneer. Just my theory.
    For your QB we’ll give you a kicker and an OL. You know a trade system sounds fun.

  15. #95

    Default Shady

    Quote Originally Posted by Kellym View Post
    Sounds like its been a free-for-all in Edinburg for a while......just look at the past election in Edinburg and all the voter fraud arrests....it's not surprising the politics there trickle down to the best interest of few....funny how through all this the teams are still just considered a "Valley" team at best....

    I just hope Jacob gets to play somewhere.
    Well Edinburg is like Mexico lol where your filthy rich or dirt poor. You have Econdemendes Jaguars canít compete in any sports then you have Vela with an All star teams in every sport. Sad but nothing is surprising in Edinburg.

  16. #96
    Retired Football Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christofire View Post
    For your QB we’ll give you a kicker and an OL. You know a trade system sounds fun.
    Lol.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!


  17. #97
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Very interesting topic and following. Does anyone know how much time the new head coach lee has to sign off? Is Rosales participating in 7 on 7 for Vela?

  18. #98

    Default

    Does UIL actually have any real teeth in enforcing recruitment violations? Don't believe that incidents about alleged recruitment incidents are limited to the valley. Just wonder how the state power houses stay on top year after year with players limited to residence in their districts.

  19. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
    Very interesting topic and following. Does anyone know how much time the new head coach lee has to sign off? Is Rosales participating in 7 on 7 for Vela?
    A UIL Previous Athletic Participation Form (PAPF) needs to be completed by the student, his parent(s), and the superintendent or designated administrator of the new school and sent for completion to the former school district where the superintendent and principal of the school or the coach all need to sign off in concurrence. Technically, the Coach Lee doesn't need to sign off if the principal wishes to intercede and be the second signing official.

    But to answer your question, once received it customarily takes one to two weeks for the school district from which the student transfered from to complete the PAPF. But, it could take a little longer if it is received by the district during the summer when one or more of the required signatories may be out. They of course can't do anything until they receive the PAPF from the school district to which the student transfered. I would speculate Coach Lee will do due diligence and consult with his principal, athletic director, superintendent's office and last but not least, the UIL regarding his district's responses to the six questions asked on the PAPF.

    Here's what's involved on the PAPF:

    http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athlet..._Quest2014.pdf
    Last edited by Valley Night Lights; 06-08-2018 at 07:36 PM.

  20. #100
    Retired Football Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
    Very interesting topic and following. Does anyone know how much time the new head coach lee has to sign off? Is Rosales participating in 7 on 7 for Vela?
    See Section 443 (e) (2)

    http://www.uiltexas.org/files/consti...bchapter-m.pdf

    It appears that there is no time limit for a superintendent (or designated administrator) ; Prinicipal or Coach of departed school to sign off on the PAPF form. The rule seems to allude to anyone of the three can sign off on said form. But, that's left up to interpretation.

    IMO, the student-athlete in question, did not transfer WITHIN 16-5A DII and moved up in classification to 6A.

    A case to consider:
    2017-A former Mercedes student-athlete transferred from 5A Mercedes to 2A La Villa a month or so after his senior season began. He just had to sit out the required 15 days and was eligible to play when La Villa's district play started.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!


 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •