Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Junior Varsity

Just bring Stumbaugh back.

Heisman Winner

Coach Garcia, who was at Santa Rosa a few years ago, had a very good running game. He was running all kinds of plays from different formations, yes even the slot and veer from the spread. Not sure where he is now, but was at Santa Maria from SR.

Tony V is very ready, willing, and able! Why not have him get his 200th win where he started his head coaching career?

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

How bout the current Lyford coach?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post
    How bout the current Lyford coach?
    No mames....lol
    Don't look now but the Texans may have found a QB

Legend

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by osprey fishing View Post
    No mames....lol
    You don’t think Coach Gonzalez has done a good job?

Retired Super Moderator

You don’t think Coach Gonzalez has done a good job?
    It's not that.

Spread........yucky. And we've already gone through one Lyford coach. Very bad juju, that Lyford place.

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pantherbear34 View Post
    Tony V is very ready, willing, and able! Why not have him get his 200th win where he started his head coaching career?
    That would be the ideal situation, IMO. And it would give PI leadership the opportunity to correct their horrible mistake from a year ago. Problem is, he's rumored to be a finalist for the Brownsville Lopez job. If he ends up landing that, then he's off the table.

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rush82 View Post
    What about Wheeler head coach and Johnny Galvan back to run the offense . They worked together well once before .
    This is just my opinion. Jason Wheeler is a much better Defensive Coordinator than he is a head coach. Besides, Wheeler ran Spread at Pioneer. Yuck!

As for Johnny Galvan, he's actually a personal friend of mine who I've already spoken to regarding this situation. He's flat out said "no" about applying for PI again. So he's not an option.

Legend

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    That would be the ideal situation, IMO. And it would give PI leadership the opportunity to correct their horrible mistake from a year ago. Problem is, he's rumored to be a finalist for the Brownsville Lopez job. If he ends up landing that, then he's off the table.

So pretty much PI fans wanna go back to ground and pound only. Spread is a formation not an offense.

McMemorial Coach Littleton is a run 1st kinda guy but also goes into spelread formation and runs out of that.

Premium

This is a disaster
    The position should open up today
    By doing this in my opinion the sup has someone in mind
    Will be another bro deal
    Until proven wrong I will continue to believe it

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rang66 View Post
    This is a disaster
    The position should open up today
    By doing this in my opinion the sup has someone in mind
    Will be another bro deal
    Until proven wrong I will continue to believe it
    I sort of agree. I hope I'm proven wrong though, but if it is indeed another "bro deal" I think I know who the coach is.

So pretty much PI fans wanna go back to ground and pound only. Spread is a formation not an offense.

McMemorial Coach Littleton is a run 1st kinda guy but also goes into spelread formation and runs out of that.
    Exactly, I think Briles had the perfect system at Baylor. It was run first but throw the ball here and there to create some space for the backs. That’s what the spread is best at.

Premium

Quote Originally Posted by christofire View Post
    Exactly, I think Briles had the perfect system at Baylor. It was run first but throw the ball here and there to create some space for the backs. That’s what the spread is best at.
    When you get to hand pick your players it's easier
    This is a 4a school get real

Premium

Where's nfc?

Retired Super Moderator

When you get to hand pick your players it's easier
    This is a 4a school get real
    Exactly. And trying to change what is for all intents and purposes, a culture of ground and pound that has been there for generations, IMO, is arrogant and irresponsible.

Coaches can't make the mistake that just because it's Port Isabel, anything can work there. If a coach wants to come in and try passing the ball, that coach is going to have to be ok with ground & pound ball for at least 4-5 years while developing a passing game slowly over time. Still, PI's greatest strength will always and forever be the power running game. It's simply a way of life at PI that outsiders simply cannot understand.
    Last edited by Tarpons1994; 05-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Retired Super Moderator

Where's nfc?
    Dude, I'm fine with him not being around.

Junior Varsity

Multiple things here-

1. Briles offense is take what they give you. One of his checks is called “gift”. It is not predicated run or pass first.

2. Rang66- ur friend is smart to say no. I have a friend that feels the same way that would do great there. But he said as long as the ring master is master is there, no way.

3. Reading people talk about offense (spread/power run/lots of plays) is a perfect example of laymen talking shop but really don’t know anything other than vernacular. Now if they discuss how to isolate the extra hat in a 3rd level RPO, maybe they get it.

4. Last but not least- IT’S PI. The name has already been decided on. Some compadre that will flop just as the previous one did. Too many hands in the cookie jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    Exactly. And trying to change what is for all intents and purposes, a culture of ground and pound that has been there for generations, IMO, is arrogant and irresponsible.

Coaches can't make the mistake that just because it's Port Isabel, anything can work there. If a coach wants to come in and try passing the ball, that coach is going to have to be ok with ground & pound ball for at least 4-5 years while developing a passing game slowly over time. Still, PI's greatest strength will always and forever be the power running game. It's simply a way of life at PI that outsiders simply cannot understand.
    I get that 3 yards per play works for PI but maybe if they weren’t so one dimensional they’d have more success. But if PI fans are okay with a bunch of 10-2 11-1 seasons that never amount to much that’s fine too.

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by christofire View Post
    I get that 3 yards per play works for PI but maybe if they weren’t so one dimensional they’d have more success. But if PI fans are okay with a bunch of 10-2 11-1 seasons that never amount to much that’s fine too.
    I get that PI was one dimensional, I really do.

I did say a passing game should be developed slowly over time and eventually implemented along with a ground & pound. That ground & pound has always been PI's biggest strength for as long as I can remember and lack of a passing game always it's greatest weakness. On the extremely rare occasions PI has a QB that can throw and a WR that can catch, those teams have been exceptional. Gabe Villarreal from the 1994 team, and Lando Ochoa from the 2004 team. Both exceptional QBs. Both passed for over 1000 yards under ground & pound coaches Tony Villarreal and Monty Stumbaugh respectively.

But still, many still believe PI's best QB of all-time was Donald Guillot. He was an option running QB, not a thrower.
    Last edited by Tarpons1994; 05-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Thread Information