Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTRGV Football

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

Default UTRGV Football

http://riograndeguardian.com/anderso...o-be-released/

Would y’all attend games if this goes thru?

At the snail's pace their going at, some of us might not be around if and when it goes through.

UTSA commissioned their feasibility study in Feb. 2006 and it was completed by Nov. 2006 (about 10 months). UT Regents approved adding football at UTSA in Dec 2008. It's taken UTRGV 2 years and 3 months just to put out a feasibility study and they didn't do it from scratch. They used UTSA's study as a go-by. They should have wrapped it up in 4 or 5 months since they had a head start. It's not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination and that's why the consulting firm only charged $100K, including expenses.

I think people will go initially and will continue going if the team is a winner. But if they run the program in the same Keystone Cops manner that they used to execute the feasibility study, I anticipate that support will fade rather quickly. Just my two cents.

Hall of Famer

My Social Networking

Follow BFC On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post
    http://riograndeguardian.com/anderso...o-be-released/

Would y’all attend games if this goes thru?
    NO! While in name this university represents RGV the reality is that it is catering to Hidalgo County. This would be no exception. In addition anything with Alonzo Cantu name also reaffirms this. Just like England taxing the colonies and no representation. You will find very few pleased Brownsville students with anything UTRGV.
    Last edited by BFC; 04-23-2018 at 01:06 PM.

I might go to a game depending who they are playing.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BFC View Post
    NO! While in name this university represents RGV the reality is that it is catering to Hidalgo County. This would be no exception. In addition anything with Alonzo Cantu name also reaffirms this. Just like England taxing the colonies and no representation. You will find very few pleased Brownsville students with anything UTRGV.

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    I might go to a game depending who they are playing.
    OK. What if they comp the ticket and the beer is ice cold for a dollar a pop, and; they have Mack Brown calling the plays on the sidelines?

Hall of Famer

I'd go.
    This has been another low volume, high quality post by "fan man".

Hall of Famer

Its all gonna depend on what type of team is put together and the quality of the games. IMO, UTRGV should have little to no issues ripping away some recruits from UTEP, UTSA, UofH, etc. based solely on the proximity to the beach. I know I would go and take my boys with me.
    Originally Posted by newbler
    Do i flame? You betcha

Hall of Famer

My Social Networking

Follow BFC On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lar Card View Post
    Its all gonna depend on what type of team is put together and the quality of the games. IMO, UTRGV should have little to no issues ripping away some recruits from UTEP, UTSA, UofH, etc. based solely on the proximity to the beach. I know I would go and take my boys with me.
    U of H is about 30 to 32 miles away from the beach. UTRGV Edinburg where the athletic department is...is 78 miles away from SPI. So yes to UTRGV being closer to the beach than UTSA and UTEP but not Uof H.

Hall of Famer

Lets see: The UTSA fb budget is 25 million
    Football Revenues 13 Million (this is revenues in SA not RGV)
    UTSA support (Taxes, Student fees, etc) 12 Million
    No Thanks
    PS remember they have the Alamodome already.
    Guess where UTRGV will play (along with a nice big lease)? Hint; new soccer stadium anyone, and we know who owns that.

Hall of Famer

One more thing why not take the 12 million UTRGV would have to subsidize the football team instead use it for baseball, soccer & softball where they could field some power house teams. Or how bout scholarships and get our kids educated?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nightrain34 View Post
    Guess where UTRGV will play (along with a nice big lease)? Hint; new soccer stadium anyone, and we know who owns that.
    Sad, but true. The concept of college football at UTRGV in its simple form is generally a good idea in the context of long-term development of the university. The RGV has grown substantially over the past two decades and continued rapid growth is expected. UTRGV should have a continued growth plan to keep pace and establish itself as a first-rate institution.

However, behind the scenes opportunists sour every good idea because they endeavor to craft and steer public benefit projects in a direction to enhance their own personal financial advantage to the detriment of the very core concept itself. It would be an absolute conflict of interest for any member of the UTRGV football feasibility committee, his/her family member, arm's- length associate, or associated third party to engage in any for profit business activity associated with any eventual UTRGV football program or the university generally. The football program vision here is worthy...the execution is not.

Follow the money... identify the fixer.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Night Lights View Post
    Sad, but true. The concept of college football at UTRGV in its simple form is generally a good idea in the context of long-term development of the university. The RGV has grown substantially over the past two decades and continued rapid growth is expected. UTRGV should have a continued growth plan to keep pace and establish itself as a first-rate institution.

However, behind the scenes opportunists sour every good idea because they endeavor to craft and steer public benefit projects in a direction to enhance their own personal financial advantage to the detriment of the very core concept itself. It would be an absolute conflict of interest for any member of the UTRGV football feasibility committee, his/her family member, arm's- length associate, or associated third party to engage in any for profit business activity associated with any eventual UTRGV football program or the university generally. The football program vision here is worthy...the execution is not.

Follow the money... identify the fixer.
    That's deep, but well said. Dilly, Dilly!

One more thing why not take the 12 million UTRGV would have to subsidize the football team instead use it for baseball, soccer & softball where they could field some power house teams. Or how bout scholarships and get our kids educated?
    The thing is, it’s hard to get money that’s not for football.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by christofire View Post
    The thing is, it’s hard to get money that’s not for football.
    yep

I think its possible that UTRGV getting a football team would exceed the attendance of soccer, softball, and baseball combined. Then again maybe not. It would have to be done right and most likely they would get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Night Lights View Post
    OK. What if they comp the ticket and the beer is ice cold for a dollar a pop, and; they have Mack Brown calling the plays on the sidelines?

That would be something worth thinking about.

Heisman Winner

That soccer stadium holds 10k and McAllen Memorial holds around 15k along with PSJA stadium. A D1 program needs at least 30k plus. This idea is non realistic. I may attend a game from time to time. The only way to bring in attendance is to fill the roster with local players but that won't happen. Attendance is very poor in baseball and basketball. Spend the $$$ elsewhere.
    Lets see: The UTSA fb budget is 25 million
    Football Revenues 13 Million (this is revenues in SA not RGV)
    UTSA support (Taxes, Student fees, etc) 12 Million
    No Thanks
    PS remember they have the Alamodome already.

Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    That soccer stadium holds 10k and McAllen Memorial holds around 15k along with PSJA stadium. A D1 program needs at least 30k plus. This idea is non realistic. I may attend a game from time to time. The only way to bring in attendance is to fill the roster with local players but that won't happen. Attendance is very poor in baseball and basketball. Spend the $$$ elsewhere.
    Verbatim from the NCAA website (open source):

"Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams have to meet minimum attendance requirements (average 15,000 people in actual or paid attendance per home game), which must be met once in a rolling two-year period. NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) teams do not need to meet minimum attendance requirements." UTRGV would be a FCS team.

The NCAA used to require Division I-A schools to have a stadium with a minimum capacity of 30,000, but that rule was scrapped in 2004.

No disrespect Redwave, but your post failed the fact check regarding the viability of the soccer stadium to be an option as a UTRGV football venue.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's listed as the number one ranked venue option in the feasibility study by the authors. I would venture to speculate that if the soccer stadium lease plan fails for various and sundry political reasons, Cantu's Plan B is to be the contractor for the new Vaqueros Stadium. Plan C may be to redesign and add to the current soccer stadium seating for a more traditional college football venue...at the expense of the university tenant of course. Follow the money...identify the fixer.

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    I think its possible that UTRGV getting a football team would exceed the attendance of soccer, softball, and baseball combined. Then again maybe not. It would have to be done right and most likely they would get it wrong.

Thread Information