Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top coaches

Platinum

Crafty, I think Harlingen would be successful with or without Gomez... They've got the kind of tradition that attracts football players and a winning mentality... That being said, I think better Offensive coaching would do them a lot of good..

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by craftysouthpaw View Post
    What do you mean ... 2 years ago undefeated in a district everybody thought was best in valley ... beat SB that yr, that was the favorite that yr...
    That was two years ago, 5 years ago no one thought Harlingen could be beat, what happened?

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    How has he done over the last 5 years though, don't tell us about what he's done a decade ago tell is what he's done lately... Don't get me wrong, beating Reagan was nice but missing the playoffs doesn't help his cause... You want to be the best team come WK10 not WK1...

Last 5 Years overall record and playoff wins for all the coaches mentioned on this thread:

Weslaco East (Burget) 49-19 (6 playoff wins)
    Sharyland (Adame) 46-15 (5 playoff wins)
    McAllen Memorial (Littleton) 43-14 (2 playoff wins)
    Mission Vets (Gilpin) 41-19 (5 playoff wins)
    Harlingen (Gomez) 40-18 (4 playoff wins)
    San Benito (Gomez) 38-11 (5 playoff wins) *Only 4 years at SB
    Brownsville Vets (Cantu) 36-18 (1 playoff win)
    Los Fresnos (Brown) 17-9 (4 playoff wins) *Only 2 years at LF

Heisman Winner

Weslaco (Salinas) 39-16 (3 playoff wins) ????? 1yr at Weslaco

Hall of Famer

Crafty, I think Harlingen would be successful with or without Gomez... They've got the kind of tradition that attracts football players and a winning mentality... That being said, I think better Offensive coaching would do them a lot of good..
    Maybe but the guys resume speaks for itself and he’s young in coaching game and 4 DCs in last 5 yrs, beat SB like I said in an earlier post, 2 years ago at time was undefeated and yr before that beat memorial with Trevor speights which was undefeated at time as well ...
    "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to DIE". - Inigo Montoya

Heisman Winner

Coach Gomez belongs in top 5 for sure..... heck even top three. We don’t know for sure that the Cards win as much with the solid playoff runs without Gomez. Yes we would still have plenty of wins but would we have the three undefeated seasons, 5 straight third round appearances which was a record for valley football, not sure if a program has since matched it, a fourth round appearance, not to mention strong showings in third round defeats. I have seen plenty of third round blowouts. 2017 was his first season, in what 10 yrs that his team didn’t claim a part of the DC. If that doesn’t make him at least a top 5 coach, wow. Everyone has their own opinion. The one knock on him and EVERY coach has a downside, has been his hiring practices.

Heisman Winner

I would definitely not put Littleton on the list. In a “top coach debate,” playoff success matters. With all the talent they have had, they should be number one regular season wins and playoff victories.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by BadFrank View Post
    I would definitely not put Littleton on the list. In a “top coach debate,” playoff success matters. With all the talent they have had, they should be number one regular season wins and playoff victories.
    THIS!!! Congratulations, you have won the 956 Sports POST OF THE YEAR!!!!! Bradly Stephens, Trevor and Campbell Speights, DJ Johnson, Jonathon Sanchez, Matthew Kaufman, I'm sure I'm missing a few big time, big name players and yet, next to NO PLAYOFF SUCCESS!!!! Kaufman had some, but once he was gone so were their playoff wins...

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by LupitoLPNL View Post
    Weslaco (Salinas) 39-16 (3 playoff wins) ????? 1yr at Weslaco
    Salinas? Lol,c'mon know

Heisman Winner

THIS!!! Congratulations, you have won the 956 Sports POST OF THE YEAR!!!!! Bradly Stephens, Trevor and Campbell Speights, DJ Johnson, Jonathon Sanchez, Matthew Kaufman, I'm sure I'm missing a few big time, big name players and yet, next to NO PLAYOFF SUCCESS!!!! Kaufman had some, but once he was gone so were their playoff wins...
    Patrick Granchelli, Sharp, Kelechi, . Not all fault will lay on HC. I have followed Stangs for some years and have noticed teams like Harlingen and SB are hungrier than Memorial.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    Patrick Granchelli, Sharp, Kelechi, . Not all fault will lay on HC. I have followed Stangs for some years and have noticed teams like Harlingen and SB are hungrier than Memorial.
    Attitude reflects leadership...

Immortal

Attitude reflects leadership...
    Agree 100%, valley folks have clamored for better coaches and bill Littleton had the big game expirience having coachING duties at cuero. I was a Littleton supporter for some time but there's no reason that a coach with probably some of the best talent to come out of the valley hasn't had as many playoff wins as other valley squads.

I agree. The problem with Gomez is he hires inexperienced coaches for assistants which has basically been his own decline. Get a good OC and Harlingen will roll.
    Harlingen Cardinals Most Wins Of Any Team In Valley History.

Just another post from an ARROGANT CARDINAL FAN.

Retired Football Guru

Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    "Earn Everything"
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Thread Information