Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's A Good Non-District Opponent To You ?

We have had this discussion over and over again every year.Some say let's schedule tougher opponents from out of the valley so we grasp a better experience playing with the bigger guys.While others disagree and say playing teams up North does not guarantee or change the outcome that was already destined for that year.I see it both ways but I think if an RGV team is just a maybe below average team they have no business scheduling teams much tougher ,better skilled if at the end of the game it will probably kill the team's ego,pride or whatever you wanna call it.I personally never understood why Brewer went to the extent of scheduling Odessa in the 1st place.I mean he was new to McHi and he himself hadn't even build a one to one relationship and probably wanted to show everyone he meant business but backfired in my opinion. Look at McHi now and looks like they are walking backwards barley floating to stay alive. Nikki Rowe is scheduling smaller schools when I believe they should atleast be playing 6-A teams or Laredo teams.McMemorial''s non-district schedule was not the best but really good tough 10 top RGV teams and probably should throw in S.A team in the mix.How about Harlingen H.? They upset Reagan but yet didn't make the playoffs? Who would of thought of that?But never the less I believe Manny is doing good in scheduling them.So I guess the more consistent teams year in year out should be scheduling North teams while the one's trying to start it's winning tradition should 1st take care of business in with the competition within ? I just say this much ..
    If McMemorial we're to have scheduled Steel for an example, our outcome would of probably be same at the end of the season.Another thing is us wanting to play them in our schedule but would they wanna play a weak valley team to where they will benefit nothing in return and would much rather schedule a worthy opponent? " Wouldn't you?
    So again...What's a good non- district opponent to you?

Just look at Sharyland Rattlers non-district schedule and they almost beat Alice.

A team of similar skill level that has a play style to what they'll see in district.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    Just look at Sharyland Rattlers non-district schedule and they almost beat Alice.
    Alice had some absolute animals... I'd like to play them again, but we might see them again come playoff time.

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

Brewer didn’t schedule Odessa his first year, and while he did his 2nd and 3 rd year it was off in his classification. 1st year they returned a lot and it was competitive, 2nd year not even close with no Qb and only McGowen. You have to take into consideration your class, McMemorial had perfect opportunity to schedule someone while Trevor was there because he was lined up with realignment ( good class ). These next 2 years for McMemorial are good (Campbell) but not great cuz once this next class graduates it’s not as strong the 2nd unless they really develop.

Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post
    Brewer didn’t schedule Odessa his first year, and while he did his 2nd and 3 rd year it was off in his classification. 1st year they returned a lot and it was competitive, 2nd year not even close with no Qb and only McGowen. You have to take into consideration your class, McMemorial had perfect opportunity to schedule someone while Trevor was there because he was lined up with realignment ( good class ). These next 2 years for McMemorial are good (Campbell) but not great cuz once this next class graduates it’s not as strong the 2nd unless they really develop.
    Mr.Brewer should not be credited for the 1st year he came in to McHi and they only lost one game in district .I agree with you about Mr.Littleton doing a better job scheduling better teams when Trevor was around. Now what will happen once Campbell leaves ? That's still 2yrs from now and will just have to wait and see till then .We know Rowe and McHi doesn't know how to utilize it's RB's to it's full potential so maybe some kids from the middle schools will be smart enough wanna choose to attend Memorial instead. Sorry but McHi needs to look for other options again if they wanna have a successful football program but that's only my personal opinion. I don't like anything in his coaching style to make me believe he belongs there. As a person he looks like an awesome guy but as a HC he looks clueless.

Mr.Brewer should not be credited for the 1st year he came in to McHi and they only lost one game in district .I agree with you about Mr.Littleton doing a better job scheduling better teams when Trevor was around. Now what will happen once Campbell leaves ? That's still 2yrs from now and will just have to wait and see till then .We know Rowe and McHi doesn't know how to utilize it's RB's to it's full potential so maybe some kids from the middle schools will be smart enough wanna choose to attend Memorial instead. Sorry but McHi needs to look for other options again if they wanna have a successful football program but that's only my personal opinion. I don't like anything in his coaching style to make me believe he belongs there. As a person he looks like an awesome guy but as a HC he looks clueless.
    Mchi teams that are purely brewer built, which means no players left from Harris era, go like this:
    2015:5-6
    2016:3-7
    2017:4-7

Mchi teams that are purely brewer built, which means no players left from Harris era, go like this:
    2015:5-6
    2016:3-7
    2017:4-7

Heisman Winner

A good opponent for week 1 is a weak team to help your team break in the pads and familiarize your new players with the playbook. The next 2 games against a tough running team like W East and a spread passing team .

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Alice had some absolute animals... I'd like to play them again, but we might see them again come playoff time.
    Are you talking about Cochino ?
    Harlingen Cardinals Most Wins Of Any Team In Valley History.

Just another post from an ARROGANT CARDINAL FAN.

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Matt Stepp has Shary and Alice in the same district in his mock realignment.

Immortal

Any team that a Valley team wouldn't face unless in the 3rd round or 4th round of the playoffs.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by christofire View Post
    I saw that, they make our district automatically stronger... They're tough

Quote Originally Posted by christofire View Post
    Better than Laredo lol

The opponent depends on the classification, no?

Quote Originally Posted by AllStarEscobar1969 View Post
    Better than Laredo lol
    Oh don't worry, Cigarroa is there also. haha

Quote Originally Posted by AllStarEscobar1969 View Post
    Better than Laredo lol
    You mean better than The Laredo that shared 2 District titles in that District?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirt View Post
    You mean better than The Laredo that shared 2 District titles in that District?
    I think he meant better to drive to Alice than to Laredo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlerbacker View Post
    I think he meant better to drive to Alice than to Laredo.
    Meant the drive and also the fact that it’s not 3 schools anymore for those unlucky few teams that had to go to Laredo 3x in a year

Hall of Famer

I would like to see a mid level SA or Austin team. One that is maybe making the playoffs consistently at the 3rd or 4th spot in their district. Maybe a midway point game against an El Paso big dog. I would like to see who has the border crown.
    Originally Posted by newbler
    Do i flame? You betcha

Thread Information