Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Immortal

Default 2018 Weslaco Panthers

Well 2017 ended up being a rough inaugural start for the Michael Salinas era in Panther Country, but in a sense it was expected, good young talent but when you mix that in with having to learn a new system where its pass first, run second it was definately an adjustment for the kids in the program after 12 years of the slot t not too mention all of the above and then playing in the toughest district in the valley. BUT throughout the season we also saw flashes of whats to come, and when they were in sync they were fun to watch, injuries to key players really took a toll and the position of QB i think is what really hurt us down the stretch, with that said 2018 is here and i think i can speak on behalf of Panther fans when i say we are really looking forward to seeing what these guys coming back can do and with one full season of the new offense in place .. Returnees ..........

OFFENSE:
    QB -- Jacob Cavazos (jr) He was only able to play for the first 4 games of the season (backup role) before he suffered a broken collarbone in the hanna game and was lost for the yr, this kid can play, hes that dual threat qb who fits this up tempo offense like a glove, i think Salinas will go with him as the starter, at least he should, if jacob can use the offseason to focus on his passing game and as well as get stronger, expect big things from this kid, because from what was seen of him in the short period as a soph, he instantly makes the panther offense better with his ability.
    Sophomore year - https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9194437...19420f142293d6 *All District HM

RB -- Peyton Knaub (jr) Another kid we lost early on in the season with great ability in the backfield and on special teams. He'll be back and looking to make a bigger impact for us, he had that 85 yd kickoff return for the win vs Marshall in wk 1.
    RB -- Jeremy Coronado (sr) Got some playing time behind Matt De Santiago, looked promising ..

Wr/Ath -- Devin Dena (sr) Kid is a playmaker anywhere he is put
    Wr/rb -- Jaden Cavazos (jr) Talented kid, made alot of plays for us throughout the year *2nd Team All District
    Wr/fs -- Jay Granados (jr) Kid seemed to always make the big grabs when we needed it most

TE -- Rolando Berrones (jr) Good sized kid, used sparingly but when he was in the game, seemed like all he did was catch tds *First Team All District
    TE -- Isaac Villarreal (sr)

OLINE - Cody Rodriguez, Fred Salazar

DEFENSE:
    LB -- Marco Noriega (sr) This kid has a nonstop motor, hes just all over the place, fully expect a big senior year from him, was the leader and defensive captain last season as a jr.

FS -- Roy Trevino (sr) Another defensive captain, kid can hit, likes to create turnovers, look for more big things from him in his sr year

CB - Jake Espinoza (sr)
    CB - Axel Camarena (sr)

Dline - Seth Sanchez, Benito Juarez, Sam Perez, Jesse Ramos

Immortal

Chime in Panther Fans, on other players maybe we should look out for.. One thing Salinas does need to do is find his QB and stick with him, i think the whole using 2 qbs at a time in a game was a bad idea and from the beginning messed with the flow of the offense, not too mention after a while we became very predictable depending on which qb was in the game. Offseason should have started the day after our final loss, so hope our coaches and players are already hard at work on getting better and being prepared for the upcoming season..

Hall of Famer

2017 was definitely a year to forget in my opinion, even with all the youth that we had there were lots of fundamentals to be lacking (got better as the season progressed) but the lack of discipline was pretty consistent through out the whole year.

But on to 2018 and hoping for a better showing from this still fairly young group with a year under their belts with the new regime.

Hall of Famer

I think Peyton is out all next year from what I heard. He had another injury to his knee to end last season in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator in Training

Quote Originally Posted by dwade3 View Post
    I think Peyton is out all next year from what I heard. He had another injury to his knee to end last season in practice.

I heard the same thing. He will not be back next year. I wish him a healthy recovery.
    I'm not afraid to think outside the box or put 8 in it.

Moderator in Training

There was talk about scheduling Weslaco High and Edcouch Elsa in week 1. I heard this from my friends at EE but now Im hearing EE vs Donna North. I'm sure you can see that connection and why.
    I'm not afraid to think outside the box or put 8 in it.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by dwade3 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    I heard the same thing. He will not be back next year. I wish him a healthy recovery.
    Well damn that sucks.. Season hasnt even started yet and thats already a talented kid who wont be playing. Well guess lets see who steps up in the off-season because with the loss of de santiago we'll need some more depth in the backfield besides coronado.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    There was talk about scheduling Weslaco High and Edcouch Elsa in week 1. I heard this from my friends at EE but now Im hearing EE vs Donna North. I'm sure you can see that connection and why.
    Yeah wondering if salinas will want to spark up the mid valley rivalries again, guess we have to wait and see what happens with realignment.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Midvalleyftball79 View Post
    Yeah wondering if salinas will want to spark up the mid valley rivalries again, guess we have to wait and see what happens with realignment.

Maybe Salinas can schedule Ed Vela, heard both coaches had a “spark up” with each other over the weekend.

Premium

So if Weslaco struggles again who will you all blame?
    There is a high possibility that they will
    Who's fault will it be now?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Rang66 View Post
    Life goes on....

How about you, who do you blame for the cards missing the playoffs? Seems like you’re still thinking about last year.

Quote Originally Posted by panther85 View Post
    Life goes on....

How about you, who do you blame for the cards missing the playoffs? Seems like you’re still thinking about last year.
    HAHAHAHAHA, you are so fixated on Harlingen that you failed to realize that a PI poster is busting your _______.
    Last edited by cardinal85; 01-25-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA, you are so fixated on Harlingen that you failed to realize that a PI poster is busting your _______.
    Pardon the confusion since he’s always kissing your you know what and seems to cheer for your team religiously.

Ok, same question mr. Tarpon, still reminiscing from last year?

Pardon the confusion since he’s always kissing your you know what and seems to cheer for your team religiously.

Rang66 does no such thing. He gives props here and there...

Premium

No the season was over before it started for pi
    I don't see this year being any different, hope not but it's
    Just the reality right now

Immortal

Dont worry about it..

Immortal

Maybe Salinas can schedule Ed Vela, heard both coaches had a “spark up” with each other over the weekend.
    Oh yeah.. I know i wouldn't mind, but we might end up in the same district, gotta wait and see what happens with realignment.

Immortal

Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Midvalleyftball79 View Post
    Dont worry about it..
    You should be worried

Immortal

You should be worried
    Im not.. You on the on the otherhand being a tarpon fan should be.

Thread Information