Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Hey peeps ...I wanted to wish EVERYONE A Merry Christmas and that the new year brings all of us more blessings ,health, prosperity but most of all another state champion for new coming year
    Please no texting and driving and absolutely no drinking and driving !!!For a better year in the playoffs for all RGV schools

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by 22TX View Post
    Watching the seconds tick off the clock Wednesday night, I was disappointed. No way I thought we'd be held scoreless for almost 3 quarters after the the first two drives. It was shocking the way pur defense gabe up three 3rd down conversions in the 2nd quarter on thw game tying drive.

Following the game I went down on the field and spoke to Jamel LaFond. He talked about how they missed their chances and didn't take advantage of opportunities. Armonie Brown sat as his locker and told me how hurt and disappointed he was. Cippi Solis spoke of how the trip home would feel longer than last year and how he wanted to bring back-to-back titles home.

A few other kids I spoke to had the same feelings. Another feeling in the locker room was how they let everyone down ny not winning. One player said "The town could have used this and we let it slip away. We needed to win this one". That comment and others got me to thinking about how I should really feel about this season. A five hour drive home by myself also gave me plenty of time to think about what I was gping9to write on here.

Every media outlet who's covered Refugio talked about the hurricane and it's aftermath. They talked about football being an outlet for the players and community because it's a common love of all. These kids carried that weight on their shoulders. The coaches did too. Football was a distraction from reality.

For three hours every Friday night, some Thursdays and a Wednesday, Hurricane Harvey was put in the back of people's minds. The priority was football. It was a way to escape amd the players knew this. They took it upon themselves to pull the community together and give everyone something to cheer about.

Armonie, Jamel, Cippi and a number of others players have been to our camps over the last few years. These kids carried the community on their backs for four months. They felt it was up to them to ensure the community had a football game they could look forward to each week. They did that.

Some of these kids lost their homes. Others are still living in hotels. Then there are families who are living apart because they're rebuilding while some people have moved away. It's been a tough fall but it's had some good moments too.

That brings me to my feeling about this season.....I'm proud. I'm proud of what this team accomplished. I'm proud of how the community came together during this disaster and to see so many of us who moved on come back and lend a helping hand. I'm proud to be from Texas and be a part of TXHSFB. There's not another place that compared tp this or the feeling of communities coming together for each other. I've seen the true hearts of people this year when they reached out to help people in need.

To anyone on here thay donated, prayed or did anything to help during this disaster, thank you! No doubt the communities of Refugio, Woodsboro, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Goliad, Bictoria and every other community in between are appreciative.
    Hats off to the Refugio team, and no shame finishing runner-up. Congrats.

Disappointment for me...

Eh, I'll take Shrayland going 9-3, Winning a Share of the DC and being Bi- District champs, as a satisfaction. Due to the fact that they started off the season with a 62-0 Loss, every play and every game they had to prove that the loss was a fluke. A Second rd 3 OT loss by 3 pts ill also take that as satisfactory to the football team. One of the few losses from Shary that is acceptable. 2018 Will be A LOT Better for this upcoming Senior class, which made up for 14/22 starters. Great group of guys. and Merry Christmas to EVERYONE!
    Last edited by Jesus12399; 12-25-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus12399 View Post
    Eh, I'll take Shrayland going 9-3, Winning a Share of the DC and being Bi- District champs, as a satisfaction. Due to the fact that they started off the season with a 62-0 Loss, every play and every game they had to prove that the loss was a fluke. A Second rd 3 OT loss by 3 pts ill also take that as satisfactory to the football team. One of the few losses from Shary that is acceptable. 2018 Will be A LOT Better for this upcoming Senior class, which made up for 14/22 starters. Great group of guys. and Merry Christmas to EVERYONE!
    The thriller game against Alice is a game to remember .But my question is ...Was Alice not at it's strongest compared what they are known to be? I think they had a new HC,young players etc.?
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Losing to WE was a fluke?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    Like really did we have higher expectations or simply not surprise with the outside North results? I personally have to say that RGV is still in hault and not no where to feel satisfied but yet again I always expect more, demand than just what we have given so far in general.
    What do you think?
    RGV football will be disappointment always. Dream on boys. If the state becomes 90% Hispanic, I will change my opinion. Don't let the facts cloud your pride.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    RGV football will be disappointment always. Dream on boys. If the state becomes 90% Hispanic, I will change my opinion. Don't let the facts cloud your pride.
    We need to eat more beans high on protein to get BSF

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post
    Losing to WE was a fluke?
    Lets see... Sharyland lost to WE 62-0 in WK1, I would be willing to bet they wouldn't have beaten us by 62pts had we played again later in the season... I can't wait to see who Sharyland schedules next season...

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    The thriller game against Alice is a game to remember .But my question is ...Was Alice not at it's strongest compared what they are known to be? I think they had a new HC,young players etc.?
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Alice was pretty legit, they had awesome skill kids... 6'2 205lb WR that was faster than just about anyone in the RGV, their DBs looked like RGV LBs, yeah I was thoroughly impressed with their kids... I do believe Shary wins had our starting QB not gotten injured in the 3rd QB... We went to 3 OTs with a back up who was on the JV team just two weeks prior...

Platinum

I wouldn't say I am "satisfied" with this season, but we did certainly exceed everyone's expectations for this group of seniors... I think we could've and should've beaten Alice with Edgar, but he got pulled toward the end of the 3rd round and Oscar just wasn't the same threat Edgar was... I think the expectations will be HUGE in 2018... I think Shary would be favored to win the District and make a run in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Lets see... Sharyland lost to WE 62-0 in WK1, I would be willing to bet they wouldn't have beaten us by 62pts had we played again later in the season... I can't wait to see who Sharyland schedules next season...
    I agree, but had they played again week 11 and minus the WE injuries, what would the score be?

Heisman Winner

No Fluke in week 1. It was what it was. Shary Offense improved very much by week 10 but Defense continued to surrender big points thoughout season. 56 to Pioneer, 49 to Nixon , 48 to vets, 43 to Pace. I say East beats Shary in week 11 but by a lesser margin.

Going through their roster I counted around twenty-one or so Hispanic last names.

Of course, this method is poor, but it's all we can go off.
    Yep, but were they the starters or just guys on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog21 View Post
    Yep, but were they the starters or just guys on the bench?
    No idea, but I'm sure some of them started.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    No Fluke in week 1. It was what it was. Shary Offense improved very much by week 10 but Defense continued to surrender big points thoughout season. 56 to Pioneer, 49 to Nixon , 48 to vets, 43 to Pace. I say East beats Shary in week 11 but by a lesser margin.
    Football is a game of match ups... Pioneer, Nixon and Vets are totally different from the style of Offense WE runs... Pace is a bad example, we were playing JV kids in the 2nd half... Shary played WE without their best players, Blake and QB Edgar Longoria who accounted for 32TDs, I actually think the game is a toss up in WK11 and Shary would win in WK 9 without their studs... The best talent we saw all season was Alice, they were physically imposing at the skills positions, their DL and OLs weren't the best I had seen, WE deserves that honor, but they were up there...

Platinum

I agree, but had they played again week 11 and minus the WE injuries, what would the score be?
    With Edgar Longoria and Blake Klein in the game... Toss up... I firmly believe that... Edgar is back next season too.... You might remember him from the last scrimmage with Shary and Harlingen, he was the back up QB who went on that 75yrd TD run vs your Cards... He's good, great runner, even better passer... Did I mention he's back??? He is

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    With Edgar Longoria and Blake Klein in the game... Toss up... I firmly believe that... Edgar is back next season too.... You might remember him from the last scrimmage with Shary and Harlingen, he was the back up QB who went on that 75yrd TD run vs your Cards... He's good, great runner, even better passer... Did I mention he's back??? He is
    Wow, two offensive players and 62-0 game turns into a toss up!

Yes, I understand that better offensive production can help the defense in several ways, but geez, Sharyland's defense wasn't very good even when those two were playing.

Thread Information