Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Your top ten teams for 2018

So our RGV football season was way over in the 3rd round as usual .Looking way ahead into 2018 who do you think will be our top ten teams in the coming year ? This not a top ten poll but rather just naming the 10 RGV teams that will be rank coming into the 1st week of footbal and probably still standing till the last week of the regular season,So you don't have to set them in any particular order. Will Harligen H.,Edcouch Elsa come back into it's old traditional ways or will they will still struggle on 2018 and not make the top ten list? How about Hanna ,PSJA H., and other teams that surprise many by making the playoffs ,Will they once again comeback and stay consistent another year ? It will be interesting to watch Sharyland H. in action once again after an impressive 2017 . Of course we can't leave SB out in the discussion, along with McMemorial, Vela,La Feria,Mercedes just to name a few .Another team that will be interesting to watch will the Panthers after a struggling year they had .The new realignment will be another thing that will probably make some changes and teams moving up in classification or moving down.Can't wait for 2018 football season to get here....GIVE US YOUR THOUGHTS AND 2 CENTS

Platinum

Mission Veterans needs to be in the discussion for one of the top teams in 2018... Both QB Landry Gilpin and big time WR Mikey Garcia both returning, Sharyland is returning 9 Starters on Offense and 5 more on Defense from a 9-3 team, so I think they should be in the discussion as well... Edinburg Vela is returning their whole OL and I've heard rumors that RB Christian Flores might be returning to Vela... Trey Guajardo is returning to lead the PSJA Bears for the 3rd year in a row, they also return plenty of help at WR to help that pass happy Offense... I've heard Weslao East has a lot of good kids coming back as well...

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Mission Veterans needs to be in the discussion for one of the top teams in 2018... Both QB Landry Gilpin and big time WR Mikey Garcia both returning, Sharyland is returning 9 Starters on Offense and 5 more on Defense from a 9-3 team, so I think they should be in the discussion as well... Edinburg Vela is returning their whole OL and I've heard rumors that RB Christian Flores might be returning to Vela... Trey Guajardo is returning to lead the PSJA Bears for the 3rd year in a row, they also return plenty of help at WR to help that pass happy Offense... I've heard Weslao East has a lot of good kids coming back as well...
    Agree ...I'm Just not bought just yet with East since the big guy will no longer be returning. Wildcats will be competitive but not as strong.

Does anyone even know how good PSJA was this year? They started off strong then seemed to fall off of a cliff, including that ugly loss to Vela.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by christofire View Post
    Does anyone even know how good PSJA was this year? They started off strong then seemed to fall off of a cliff, including that ugly loss to Vela.
    They'll be solid... They were real young this season, I think they'll take 2nd in that district, but Edinburg High might make some noise too..

Quote Originally Posted by christofire View Post
    I wouldn't take anything away from the Bears.Vela is just in another level that they should be in a tougher district.

Hall of Famer

Let’s see for a top 10
    1. San Benito (I know they are loosing a lot of talent to graduation but until someone can beat them they are still the top team in the valley)
    2. Los Fresnos
    3. Edinburg Vela
    4. Weslaco East
    5. Mission Vets
    6. McAllen Memorial
    7. Brownsville Vets
    8. Brownsville Hanna
    9. PSJA High
    10. Mercedes
    FALCON PRIDE NEVER DIES...GO FALCONS GO

Quote Originally Posted by norcal95 View Post
    Let’s see for a top 10
    1. San Benito (I know they are loosing a lot of talent to graduation but until someone can beat them they are still the top team in the valley)
    2. Los Fresnos
    3. Edinburg Vela
    4. Weslaco East
    5. Mission Vets
    6. McAllen Memorial
    7. Brownsville Vets
    8. Brownsville Hanna
    9. PSJA High
    10. Mercedes
    Brownsville Vets and PSJA High among the top ten teams ?

I have a feeling that the Cardinals will be among the top ten( I could wrong).

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    Brownsville Vets and PSJA High among the top ten teams ?
    Vets on their district and PSJA finished 2nd in district. If I’m correct the QB for PSJA High will be back. As for vets who knows, they beat everyone in their district. As for Harlingen their up in the air
    FALCON PRIDE NEVER DIES...GO FALCONS GO

Heisman Winner

Edinburg Vela is returning their whole OL and I've heard rumors that RB Christian Flores might be returning to Vela
    Shhh......

Immortal

Let’s see for a top 10
    2. Los Fresnos
    3. Edinburg Vela
    4. Weslaco East
    5. Mission Vets
    6. McAllen Memorial
    7. Brownsville Vets
    8. Brownsville Hanna
    9. PSJA High
    10. Mercedes
    Mercedes will have to replace 18 starters from the 2017 team. Los Fresnos a little high at 2.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Immortal

La Maquina will be fine in 2018 don't let the 5-5 record lull you. They have a good core coming back next year. Having an off year is good for a team. What it does it makes players hungry again and not to take thing for granted thinking that it will fall in place just because it has in the past. This an off year for the Big Three E-E , Harlingen and PI. This will make the players work harder to get back to the tradition that past teams had built.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    Mercedes will have to replace 18 starters from the 2017 team. Los Fresnos a little high at 2.
    I noticed Sharyland wasn't even mentioned on that list... I guess going 9-3 and returning almost the entire team doesn't count for much...
    Last edited by RGVTrouble; 12-28-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Immortal

I noticed Sharyland wasn't even mentioned on that list... I guess going 9-3 and returning almost the entire team format account for much...
    That's because his blind at what coming next year. Los Fresnos has to replace their QB plus other players. Velas has to replace their QB also. Mercedes has to find a replacement for their QB also. This are huge holes this 3 teams have to fill.

Premium

I know one thing Port Isabel is not on that list

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rang66 View Post
    I know one thing Port Isabel is not on that list

Sadly but true

Premium

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    Sadly but true
    You got to be real with your program and that's the fact in Port Isabel

Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    That's because his blind at what coming next year. Los Fresnos has to replace their QB plus other players. Velas has to replace their QB also. Mercedes has to find a replacement for their QB also. This are huge holes this 3 teams have to fill.
    Agree and that can be an obstacle for those teams .East losing it's starting QB is huge but East has always reloaded. And those who had key players on D and will be leaving due to graduation is another issue for many teams .McMemorial will be losing some starters on D and that's a real concern.

Heisman Winner

SB will be at 8 or so. I wasn't impressed with the rest of team besides Harper and Retta. Memorial ran all over them in the playoffs with underclassmen in the backfield. Good list but Harlingen and Shary are missing.
    Let’s see for a top 10
    2. Los Fresnos
    3. Edinburg Vela
    4. Weslaco East
    5. Mission Vets
    6. McAllen Memorial
    7. Brownsville Vets
    8. Brownsville Hanna
    9. PSJA High
    10. Mercedes

Thread Information