Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Varsity

My Social Networking

Follow J Wade Mcdaniel On Twitter

Default LEE SLIDES INTO AC/HD FOOTBALL POSITION AT PIONEER

AC will be named the Head Football Coach/AC at Pioneer by January 5. I hear that there will be no interviews as well. How do they just give him the job? Why doesn't that happen in 2014 when the school opened? It would have made more sense then. Why put coaches and families in this position? Now, you put coaches out of a job and displace families because politics didn't want Lee there year 1, but year 4-5 is the perfect time to make this move. Isn't it customary to give a coach 3 years to develop a program and get it going into the right direction? They gave Wheeler 4 years. Was the direction wrong? If it was wrong after season 1, 2, & 3, he should have been removed last season. Instead, he wins the district in year 3 and makes the playoffs in year 4, and then he gets the "different direction" lines. There are way too many questions with this move. Maybe board is more favorable now than in 2014. Who is on the board now that wasn't in 2014? Someone enlighten me please. I'd be SHOCKED if this doesn't actually happen.

And yes i'm very interested in the workings of things at my old school district and the district that I grew up in. I got the different direction speech after year 3, so I understand the way the coaching world works. I just never ceases to amaze me how things work these days.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by J Wade Mcdaniel View Post
    AC will be named the Head Football Coach/AC at Pioneer by January 5. I hear that there will be no interviews as well. How do they just give him the job? Why doesn't that happen in 2014 when the school opened? It would have made more sense then. Why put coaches and families in this position? Now, you put coaches out of a job and displace families because politics didn't want Lee there year 1, but year 4-5 is the perfect time to make this move. Isn't it customary to give a coach 3 years to develop a program and get it going into the right direction? They gave Wheeler 4 years. Was the direction wrong? If it was wrong after season 1, 2, & 3, he should have been removed last season. Instead, he wins the district in year 3 and makes the playoffs in year 4, and then he gets the "different direction" lines. There are way too many questions with this move. Maybe board is more favorable now than in 2014. Who is on the board now that wasn't in 2014? Someone enlighten me please. I'd be SHOCKED if this doesn't actually happen.

And yes i'm very interested in the workings of things at my old school district and the district that I grew up in. I got the different direction speech after year 3, so I understand the way the coaching world works. I just never ceases to amaze me how things work these days.
    I remember when Tom Lee took over for Jeff Dicus when Jeff took the job at Lake Travis in 2004, I think Tom went 5-6 or something like that... Not great, but Jeff Dicus did take the Mission Eagles starting QB Nick Byrd with him when he left, so in Tom's defense Dicus didn't exactly leave a full cupboard to work with...
    Last edited by RGVTrouble; 12-05-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Heisman Winner

At least Lee had an established program to build from unlike Wheeler when he stepped in yet Wheeler showed good results.. Lee's track and field coaching results speak for themselves but his football success is far from that. I seriously think they give him the Job. If they do it could be Port Isabel all over again
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    I remember when Tom Lee took over for Jeff Dicus when Jeff took the job at Lake Travis in 2004, I think Tom went 5-6 or something like that... Not great, but Jeff Dicus did take the Mission Eagles starting QB Nick Byrd with him when he left, so in Tom's defense Dicus didn't exactly leave a full cupboard to work with...

Platinum

They should just rename it Pioneer ISD... The school board is comprised of ENTIRELY Pioneer or Pioneer families or Pioneer zoned people... http://www.sharylandisd.org/school_board

Heisman Winner

They are educated and will make the right choice for the job.

Premium

Quote Originally Posted by handy manny View Post
    They are educated and will make the right choice for the job.
    Haha that's funny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

They should just rename it Pioneer ISD... The school board is comprised of ENTIRELY Pioneer or Pioneer families or Pioneer zoned people... http://www.sharylandisd.org/school_board
    So there are no guidelines on which section of Sharyland they should represent and not just one area in particular?

Hall of Famer

Interesting that when Pioneer was opening the board and thompson makes a decision to pay at the new school an Athletic Coordinator and Head Coach. When at the old school they pay one person to due both duties. This was odd from the very beginning in my opinion. TL seemed like the front runner from the beginning but something change that direction. Was it members of the board back then? Anyhow, the thought of one day to the next getting rid of a person with no explanation is sad and wrong. Texas is an "At Will Employment" yes we all know, but such treatment is bad. I guess the message to Shary employees is your hear today but could be gone tomorrow without explanation! Yikes!

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    So there are no guidelines on which section of Sharyland they should represent and not just one area in particular?
    I guess they kinda have to agree to "rep" both schools, but you NEVER see them at Shary High games or events.. They ONLY go to Pioneer stuff... Their lil brainchild in which they tried their damnedest to emulate Robert Vela High School has been a calossal failure...

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
    Interesting that when Pioneer was opening the board and thompson makes a decision to pay at the new school an Athletic Coordinator and Head Coach. When at the old school they pay one person to due both duties. This was odd from the very beginning in my opinion. TL seemed like the front runner from the beginning but something change that direction. Was it members of the board back then? Anyhow, the thought of one day to the next getting rid of a person with no explanation is sad and wrong. Texas is an "At Will Employment" yes we all know, but such treatment is bad. I guess the message to Shary employees is your hear today but could be gone tomorrow without explanation! Yikes!
    Believe me there were reasons to take a hard look at Coach Wheeler. It's not just about winning or making the playoffs-

Junior Varsity

My Social Networking

Follow J Wade Mcdaniel On Twitter

I don’t understand why everyone wants to hide behind things. Wheeler got the program going in the right direction. Parents have plenty to do with what goes on. I’m sure someone got crossed and demanded to get their way, and it was easier to wave bye to Wheeler than support him. Support is necessary to run a solid program.

Who has applied for this position as of now? It’s not very attractive to many with it posted online as “Teacher/Head Football Coach.” I don’t see many interested without the AC tag, so again it’s Lee’s job to do as he pleases.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by BABYBOOMER View Post
    Believe me there were reasons to take a hard look at Coach Wheeler. It's not just about winning or making the playoffs-
    Well, do tell...

Heisman Winner

If the Board really cares about Pioneer Football they will search San Antonio and hire a coach there just like Edinburg Vela did.

Junior Varsity

Well, do tell...
    treatment of players-organization-treatment of players-communication-treatment of players-arrogance-professionalism-treatment of players.......

Junior Varsity

there was no demand- there was support from parents, administration and community - unfortunately support wasn't accepted- never easy to ask an employee to leave- right direction? yes he did but somehow he went in the wrong direction with several things that are important in coaching- One of them being relationships and building relationships- stay humble wasn't in the staff vocabulary and I am not bashing anyone- just saying some incidents very unprofessional.... wish him well and hoping he sees where he veered off course and lands on his feet.

Platinum

I have heard that a lot of coaches (possible applicants) aren't taking the Sharyland Pioneer position seriously, they believe Pioneer is just going through the motions... Is Tom Lee going to be offered the position after all??? If so, will he resume his Athletic Coordinator duties or will Pioneer ISD hire another AC??

Only thing Wheeler did wrong was not baby selfish players who could care less about the TEAM in SHARYLAND PIONEER YOU WIN DISTRICT YOU ARE OK AND IF YOU PLAY THE RIGHT PLAYERS YOU WILL be OK as well watch what happens if Basketball team misses playoffs this year NOTHING !

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Rush82 View Post
    Only thing Wheeler did wrong was not baby selfish players who could care less about the TEAM in SHARYLAND PIONEER YOU WIN DISTRICT YOU ARE OK AND IF YOU PLAY THE RIGHT PLAYERS YOU WILL be OK as well watch what happens if Basketball team misses playoffs this year NOTHING !
    again he was not asked to step down because of win loss record or playoff appearances
    again he had lots of support but he failed to utilize that support- never on the same page- built a wall between himself and the people that would and could help him

Quote Originally Posted by BABYBOOMER View Post
    again he was not asked to step down because of win loss record or playoff appearances
    again he had lots of support but he failed to utilize that support- never on the same page- built a wall between himself and the people that would and could help him
    Built a wall between him and people who could help him or built a wall between him and outside noise trying to be in his ear about how he runs his program? There’s a difference.

Ok here is how it went down so we can all move on and get back to our lives because it was same way Marichalar was removed and common practice in the Valley. You have a group of parents who don't like how a coach runs his program because he is not a politician for there cause One is sister of athletic coordinator who listens to every complaint yet has little or no communication with head coach then you have a board member who also has ties with athletic coordinator so now you have a perfect storm for a reassignment so the guy who was passed over by the previous board can now get the job he so desperately wanted four years ago because the board is ok with him at this current time. Parents go straight to board members and AD and Principal act like there hands are tied . You guys get the picture .Everyone have a blessed X Mas .

Thread Information