Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Varsity

Question Lady Wolverines Awaiting Friday's Showdown . . .

What will the coach do?

Who will play what?

Freshman vs Upperclassmen?

WOW! The honest truth is that not one freshmen has the ability to make the Wolverine team better. IF any, maybe pitchers as backups. Word is the other freshmen lack skills that are needed to play varsity. The freshmen parents need to quit whining or trying to use their connections to get their daughters playing time. Bottom line the parents that are whining don't have a leg to stand on...

It does not matter the classification, the coach needs to play the best nine. when are they playing in Brownsville so I can go see them.
    Last edited by clean-up hitter; 02-10-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Junior Varsity

Well it obvious the the Wolverines are dealing with a large number of girls with talent. The unfortunate thing is that these girls are not playing in set positions while the other district teams have finalized the top 9! The Wolverines are obviously still in try out mode instead of getting the starters to build chemistry.Parents will always complain about playing time coach must just put his foot down! The Wolverines have two returning pitchers and several position players that are amoungest the best in The Valley to include some heavy hitters! So the question is when will the Wolverines set the line up straight? Hopefully soon or they are in for a loooong season!!!

Are they playing Brownsville Vets this seasons?

From the little I've gotten to see I have to disagree. Talent is the small lefty hitter who also has speed, nice glove with a big arm and the girl who started on Monday at 3rd base. They are potential D1 type talent. The team has 6-7 girls that are good players but not in the talent category yet. As for pitchers, whoever started on Friday from what i heard did a great job holding Rio Hondo to one run. One RH lefty batter hit a homer off of the last pitcher. While other teams may have their 9 best ready, this coach is trying to figure out how to keep freshmen parents happy when in reality is they should be playing down. They need to learn how to work while they wait to make it to varsity. On another note, the female oh on first base must be a volunteer because she brings nothing to the table...

Junior Varsity

Default You are correct....from the little you have seen

[QUOTE=VOLLEYBALLMOM;878897]From the little I've gotten to see I have to disagree. Talent is the small lefty hitter who also has speed, nice glove with a big arm and the girl who started on Monday at 3rd base. They are potential D1 type talent. The team ha

I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!!
    1. D1 players commit in 7th & 8th grade. TEAM has Good talent but None have committed yet to D1.
    2. 2 innings of playing time for a 3rdbase showing or any girl doesn't spell D1.
    3. Now lets talk about pitchers: 1st one was a Freshman w stud catcher. Next one was a Junior and last one was a sophomore. Just look at who was also catching. Catcher was an inexperienced Freshman who is also learning the calls. Good but learning. Big hits will happen with big girls, but more so when you do not have the your stud catcher- who knows the pitching calls well.
    4. A coach who is quiet does not mean she does not contribute.
    Who are we to judge???
    5. I do agree with 1 thing.....______??????? is not there to keep parents happy.

Continue to attend and check out more of the action! Hopefully real action where the girls can play and get adjusted to their position.

Junior Varsity

It is important that the TEAM goes forward with their positions and training in order to make the best of each girl's talent. Because there is a lot of talent that just needs to be put in the right place. Talent will easily be seen as girls get comfortable with their set positions and players.
    ----girls will supersede all

#teampower

Junior Varsity

Default WOLVERINES WILL SUPERSEDE ALL...

It is important that the TEAM goes forward with their positions and training in order to make the best of each girl's talent. Because there is a lot of talent that just needs to be put in the right place. Talent will easily be seen as girls get comfortable with their set positions and players.
    ----girls will supersede all

#teampower

Junior Varsity

NONSENSE! I'm more than sure that 7th & 8th graders are not committing to D1 schools in softball. If any, they are in a whole different category than what we have in the RGV. I have to agree with the comment above about the 3rd base girl and lefty hitter as D1 potentials. From what I have season in the past to include Select Ball, the glove and arm strength from both these girls are at a different level. I was not aware that the Wolverines had a stud catcher this year, was she a transfer? I don't think anyone is judging by a simple comment but from going back and reading previous comments , it seems like the 1st base coach doesn't contribute and/or coach.

Junior Varsity

I'm confused! I haven't really seen any 3rd baseman play more than 2 innings nor shine for that matter. I can say the same for all positions too.
    D1 is at another level for sure....... Of course, lots of 7th-9th graders commit to that level of collegiate play. Look it up. D1 big schools are done picking up girls by 9th. Now there may a chance at smaller schools.
    I'm wondering who this coach must be a threat to??

Junior Varsity

hahahaha, no one said anything about the female coach being a threat to anyone, that's how rumors get started. Clearly you don't know the recruiting process, as a former D-1 recruit i believe I'm just a tiny bit more sure about this topic. However after speaking to a coach in the RGV, its a mutual opinion across the coaches that the PSJA Memorial softball team is average at best this year, pitching will be a problem, and the freshman group is not strong and will provide no impact. and yes two girls might have what it takes to play D-1end of story....

Junior Varsity

Hilarious!
    I know plenty.....what you think clearly doesn't matter to me.
    D1.....not any 3rd baseman.
    End of story.......

Hall of Famer

1. It's about the core, juniors and sophomores! Forget the fish and their parents they will get their chance. They are support/fillers. Only 1 of the fish plays is on a top select team the rest are where they should be playing.
    2. They have a solid #1 and #2 pitchers, solid 1b, 3b, 2b, C and out field, only question is ss.
    3. Coach it's about the core why are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole?
    Just worrybout the core, it needs to gel. All this messing around with moving fish in and out worrying bout their parents is horse crappie, grow a spine!
    4. Forget d1 or d2, the girls can compete now it's up to the coach to coach them up and compete for the District title.

how did they do in the last tourney? The biggest question ? is the second most important position in the diamond.

Junior Varsity

Forget about a district title coaches are still trying to figure it out while most other teams already in mid season form. Only two freshman are worthy of playing Varsity, only two can help and that's the two pitchers PERIOD. The other freshman need to get there reps in on JV, fielding is poor, hitting is poor, softball IQ is low.. So if you play on a so called best select team and think that entitles you an automatic spot you are very wrong, I suggest getting a refund from this select team because all these freshman lack basic skills needed for Varsity ball. Parents need to stay behind the fence and cheer, if you are a parent of one of the freshman girls you should be proud of them, motivate them to keep working, let their hard work earn them a spot, not your parent calling or emailing the coach crying about this or that. Unbelievable that this happens, unbelievable the coach took the calls. Solid #1 pitcher is the freshman at this point best control and throws strikes. i hear from a friend in Rio Hondo that the home run ball hit against the wolverines the other night STILL HAS NOT COME DOWN....

Junior Varsity

NAME ME 10 GIRLS THAT YOU SO CALL KNOW THAT SIGNED THAT EARLY. THE BEST WOMEN'S SOFTBALL PLAYER EVER DID NOT SIGN EARLY. I SURE HOPE (IF) YOU ARE A COACH, THAT YOUR NOT TEACHING/LYING TO YOUNG KIDS ABOUT THIS RIDICULOUS NOTION THAT GIRLS SIGN AS EARLY 7-9.
    END OF STORY.........

Junior Varsity

Default SOFTBALL

NAME ME 10 GIRLS THAT YOU SO CALL KNOW THAT SIGNED THAT EARLY. THE BEST WOMEN'S SOFTBALL PLAYER EVER DID NOT SIGN EARLY. I SURE HOPE (IF) YOU ARE A COACH, THAT YOUR NOT TEACHING/LYING TO YOUNG KIDS ABOUT THIS RIDICULOUS NOTION THAT GIRLS SIGN AS EARLY 7-9.
    END OF STORY.........

Junior Varsity

As per RGV select teams, the word is that the Rio Hondo bat is fixed. When ALL the girls use the same bat.......hmmmm! NO BRAINER! It almost killed one of our players. No wonder the ball is still flying.
    I hope you get a high on putting HS girls down. They are all just trying to play their hearts out. You would be the Dream Coach we all desire to have coach all kids.

Junior Varsity

As per RGV select teams, the word is that the Rio Hondo bat is fixed. When ALL the girls use the same bat.......hmmmm! NO BRAINER! It almost killed one of our players. No wonder the ball is still flying.
    I hope you get a high on putting HS girls down. They are all just trying to play their hearts out. You would be the Dream Coach we all desire to have coach all kids.

Thread Information