Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Immortal

It's funny how some folks want to play bsf teams but would be offended if the bsf ran up the score with thier starters? If the concept of facing a bsf team makes you better, then wouldn't logic say u would want to face there best players for 4 qtrs of the game to get the max out of that opportunity no matter how bad the beating?
    Last edited by Truth; 01-05-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    It's funny how some folks want to play bsf teams but would be offended if the bsf ran up the score with thier starters? If the concept of facing a bsf team makes you better, then wouldn't logic say u would want to face there best players for 4 qtrs of the game to get the max out of that opportunity no matter how bad the beating?
    Many schools are in a tight budget and Ofcourse no one like to do much traveling and I'm not only referring players, band etc but parents,fans. I mean if I knew my team had a good chance of giving the other team a competitive game ( Non-district) the expenses/ time would be all worth it .When it's a playoff game it's different cause it's a do or die situation. But also why would a weak football program would be looking to schedule outside the valley when they can spare the embarrassment, time ,money and just get someone local ? Just my 2cents but I guess everyone has different point of views.

Another words the teams who are consistent year after with winning tradition, making the playoffs ,winning DC should be scheduling at least one oppenant outside the RGV even though the scores is thrown down their throats .But teams who are trying just to build a successful football program should first focus in beating 1st the teams inside their local areas.

Immortal

Everyone here knows I'm not a proponent of playing bsf teams and then stating it better prepares teams for the playoffs. I've seen teams do it and it doesnt. In fact I've been one of the most vocal on here about it. Good football programs make good football runs in the playoffs consistently, special football teams make special runs in the playoffs. I've given wide examples of how facing bsf doesn't improve chances of making those runs and how valley squads who schedule valley opponents do just as good and more times better.
    Simply stating how there's probably some folks on here who are bsf proponents who are probably can't take a butt whooping on the field or think it might scar

Immortal

Funny thing is that when ever someone runs up the score the next year or two there is always a payback.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    Funny thing is that when ever someone runs up the score the next year or two there is always a payback.
    As there should be.....

And that's just what happened to Nikki Rowe when they put up those big #'s to Porter. But then again we have those weak weak defenses where it's hard not to score. By the time it's 2nd Qtr the score is already over the 40's

Vela has pretty much run up the score in every oppenant in it's district. McMemorial has also and it could of been way worse but the Stangs do take off the foot of the gas peddle. Like some people says it's the defense job to stop the oppenant not the oppenant stopping it's self.

Retired Football Guru

Gotta take a chance anyway. It's fine to not want to take a beating. No one wants that, but also we can't sit around asking why our valley teams can't compete.

Take the beatings, improve on what went wrong, and figure out a way to win OR make them earn that dubya the next go 'round.

Yes. It sounds crazy. Me vale!
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    Gotta take a chance anyway. It's fine to not want to take a beating. No one wants that, but also we can't sit around asking why our valley teams can't compete.

Take the beatings, improve on what went wrong, and figure out a way to win OR make them earn that dubya the next go 'round.

I'm not against taking a beating. Beatings will come 3rd or fourth round. I just think it's funny that year in and out you hear how "this game will prepare us for the playoffs" comments that seem to come with these games.

Immortal

I'm not against taking a beating. Beatings will come 3rd or fourth round. I just think it's funny that year in and out you hear how "this game will prepare us for the playoffs" comments that seem to come with these games.
    How did it prepared Mercedes after they played Cal in Non district? They still lost to them in the playoffs again.
    Last edited by lmka; 01-06-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post

Makes total sense to me .

Immortal

How did it prepared Mercedes after they played Cal in Non district? Didn't they still lost to them in the playoffs again.
    Exactly my point, they've been playing cal every year and twice in some years, and I think mercedes hasn't really improved. In fact how many teams that have faced bsf teams have ma de it to the 3rd round in the past decade? Where are the results? A skilled small guy will likely lose to a skilled big guy.

Exactly my point, they've been playing cal every year and twice in some years, and I think mercedes hasn't really improved. In fact how many teams that have faced bsf teams have ma de it to the 3rd round in the past decade? Where are the results? A skilled small guy will likely lose to a skilled big guy.
    I see Mercedes better as a whole team every year and much more competitive. Sure Cal is in another level but I believe it has help the Tigers become better against local teams .You don't have to beat upper teams to learn something out of it.I mean when you keep playing them in a higher level then the local teams become easier to beat .It's about taking small steps and results won't show right away. I say let Mercy keep on playing Cal atleast doing something is better than doing nothing .

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    I see Mercedes better as a whole team every year and much more competitive. Sure Cal is in another level but I believe it has help the Tigers become better against local teams .You don't have to beat upper teams to learn something out of it.I mean when you keep playing them in a higher level then the local teams become easier to beat .It's about taking small steps and results won't show right away. I say let Mercy keep on playing Cal atleast doing something is better than doing nothing .
    Mercedes had a good group of kids coming up through middle school and more cities are implementing tyfa which gets the kids an early start. As far as it making it easier, tell that to (dc) bvets who faced no bsf teams.

Everyone Wants To Eat
    Few Want To Hunt

Immortal

Even though i dont think your comment has any cooerlation to this subject of bsf. It's simply hard to hunt lions with bb guns
    Last edited by Truth; 01-06-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Even though i dont think your comment has any cooerlation to this subject of bsf. It's simply hard to hunt lions with bb guns
    We get it ...You think small . Not everyone thinks like you.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    We get it ...You think small . Not everyone thinks like you.
    Naw Im a realist. You watch to many Disney movies bro...which would explain alot. Again I got no problem with teams scheduling bsf teams in non district...but please don't come in here and say it will prepare you for the playoffs cuz I've given examples of that not being the case and those teams haven't shown that improvement and in some cases regressed.

Just asking, if you're up by lets say 10 or more:
    4th quarter, 1st & 10, your opponent has no timeouts left, you're 30 yards out from the endzone with one minute left--scoring is ok instead of taking the knee??

I understand that finishing strong is the mindset but showing respect should not be forgotten too.

Thread Information