Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    It won't be too hard to get the PI kids to believe. Getting the administration and the community to believe is going to be the hardest part, IMO.
    The administration and community will start to believe once the team starts winning. It won't happen right away, sadly, because let's face it, JI left a huge mess behind at PI. But I do believe this year's team will be about improvement, with the following season hopefully ready to make a run.

@ NFC - I'm not sure what it is you saw on MaxPreps, but from what I heard, Isaiah Johnson was injured and out for several of their games. That may be why you only saw stats for 4 games? Or am I way off on what you were describing?

If you are interested in that kind of thing...Coach Strunk did a weekly blog for HSFB America....you can get some insight into his style, poersonality etc..

http://highschoolfootballamerica.com...he-turnaround/

Hall of Famer

My Social Networking

Follow 22TX On Twitter Add 22TX on Facebook
    Visit 22TX's Youtube Channel

Matt gave insight on his struggles at Lubbock and everyone needs to truly understand the uphill battle he was facing. Given the situation he was in, I don't know if anyone else could have done better. As my best friend says "he was like a one-legged man in an a$$ kicking contest" when it came to coaching at Lubbock.

Strunk was the #2 guy at OG when Pugh was hired, #2 at Goliad, #2 at Sweetwater (the year after their title appearance), #2 at Cameron Yoe, Top 5 at Beeville when they hired Bomar (I believe he may have been #2 there as well) and if anyone from Los Fresnos has inside info, he was considered for that job after Finley left. IMO, those schools couldn't get past his record when it came time to pull the trigger. Beeville being the exception because I would have taken Bomar too. He was #1 at Pearsall this year and when the time came, the board went against the recommendation of the committee. He was offered a HC job in El Paso last year but turned it down and another in the panhandle following his resignation this year but turned it down also. He wantedbto be in South Texas but we'll get to that shortly.

I spokeb with someone who was on the committee at Goliad when Nicholson was hired and he said Strunk was the best candidate. He said the passion that he spoke with, his ideas, morals and overall goals for the program were exactly what they needes and said they wanted. Those things also came bsck to bite him because he scared people. He outlined his S&C program and nutrition ideas that he brought from his college background and they were unsure about how that would work. I was told "that's the guy I wanted leading my son and daughter, my family, friends and this program. But he scared some people. His philosophies were high-lebel8and not everyone bought into it" and that's why he wasn't hired.

Now we come back to him wanting to coach in South Texas. Three Rivers came open last year and he set his sights on that one. I passed his name to some people I knew to give them a heads up. Strunk drove down to TR on his own to ajow how serious he was about the job. He toured the facilities and even met with the Supe. A week later, the interviews were set and he wasn't one of them. A guy who was #2 for better jobs than TR couldn't even get into the top 8. Talk about crazy.

We brought him to coach QBs for us at the Summer Showdown in McAllen last July. He drove around the RGV and it only solidified his desire to be somewhere in South Texas. He loved the atmosphere and work ethic kids had at camp.

Strunk will work hard. Mac will work hard. He's not some coaches kid who is lazy. We saw that first hand last summer. He'll bring a jolt of energy to the program and rhe community. You've just gotta remember that he's from the northeast. He's a Yankees fan and as passionate as he is about them, he's ona different level when it comes coaching.

When he left Lubbock, Twitter was flooded with posts. Kids who didn't even play for hin talking about how they were fonna miss him. Players, managers, media and fellow coaches wishing him well and sharing stories about how he helped them. PI isn't just getting an AD/HC, they're getting a guy who will give everything to the kids and community. Enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by 22TX; 06-07-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    The poster formerly known as TX22!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    @ NFC - I'm not sure what it is you saw on MaxPreps, but from what I heard, Isaiah Johnson was injured and out for several of their games. That may be why you only saw stats for 4 games? Or am I way off on what you were describing?
    http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...l-17/stats.htm shows stats only for upto 4 games

They only had 1 game shown for 2016. PI has a good history of providing game stats and hope that continues.
    ...no me hagas caso, estoy safado. Lol.

Retired Super Moderator

Can someone post the schedule for this coming season? I want to plan ahead and be there for a couple games.

Super Moderator

My Social Networking

Follow FootballGal On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    Can someone post the schedule for this coming season? I want to plan ahead and be there for a couple games.
    http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/sched...8-0b7a3827e17c

Date Time
    • 8/31 7:30p Porter
    • 9/7 7:30p @Valley View
    • 9/14 7:30p Hidalgo
    • 9/21 7:30p @La Feria
    • 9/28 7:30p @St. Joseph Academy
    • 10/5 7:30p Grulla
    • 10/12 OPEN
    • 10/19 7:30p @Progreso ~
    • 10/26 7:30p @Raymondville ~
    • 11/2 7:30p Rio Hondo ~

~ District Game
    Last edited by FootballGal; 06-07-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdog View Post
    Go Tarpons

Super Moderator

My Social Networking

20180620_155332.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go Tarpons

Retired Football Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FootballGal View Post
    Is it football season yet??
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Super Moderator

My Social Networking

Is it football season yet??
    I know right?!
    Go Tarpons

Immortal

I know port Isabela fans and dwatt from weslaco might she'd a tear for this one

http://rgvsports.com/news/82458/vill...-hall-of-fame/

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

Wow..... as per Matt Stepp

Per the UIL SEC meeting today:
    Former Port Isabel High School head football coach Jaime Infante was placed on three years probation, one year suspension, and issued a public reprimand #txhsfb

Heisman Winner

Disaster year for former coach is an understatement. At least the team didn't face consequences. Moral is high at PI with new coach from watching the Stepp interview. They seem to put last year behind.

Premium

[QUOTE=lmoya;882544]Wow..... as per Matt Stepp

Former Port Isabel High School head football coach Jaime Infante was placed on three years probation, one year suspension, and issued a public reprimand #txhsfb[/

End of his career
    Makes you want to think what happened in lyford
    Disaster

[QUOTE=Rang66;882555]
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post

Former Port Isabel High School head football coach Jaime Infante was placed on three years probation, one year suspension, and issued a public reprimand #txhsfb[/

End of his career
    Makes you want to think what happened in lyford
    Disaster
    This happened to the ad of the year, he had to to been on the bubble. Its in the past! Im really looking foward to 8-31, lets go blue! Ps dot forget your chocolate milk!

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post

Former Port Isabel High School head football coach Jaime Infante was placed on three years probation, one year suspension, and issued a public reprimand #txhsfb
    I have a question. What did Infants do. I was not aware of what he did.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Retired Football Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    I have a question. What did Infants do. I was not aware of what he did.
    Holding QB practices outside of UIL allowed off-season workouts.

Similar to what Solis did at EE.....breaking rules.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Immortal

Holding QB practices outside of UIL allowed off-season workouts.

Similar to what Solis did at EE.....breaking rules.
    So he got turn in for what every school does.
    Last edited by lmka; 08-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

Do he did what every school does but got turn in.
    Come on, LMKA, clean it up before posting.

Tell me more about every school doing this...

Retired Football Guru

So he got turn in for what every school does.
    Your statement isn't very accurate. Some do break rules,but not all is more accurate.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Super Moderator

My Social Networking

Tarpons got some size this year.
    IMG_20180809_001455.jpg
    Go Tarpons

Thread Information