Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Running Up The Score

Someone had mention to me about this story and decided to share it with you guys cause I did find it very interesting.
    What are your thoughts in regards ?

Good topic.

It’s a tough situation to be in, but if a coach feels the need to make a move that will benefit his team in regards to wining a state title, go for it.

Platinum

I'm all for running up the score... A few years ago, Sharyland would pull their starters in the 2nd half often up by over 40pts at the half in those games... I believe it cost them come playoff time...

To me it would all depends ,If it's a rivalry game yea go ahead and stack it up. But in others games games where the game is pretty much put away , I say just play good D and O just run out the clock.Showing good sportsmanship,respect says a lot about the team ,coaches and school. Especially if your going up against a struggling team. Once your 30/40 points over you have pretty much proven your point.

What he is doing is not running up the score...

Running up the score would be keeping the starters in the entire game, onside kicks, trick plays, etc.

I can’t stand seeing subs just run the ball to kill time. Subs are usually next years starters; let them become acclimated with the offense.

If the offense is clicking and score on every drive, then it isn't running up the score--it's a defense that doesn't have an answer. Even if the starters are pulled out and still execute, that's just the difference of talents between the opponents. I do agree with card that opponents running onside kicks and trick plays while they're ahead is running up the score and is uncalled for.

Junior Varsity

when rowe beat porter 88-0 a few years back, everyone was crying about it.

i saw the film then & they had taken out all their starters by halftime and the back ups were scoring off of basic plays. simple hand off for a 60-70yrd run...a simple slant turned into a 80yd td..etc.

Don't believe in running up a score and embarrassing an opponent. In High School football we must remember that the other side is also trying to win even though they may be over matched. Superior team coaches can pretty much control what is going in the game. They are not there to embarrass the other program or their coaches. Don't believe that pulling the starters after half a game would impact a playoff run. Stamina, strength and mental toughness should be taught not only in the second half but throughout the preparation process for a four quarter game against tough competition.

I have seen many games to where the game is way over with 3minutes remaining in 4th Qtr ( For example ) and they could of easily just let the clock run down but they are still trying it's best run up the score.

Quote Originally Posted by elcontrol View Post
    Don't believe in running up a score and embarrassing an opponent. In High School football we must remember that the other side is also trying to win even though they may be over matched. Superior team coaches can pretty much control what is going in the game. They are not there to embarrass the other program or their coaches. Don't believe that pulling the starters after half a game would impact a playoff run. Stamina, strength and mental toughness should be taught not only in the second half but throughout the preparation process for a four quarter game against tough competition.
    Game experience is the best conditioning and if your starters are only playing a half, it will have an affect.

Immortal

I'm all for 4 qtr football, but if coaches are going to put subs in, let the subs run plays from the entire playbook. Don't have them run plays to run out the clock. Some of these kids that's there only time to shine and you got them basically taking a knee to not hurt the other teams feelings.

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

This topic takes me back to McMemorial vs SB regular season game.

Coach said I have a Senior back-up who hasn’t played and if you don’t want him to score, then stop him.
    Last edited by lmoya; 01-04-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Heisman Winner

Running up the score only applies to onside kicks or play action deep ball which is rarely the case. I often see McMemorial starters playing early 4th qt in blowouts. I would think for conditioning purposes. When backups come in they continue to score on the ground. Backups play harder than starters in most cases.
    Last edited by redwave; 01-05-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    Running up the score only applies to onside kicks or play action deep ball which is rarely the case. I often see McMemorial starters playing early 4th qt in blowouts. I would think for conditioning purposes. When backups come in they continue to score on the ground. Backups play harder than starters in most cases.
    Very true and the most majority of the teams do it.Probably for different reasons for example ; intimidation, simply trying to impress scouts by stacking up your stats,polishing skills,trying new tricks etc etc.

La Joya Coyotes ,Mission Eagles were one of those teams that loved to run up the scoreboard on it's glory days.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    La Joya Coyotes ,Mission Eagles were one of those teams that loved to run up the scoreboard on it's glory days.
    Raymondville back in the 70 and 80. Also Donna Redskins.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Retired Football Guru

Meh, it's a character builder. Life tends to run up the score on a lot of folks and people manage to overcome life's challenges.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    Meh, it's a character builder. Life tends to run up the score on a lot of folks and people manage to overcome life's challenges.
    Agreed.

If a team is already dominated I dont see any benefit for the starters to continue to pummel an already defeated opponent.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    Well said....I guess saying "go out there and give it 100% for four qtrs" doesn't apply this day and age. It's a every body deserves a trophy politically correct era.

Thread Information