Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Junior Varsity

Now that JI is history. Who do ya'll think is the best available candidate to resurrect the program?
    Last edited by RipTide11; 05-25-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Junior Varsity

Default Who would you like to see get the job

Now that JI is history. Who do ya'll think is the best available candidate to resurrect the program? Do you think they stay in house and promote someone(WG)? Or, hire outside the Valley? Maybe hire an ex-Tarpon who knows what PI tradition is all about (Tinker, Ross, Johnny G). Or maybe Tony V comes out of retirement to get his 200th career win.

List your top 5 coaches you think are the best qualified and are willing to take on the task.

Quote Originally Posted by RipTide11 View Post
    Now that JI is history. Who do ya'll think is the best available candidate to resurrect the program? Do you think they stay in house and promote someone(WG)? Or, hire outside the Valley? Maybe hire an ex-Tarpon who knows what PI tradition is all about (Tinker, Ross, Johnny G). Or maybe Tony V comes out of retirement to get his 200th career win.

List your top 5 coaches you think are the best qualified and are willing to take on the task.
    Tony V. would be a good hire since I think most PI fans want the pound on the ground offense.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

Premium

I don't think it's a good idea for an ex alum
    To be a head coach in his home town
    Just my opinion
    We tried that already with Pena
    Don't think tony is retired

Premium

I don't think it's a good idea for an ex alum
    To be a head coach in his home town
    Just my opinion
    We tried that already with Pena
    Don't think tony is retired

Retired Super Moderator

Tony isn’t retired. He’s still doing his consulting at La Joya so he’s still active in terms of coaching.

I wouldn’t mind having Tony back, but if last year is any indication he probably doesn’t have much of a shot even if he does end up applying. There’s also the fact he would be coming into a pretty big mess very late. To my knowledge, I don’t think he’s ever had to come into a new coaching situation after the school year is over, which will be brand new territory for him.

And I agree with Rang, PI in the past has tried going with the “hiring an alumni” route with Gabe Pena, and it blew up in our faces instead.

One other good option is to bring in a coach from up north that has little to no ties to the RGV. PI folks would have no choice but to give that man, whoever it is, a chance to right the ship. In other words, no “compadre system” involved.

Has at least an interim HC been appointed at PI? At this late stage, it's important to at least have a Uber driver holding on to the wheel to at least minimize the impact. Like someone said, the applicant pool may be sparse to none given the particulars at PI at this late date. One can't help but feel a sense of despair for their student athletes.

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow SintonFan_inAustin On Twitter
    Visit SintonFan_inAustin's Youtube Channel

There is a coach out there, ex Ingleside coach, Graig Hesseltine. Hasn't coach since 2016 and not sure why he still not back in football. He did look into a assistant position in Sinton where he's orginally from in 2016.
    Last edited by SintonFan_inAustin; 05-26-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Night Lights View Post
    Has at least an interim HC been appointed at PI? At this late stage, it's important to at least have a Uber driver holding on to the wheel to at least minimize the impact. Like someone said, the applicant pool may be sparse to none given the particulars at PI at this late date. One can't help but feel a sense of despair for their student athletes.
    Haven’t heard anything with regard to an interim HC yet. It’s pointless now because the school year has ended and the kids are now on Summer break. However, I’m sure a coach on the staff was left in charge of running things between the time JI resigned and the end of the school year. Who that coach was, though, I don’t know.

@SFiA - Isn’t that the coach who ran Slot-T at Ingleside and wasn’t able to do well there with it?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphss434 View Post
    Dan Gomez to PI....calm before the storm

Heard there is 30+ applicants wiith 2 PI assistants applying as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    ...no me hagas caso, estoy safado. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nfcfan View Post

Deadline to apply for PI HC gig is Monday (tomorrow) so get your applications in pronto!

V A C A N C Y
    Athletic Director/Head Football Coach
    PRIMARY PURPOSE:
    Direct and manage the overall program of extracurricular and intramural athletics for the district. Work to provide each student with opportunity to participate in an extracurricular athletic activity and ensure compliance with all state, University Interscholastic League (UIL), and local requirements.
    QUALIFICATION:
    Education/Certification:
    Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
    Valid Texas teaching Certificate with physical education endorsement preferred
    Special Knowledge/Skills:
    Knowledge of overall operations of an athletic program
    Knowledge of state and UIL policies governing athletics
    Ability to interpret policy, procedures, and data
    Ability to manage budget, personnel and coordinate district athletic functions
    Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
    Experience:
    Five years of successful teaching and coaching experience
    COMPENSATION: Based on school district administrative pay schedule.
    DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 28, 2018
    Apply on-line at www-pi-isd.net.
    If you have any questions in reference to the application process, please call 956-943-0005.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Nfcfan View Post

Yeah those were Some Pena guy and coach Joe Gonzales
    Don't look now but the Texans may have found a QB

Can someone explain to me how one bad year (new coach, system) has PI in a “big mess”?

If PI brings in a coach who has similar philosophies to Stump, things should be cleaned up pretty quick, right?

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post
    Can someone explain to me how one bad year (new coach, system) has PI in a “big mess”?

If PI brings in a coach who has similar philosophies to Stump, things should be cleaned up pretty quick, right?
    Big mess = Very late coaching change + possible incoming UIL sanctions on the program.

Premium

[QUOTE=cardinal85;880823]Can someone explain to me how one bad year (new coach, system) has PI in a “big mess”?

If PI brings in a coach who has similar philosophies to Stump, things should be cleaned up pretty quick,

When you do shady hires that's what happens

Legend

My Social Networking

Follow SintonFan_inAustin On Twitter
    Visit SintonFan_inAustin's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    Haven’t heard anything with regard to an interim HC yet. It’s pointless now because the school year has ended and the kids are now on Summer break. However, I’m sure a coach on the staff was left in charge of running things between the time JI resigned and the end of the school year. Who that coach was, though, I don’t know.

@SFiA - Isn’t that the coach who ran Slot-T at Ingleside and wasn’t able to do well there with it?
    His offense was a balance attack using backs a lot on quick screens. Turn Ingleside into playoff team each year with one or two state semi trips. Think his last season they went different direction with slot t with him not having control of offense. read up some he's in Beeville as a teacher and his two sons go to Refugio one a sophomore and other in Jr high.

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SintonFan_inAustin View Post
    His offense was a balance attack using backs a lot on quick screens. Turn Ingleside into playoff team each year with one or two state semi trips. Think his last season they went different direction with slot t with him not having control of offense. read up some he's in Beeville as a teacher and his two sons go to Refugio one a sophomore and other in Jr high.
    He's done with coaching from the sound of it at least. Especially if he's willing to send his sons to Refugio to play there instead of where he works at in Beeville.

Hall of Famer

Coach Finley is available....he loves to run the ball. I beleive he played against PI while at Cuero.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by falcon89 View Post
    Coach Finley is available....he loves to run the ball. I beleive he played against PI while at Cuero.
    To my knowledge, I don't think he applied.

Junior Varsity

Well, who made the interview list?

Thread Information