Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    All Star

Sarcasm- the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Junior Varsity

Yes Crazy5. When the stats were posted, it seems u were making a point in a sarcastic tone. Word I got was he was gonna show these Texans what real football is. So the Texans commenced to whipping his tail.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by crazy5 View Post
    Sarcasm- the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    it is what it is brother man.....it can't get any worse then Infante so it's worth a shot and everyone I've spoken to today is exited once again for PI football
    Don't look now but the Texans may have found a QB

Junior Varsity

I’m glad excitement is back. But don’t be fooled, it can get worse. Much worse.

Junior Varsity

Yes Crazy5. When the stats were posted, it seems u were making a point in a sarcastic tone. Word I got was he was gonna show these Texans what real football is. So the Texans commenced to whipping his tail.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RGVFBguy View Post
    I’m glad excitement is back. But don’t be fooled, it can get worse. Much worse.
    Ahhhhhhh no.....it can't and you won't understand that unless you're from PI
    Don't look now but the Texans may have found a QB

Junior Varsity

I hope ur right Osprey. But 0-10 is worse than 2-7. Not saying it will happen. I truly hope it doesn’t. But this played out just how expected.

Retired Football Guru

Best wishes to PI.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Hopefully we can bring back classic version tarpon 🏈, the excitement of friday night lights!

Platinum

Jason Strunk runs a version of the Wing T, the exact same Offense Auburn runs... Just watch, he's a good coach... He'll play to PI's strengths..

Lubbock High is one of the state's toughest jobs....think of having the numbers of a school like Lyford having to play in 5A Division I...that's what Lubbock High is...Lubbock High is mostly a magnet school...they have a very small attendance zone so the vast majority of kids who attend LHS dont play sports...which is why the school has struggled since the 1970s.....

Strunk is exactly what PI needs, his teams are sound and well coached, he's going to bring excitement and energy and some fresh ideas for sure....he's well thought of as he was quickly hired as the offensive coordinator at New Braunfels Canyon after leaving Lubbock....he is super excited to be in Port Isabel.....

And one other thing..he's got a kid who can play as well and that tends to help also..he ran a 22.77 in the 200 as a sophomore and started at Lubbock High as a sophomore...so thats an extra bonus for the Tarpons

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post
    Lubbock High is one of the state's toughest jobs....think of having the numbers of a school like Lyford having to play in 5A Division I...that's what Lubbock High is...Lubbock High is mostly a magnet school...they have a very small attendance zone so the vast majority of kids who attend LHS dont play sports...which is why the school has struggled since the 1970s.....

Strunk is exactly what PI needs, his teams are sound and well coached, he's going to bring excitement and energy and some fresh ideas for sure....he's well thought of as he was quickly hired as the offensive coordinator at New Braunfels Canyon after leaving Lubbock....he is super excited to be in Port Isabel.....

And one other thing..he's got a kid who can play as well and that tends to help also..he ran a 22.77 in the 200 as a sophomore and started at Lubbock High as a sophomore...so thats an extra bonus for the Tarpons
    Thanks for the insight Mathew328, looking forward to what the 2018 Tarpon Edition will bring.
    Last edited by FootballGal; 06-05-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdog View Post
    Go Tarpons

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew328 View Post

Yup... If anyone is gonna get the Tarpons back on track its Strunk... I think it's gonna take him a year though... Mac Strunk is a heck of an athlete too... Kid can fly, I think he ran 11.36 last season FAT 100m.
    Last edited by RGVTrouble; 06-05-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Super Moderator

Former Lubbock coach Strunk takes over at Port Isabel

Jun 05, 2018 9:00 PM

By ANDREW CRUM | THE BROWNSVILLE HERALD

The coaching vacancy at Port Isabel wasn’t open very long once again.

The Port Isabel Independent School District issued a press release Tuesday to announce that it had hired a new athletic director/head football coach, Jason Strunk.

According to the press release, Strunk began his coaching career as an assistant in 1996 in Pennsylvania with three years at Nazareth and six more at Northampton before making the jump to the collegiate level as a linebackers coach at Muhlenberg College before coming a head coach at a college in Plant City, Florida.

Most recently, after a yearlong stint at Purdue University as the offensive quality control and assistant offensive line coach in 2010, Strunk returned to the high school sidelines in 2011 where he held the head football coaching position at Lubbock High School. Strunk led Lubbock to a playoff berth in his second season, the school’s first since 1975, but had an 11-60 overall record during his tenure.

Now Strunk will take over the program that Jaime Infante left when he resigned last month after just one season. Infante had a disappointing 2-7 season that had many growing pains throughout, including a transition to a new offensive system and injuries to at least three quarterbacks and other key players, but the Tarpons still nearly made the postseason.

A loss in their district finale ended the frustrating season and six months later, Infante turned in his notice. He’ll complete his contract that ends at the end of June.

Infante took over for Monty Stumbaugh, who wasn’t retained at the end of his contract two years ago despite the success he brought to the field with numerous district titles and nearly a playoff berth every season in 15 years at the helm.

Strunk will certainly have his work cut out for himself after becoming the third coach in the last three years for Port Isabel. After another change at the top, the Tarpons will surely experience changes with coordinators and other coaches in the next few months as they seek a playoff berth for the first time since 2016.

Andrew Crum covers sports for The Brownsville Herald. You can reach him at (956) 982-6629 or via email at acrum@brownsvilleherald.com. On Twitter he’s @andrewmcrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdog View Post
    Go Tarpons

Junior Varsity

Trouble- I hope things go well. As far as his offense being Auburn style, I’m not sure. However, I give you credit for knowing it is wing-T based. Very few people know this. The biggest difference is the RPO game. Maybe he is what PI needs to get back to glory. However, I remember the same comments when JI was hired. Maybe not from you. But definitely from others. We will see if the queen gives him what he needs to be successful.

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

Strunk is a good coach, Matt Stepp gave y’all the issues Lubbock HS has and Strunk got those kids to believe.

Junior Varsity

Like I said, I hope it works out. The issues at PI stem far beyond the coach. Will he be given the latitude he needs to be successful? It started as a circus when they wanted to get Stump out and grew throughout the joke of a process to hire JI. Then, they screw it up again this time but just not having a clue how it’s done. I think the new guy probably is a good ball coach. Will the district leaders allow him to be?

Premium

Quote Originally Posted by RGVFBguy View Post
    Like I said, I hope it works out. The issues at PI stem far beyond the coach. Will he be given the latitude he needs to be successful? It started as a circus when they wanted to get Stump out and grew throughout the joke of a process to hire JI. Then, they screw it up again this time but just not having a clue how it’s done. I think the new guy probably is a good ball coach. Will the district leaders allow him to be?
    Central office needs a clean sweep
    And some board members that are making it a career and one that just has no spine

Retired Football Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post
    Strunk is a good coach, Matt Stepp gave y’all the issues Lubbock HS has and Strunk got those kids to believe.
    It won't be too hard to get the PI kids to believe. Getting the administration and the community to believe is going to be the hardest part, IMO.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Yup... If anyone is gonna get the Tarpons back on track its Strunk... I think it's gonna take him a year though... Mac Strunk is a heck of an athlete too... Kid can fly, I think he ran 11.36 last season FAT 100m.
    That would be a plus, even if its just for track. as he was quoted as saying in his last track meet "I really love track way more than football. Didn't find him on the Westerners roster, as it showed an Isaiah Johnson as their main RB (a soph too). But did only did post 4 games of stats (maxpreps)
    Last edited by Nfcfan; 06-06-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    ...no me hagas caso, estoy safado. Lol.

Thread Information