Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60
  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    Just asking, if you're up by lets say 10 or more:
    4th quarter, 1st & 10, your opponent has no timeouts left, you're 30 yards out from the endzone with one minute left--scoring is ok instead of taking the knee??

    I understand that finishing strong is the mindset but showing respect should not be forgotten too.
    10 points in not enough to secure a win.

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    Gotta take a chance anyway. It's fine to not want to take a beating. No one wants that, but also we can't sit around asking why our valley teams can't compete.

    Take the beatings, improve on what went wrong, and figure out a way to win OR make them earn that dubya the next go 'round.

    Yes. It sounds crazy. Me vale!
    Take a few too many beatings and the coaches will be on the hot seat. Kids wont want to try out for a loosing football program and parent and administrative support will decrease. Still dont see where pummeling a defeated foe benefits the superior team.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elcontrol View Post
    Take a few too many beatings and the coaches will be on the hot seat. Kids wont want to try out for a loosing football program and parent and administrative support will decrease. Still dont see where pummeling a defeated foe benefits the superior team.
    Coaches don't get on the hot seat by losing non-district games.

  4. #44
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    LA MAQUINA LAND
    Posts
    10,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Mercedes had a good group of kids coming up through middle school and more cities are implementing tyfa which gets the kids an early start. As far as it making it easier, tell that to (dc) bvets who faced no bsf teams.
    Mercedes had a good crop of kid this past 4 years but they are gone now. If they play Cal again same results will happen again. I believe that there are good teams in the Valley that can serve as measuring sticks for lower level teams to play in non district games. Last year if Mercy would have played San Bene or Memorial same results would have happen if they would have played them instead of Cal. And no I'm not ragging on Mercedes.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    Mercedes had a good crop of kid this past 4 years but they are gone now. If they play Cal again same results will happen again. I believe that there are good teams in the Valley that can serve as measuring sticks for lower level teams to play in non district games. Last year if Mercy would have played San Bene or Memorial same results would have happen if they would have played them instead of Cal. And no I'm not ragging on Mercedes.
    Those non-district games Mercy played against Rowe weren't so easy for the Tigers and I believe Rowe even beat them in a game or two or they had very close game.McMenorial has blown out Rowe those 4yrs so no I don't Mercy would of stand a chance against Memorial but will probably would given us a way better fight than Rowe. I really don't know what's the deal with Rowe,McHi that they just to be getting weaker and weaker.Rowe was known for such explosive air attack ,high scoring and McHi was at least competitive.

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    Mercedes had a good crop of kid this past 4 years but they are gone now. If they play Cal again same results will happen again. I believe that there are good teams in the Valley that can serve as measuring sticks for lower level teams to play in non district games. Last year if Mercy would have played San Bene or Memorial same results would have happen if they would have played them instead of Cal. And no I'm not ragging on Mercedes.
    Those non-district games Mercy played against Rowe weren't so easy for the Tigers and I believe Rowe even beat them in a game or two or they had very close game.McMenorial has blown out Rowe those 4yrs so no I don't Mercy would of stand a chance against Memorial but will probably would given us a way better fight than Rowe. I really don't know what's the deal with Rowe,McHi that they just to be getting weaker and weaker.Rowe was known for such explosive air attack ,high scoring and McHi was at least competitive.

  7. #47

    Default

    Anyone saw the RGV Boys scores results?
    Valley View 14
    Sam Houston 0
    ..... Now that's BRUTAL !!

  8. #48
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    Just asking, if you're up by lets say 10 or more:
    4th quarter, 1st & 10, your opponent has no timeouts left, you're 30 yards out from the endzone with one minute left--scoring is ok instead of taking the knee??

    I understand that finishing strong is the mindset but showing respect should not be forgotten too.
    I think looking from that refugio coaches eyes he sees it as an opportunity to run a 2 min. Offense. If it's under 2 mins. I don't mind taking a knee...but again every opportunity your team takes the field is an opportunity to get the most out your team.

    Would u guys see it respectful if a team like lake travis was up on a valley squad by 40 or 50 + by the half and came out the 3rd qtr and just took a knee from there on out knowing there defense could stop there opponent? Would that be disrespectful? It can go both ways. You guys are like yes u can run plays but not ones that will score.cmon what kind of winning mentality is that?

  9. #49
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    Mercedes had a good crop of kid this past 4 years but they are gone now. If they play Cal again same results will happen again. I believe that there are good teams in the Valley that can serve as measuring sticks for lower level teams to play in non district games. Last year if Mercy would have played San Bene or Memorial same results would have happen if they would have played them instead of Cal. And no I'm not ragging on Mercedes.
    I agree....it's not based on who u play, it's based on what u have on the field.

  10. #50
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    Those non-district games Mercy played against Rowe weren't so easy for the Tigers and I believe Rowe even beat them in a game or two or they had very close game.McMenorial has blown out Rowe those 4yrs so no I don't Mercy would of stand a chance against Memorial but will probably would given us a way better fight than Rowe. I really don't know what's the deal with Rowe,McHi that they just to be getting weaker and weaker.Rowe was known for such explosive air attack ,high scoring and McHi was at least competitive.
    Would scheduling bsf improve teams like Rowe or mchi? Or is it just the product they put out? This plays into my point. Mchi scheduled permian after they had that undefeated dc season thinking the way u guys do that it would make there team better playing that type of competition....and they are one of the teams that regressed after that stellar year. And I think they had there star qb coming back that following season.
    Last edited by Truth; 01-07-2018 at 02:00 PM.

  11. #51
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,717

    Default

    This type of mentality isn't based on running up the score to embarrass the other team, it's just to get the kids conditioned better and not have that take the foot of the pedal mentality, as some teams have lapses when that happens. Also these types of wins in my opinions get more participation from the communities as kids want to play for that program. It might have the same negative effect for opposing teams but tuff....you worry about your teams feelings and let others worry about theirs.

  12. #52
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    LA MAQUINA LAND
    Posts
    10,791

    Default

    So what's worst running up the score or running the clock?
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

  13. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    So what's worst running up the score or running the clock?
    I would say score. Running the clock is like stop the bleeding.

  14. #54
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post

    Someone had mention to me about this story and decided to share it with you guys cause I did find it very interesting.
    What are your thoughts in regards ?
    I think the some of the criticism Herring got was justified. And I said SOME, not all.

    The issue people got ticked off around these parts when that ESPN report ran is he was running up the score via razzzle dazzle, trick plays, etc with little time on the clock. I have no problem if one his players scored on a simple run or even a short pass play. It's still the defenses job to stop them. But doing half back pass with 30 seconds left on the clock against a team the equivalent of Monte Alto or Santa Maria.... Come on....

  15. #55
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    I would say score. Running the clock is like stop the bleeding.
    I would absolutely hate to be on the other side (losing) of a running clock. Only because the winning side will always reference it along with the butt whopping. And it does suck for the winning team in the sense you short change the non starters or two deep their shot at getting some good playing time you can't simulate in practice. If I am the coach of the team that is winning, I'd defer on a running clock for that reason, but let it be known my starters are not going back in and let players who play a certain position get a crack at another position.

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STFF View Post
    I would absolutely hate to be on the other side (losing) of a running clock. Only because the winning side will always reference it along with the butt whopping. And it does suck for the winning team in the sense you short change the non starters or two deep their shot at getting some good playing time you can't simulate in practice. If I am the coach of the team that is winning, I'd defer on a running clock for that reason, but let it be known my starters are not going back in and let players who play a certain position get a crack at another position.
    Well I can agree with you then. Also agree that ESPN might of twisted it towards their ratings...haven't really trusted their methods of stories and highlights for years now...I miss the old way of just giving the highlights of one game and move on instead of dwelling on a lightning rod topic for ratings.

  17. #57
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    Well I can agree with you then. Also agree that ESPN might of twisted it towards their ratings...haven't really trusted their methods of stories and highlights for years now...I miss the old way of just giving the highlights of one game and move on instead of dwelling on a lightning rod topic for ratings.
    Oh I agree. They are looking for ratings and ESPN has been losing viewers. They have to try to attract an audience by doing stuff like this vs just doing sports which made them the sports channel of choice.

  18. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STFF View Post
    Oh I agree. They are looking for ratings and ESPN has been losing viewers. They have to try to attract an audience by doing stuff like this vs just doing sports which made them the sports channel of choice.
    Yup. ESPN has an agenda that driving away viewers. I hope they crash and burn...

  19. #59

    Default

    According to MaxPreps
    Haven holds the record with 256 points by one team in a single game and it looks that record will be safe for awhile.
    Football in the 1920s was a time of colossal BLOWOUTS .
    Nov.16,1927
    Haven ( Haven,Kan.) VS Slyvia ( Sylvia,Kan.)

  20. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    According to MaxPreps
    Haven holds the record with 256 points by one team in a single game and it looks that record will be safe for awhile.
    Football in the 1920s was a time of colossal BLOWOUTS .
    Nov.16,1927
    Haven ( Haven,Kan.) VS Slyvia ( Sylvia,Kan.)
    there's no place like home...

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •