Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 193
  1. #121
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Well said. Against SB Memorial had 1st and goal at the 4 and ran 4 times up the middle and failed to score. Camp ran behind RT on 4th. That's ridiculous, Camp could have scored on first down on a pitch. Terrible play calling . Skaugen had nearly 200 yards rushing in that game on outside runs but they tried to sneak him up the middle as well. 85 doesn't attend Memorial games or he would side on our opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Because they don't run a very good defensive scheme! I remember a few years ago, they had a CB named Ozzy Salazar, kid was great at all the camps, he could really get after it, in the games he was good too when he was in man, but he couldn't do it all... His efforts were often for not because the rest of the D wasn't all that great...

    This season I think Memorial had the top talent, before Almaguer got hurt, they were legitimate threat to pass... When they lost him vs Pioneer they had to use that Skaugen 6'2 185 boy who otherwise would have been a WR/TE, he would have been one of the top WRs in the RGV if he played anywhere there was a passing game, but he didn't... He wound up as a QB tossing the ball and lead blocking for Speights and Keliche, when they did throw the ball they had that kid Josh Sanchez 6'4 185lb WR/TE (brother of Rice TE) and Ethan Bazan who again, would have likely been a top RGV WR he did averagie 20yards a reception at Memorial, both of those boys would have started at any RGV program... And those are just a couple of kids... Last time I checked, those kids gave San Benito hell in the playoffs, even with their TE playing QB and their TERRIBLE coaching...

  2. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Because they don't run a very good defensive scheme! I remember a few years ago, they had a CB named Ozzy Salazar, kid was great at all the camps, he could really get after it, in the games he was good too when he was in man, but he couldn't do it all... His efforts were often for not because the rest of the D wasn't all that great...

    This season I think Memorial had the top talent, before Almaguer got hurt, they were legitimate threat to pass... When they lost him vs Pioneer they had to use that Skaugen 6'2 185 boy who otherwise would have been a WR/TE, he would have been one of the top WRs in the RGV if he played anywhere there was a passing game, but he didn't... He wound up as a QB tossing the ball and lead blocking for Speights and Keliche, when they did throw the ball they had that kid Josh Sanchez 6'4 185lb WR/TE (brother of Rice TE) and Ethan Bazan who again, would have likely been a top RGV WR he did averagie 20yards a reception at Memorial, both of those boys would have started at any RGV program... And those are just a couple of kids... Last time I checked, those kids gave San Benito hell in the playoffs, even with their TE playing QB and their TERRIBLE coaching...
    So Memorial has a bunch of word beaters but the coaching is so horrific they underachieve?

    So one good kid on defense with better coaching will result in a very good Memorial defense? Just like two good kids on offense with a better scheme equates to Valley domination and fourth round apparences?

    I truly get that schemes/coaching could be a lot better, but this idea of domination based on a very, very small population of kids is far fetched. It's like you guys are forgetting that football is a team sport. For example, what about the lines, the OL and DL? Average from what I've seen.


    Notice how the majority of the dialogue is revolving around the offense? I agree that having a better scheme could arguable produce better offensive results, but these two or three players, depending on their positions, can only do so much.

  3. #123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    Well said. Against SB Memorial had 1st and goal at the 4 and ran 4 times up the middle and failed to score. Camp ran behind RT on 4th. That's ridiculous, Camp could have scored on first down on a pitch. Terrible play calling . Skaugen had nearly 200 yards rushing in that game on outside runs but they tried to sneak him up the middle as well. 85 doesn't attend Memorial games or he would side on our opinion.
    I have seen the Cardinals coaches do the same thing, big time fail time after time so I guess they are not any better than the Memorial coaching staff.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

  4. #124
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    two steps ahead of you
    Posts
    15,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post
    So Memorial has a bunch of word beaters but the coaching is so horrific they underachieve?

    So one good kid on defense with better coaching will result in a very good Memorial defense? Just like two good kids on offense with a better scheme equates to Valley domination and fourth round apparences?

    I truly get that schemes/coaching could be a lot better, but this idea of domination based on a very, very small population of kids is far fetched. It's like you guys are forgetting that football is a team sport. For example, what about the lines, the OL and DL? Average from what I've seen.


    Notice how the majority of the dialogue is revolving around the offense? I agree that having a better scheme could arguable produce better offensive results, but these two or three players, depending on their positions, can only do so much.
    In a word... YES! If you put in a better Offensive scheme, I truly believe they would be unstoppable and they absolutely do have the horses on Defense as well... C'mon Card85, when do you know me to be a Memorial fan?!?! In all honesty, I hate how all the good talent in McAllen tends to magically end up at Memorial to run block... It makes me sick, but it is what it is... They have the best talent bar none... I named a "hand full" of kids because thats what I know about them, I went to see them play 3 times last season and left shaking my head each time at the utter waste of talent I witnessed...

  5. #125
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    HARLINGEN
    Posts
    4,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    In a word... YES! If you put in a better Offensive scheme, I truly believe they would be unstoppable and they absolutely do have the horses on Defense as well... C'mon Card85, when do you know me to be a Memorial fan?!?! In all honesty, I hate how all the good talent in McAllen tends to magically end up at Memorial to run block... It makes me sick, but it is what it is... They have the best talent bar none... I named a "hand full" of kids because thats what I know about them, I went to see them play 3 times last season and left shaking my head each time at the utter waste of talent I witnessed...
    Can you image Gilbert leal's offense with McAllen memorial
    "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to DIE". - Inigo Montoya

  6. #126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    In a word... YES! If you put in a better Offensive scheme, I truly believe they would be unstoppable and they absolutely do have the horses on Defense as well... C'mon Card85, when do you know me to be a Memorial fan?!?! In all honesty, I hate how all the good talent in McAllen tends to magically end up at Memorial to run block... It makes me sick, but it is what it is... They have the best talent bar none... I named a "hand full" of kids because thats what I know about them, I went to see them play 3 times last season and left shaking my head each time at the utter waste of talent I witnessed...
    I hear you and all, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

  7. #127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craftysouthpaw View Post
    Can you image Gilbert leal's offense with McAllen memorial
    How about his stint at Mercedes and Harlingen South ?
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

  8. #128
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,005

    My Social Networking

    Follow 22TX On Twitter Add 22TX on Facebook
    Visit 22TX's Youtube Channel

    Default

    After tonight, we've got 1 more game and I'll let everyone know if I'm satisfied or disappointed with our season. If you're not busy next Wednesday, tune into Fox Sports Southwest at 7:00pm and hopefully we bring a title back to South Texas.
    The poster formerly known as TX22!

  9. #129
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 22TX View Post
    After tonight, we've got 1 more game and I'll let everyone know if I'm satisfied or disappointed with our season. If you're not busy next Wednesday, tune into Fox Sports Southwest at 7:00pm and hopefully we bring a title back to South Texas.
    Good luck to Refugio bring back that trophy, also pulling for Balmorhea in 6-man. Worked at both towns once.

  10. #130
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Very, very disappointed!

  11. #131

  12. #132

    Default

    Puro drama aqui

  13. #133

    Default

    That is your middle name.

  14. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post
    That is your middle name.
    So your craving for attention once again?

  15. #135

    Default

    Hate the holidays ...Too much this and that Can't wait for it to be over with.

  16. #136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    So your craving for attention once again?
    You made that first post, not me.

  17. #137
    Retired Football Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craftysouthpaw View Post
    Can you image Gilbert leal's offense with McAllen memorial
    Well, I think he deserves a shot again somewhere. He's paid his dues after his departure from South.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!


  18. #138
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,005

    My Social Networking

    Follow 22TX On Twitter Add 22TX on Facebook
    Visit 22TX's Youtube Channel

    Default

    Watching the seconds tick off the clock Wednesday night, I was disappointed. No way I thought we'd be held scoreless for almost 3 quarters after the the first two drives. It was shocking the way pur defense gabe up three 3rd down conversions in the 2nd quarter on thw game tying drive.

    Following the game I went down on the field and spoke to Jamel LaFond. He talked about how they missed their chances and didn't take advantage of opportunities. Armonie Brown sat as his locker and told me how hurt and disappointed he was. Cippi Solis spoke of how the trip home would feel longer than last year and how he wanted to bring back-to-back titles home.

    A few other kids I spoke to had the same feelings. Another feeling in the locker room was how they let everyone down ny not winning. One player said "The town could have used this and we let it slip away. We needed to win this one". That comment and others got me to thinking about how I should really feel about this season. A five hour drive home by myself also gave me plenty of time to think about what I was gping9to write on here.

    Every media outlet who's covered Refugio talked about the hurricane and it's aftermath. They talked about football being an outlet for the players and community because it's a common love of all. These kids carried that weight on their shoulders. The coaches did too. Football was a distraction from reality.

    For three hours every Friday night, some Thursdays and a Wednesday, Hurricane Harvey was put in the back of people's minds. The priority was football. It was a way to escape amd the players knew this. They took it upon themselves to pull the community together and give everyone something to cheer about.

    Armonie, Jamel, Cippi and a number of others players have been to our camps over the last few years. These kids carried the community on their backs for four months. They felt it was up to them to ensure the community had a football game they could look forward to each week. They did that.

    Some of these kids lost their homes. Others are still living in hotels. Then there are families who are living apart because they're rebuilding while some people have moved away. It's been a tough fall but it's had some good moments too.

    That brings me to my feeling about this season.....I'm proud. I'm proud of what this team accomplished. I'm proud of how the community came together during this disaster and to see so many of us who moved on come back and lend a helping hand. I'm proud to be from Texas and be a part of TXHSFB. There's not another place that compared tp this or the feeling of communities coming together for each other. I've seen the true hearts of people this year when they reached out to help people in need.

    To anyone on here thay donated, prayed or did anything to help during this disaster, thank you! No doubt the communities of Refugio, Woodsboro, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Goliad, Bictoria and every other community in between are appreciative.
    The poster formerly known as TX22!

  19. #139
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8,617

    My Social Networking

    Follow lmoya On Twitter Add lmoya on Facebook
    Visit lmoya's Youtube Channel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 22TX View Post
    Watching the seconds tick off the clock Wednesday night, I was disappointed. No way I thought we'd be held scoreless for almost 3 quarters after the the first two drives. It was shocking the way pur defense gabe up three 3rd down conversions in the 2nd quarter on thw game tying drive.

    Following the game I went down on the field and spoke to Jamel LaFond. He talked about how they missed their chances and didn't take advantage of opportunities. Armonie Brown sat as his locker and told me how hurt and disappointed he was. Cippi Solis spoke of how the trip home would feel longer than last year and how he wanted to bring back-to-back titles home.

    A few other kids I spoke to had the same feelings. Another feeling in the locker room was how they let everyone down ny not winning. One player said "The town could have used this and we let it slip away. We needed to win this one". That comment and others got me to thinking about how I should really feel about this season. A five hour drive home by myself also gave me plenty of time to think about what I was gping9to write on here.

    Every media outlet who's covered Refugio talked about the hurricane and it's aftermath. They talked about football being an outlet for the players and community because it's a common love of all. These kids carried that weight on their shoulders. The coaches did too. Football was a distraction from reality.

    For three hours every Friday night, some Thursdays and a Wednesday, Hurricane Harvey was put in the back of people's minds. The priority was football. It was a way to escape amd the players knew this. They took it upon themselves to pull the community together and give everyone something to cheer about.

    Armonie, Jamel, Cippi and a number of others players have been to our camps over the last few years. These kids carried the community on their backs for four months. They felt it was up to them to ensure the community had a football game they could look forward to each week. They did that.

    Some of these kids lost their homes. Others are still living in hotels. Then there are families who are living apart because they're rebuilding while some people have moved away. It's been a tough fall but it's had some good moments too.

    That brings me to my feeling about this season.....I'm proud. I'm proud of what this team accomplished. I'm proud of how the community came together during this disaster and to see so many of us who moved on come back and lend a helping hand. I'm proud to be from Texas and be a part of TXHSFB. There's not another place that compared tp this or the feeling of communities coming together for each other. I've seen the true hearts of people this year when they reached out to help people in need.

    To anyone on here thay donated, prayed or did anything to help during this disaster, thank you! No doubt the communities of Refugio, Woodsboro, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Goliad, Bictoria and every other community in between are appreciative.

    Great season for Refugio!!!!

  20. #140
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Here, There
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 22TX View Post
    Watching the seconds tick off the clock Wednesday night, I was disappointed. No way I thought we'd be held scoreless for almost 3 quarters after the the first two drives. It was shocking the way pur defense gabe up three 3rd down conversions in the 2nd quarter on thw game tying drive.

    Following the game I went down on the field and spoke to Jamel LaFond. He talked about how they missed their chances and didn't take advantage of opportunities. Armonie Brown sat as his locker and told me how hurt and disappointed he was. Cippi Solis spoke of how the trip home would feel longer than last year and how he wanted to bring back-to-back titles home.

    A few other kids I spoke to had the same feelings. Another feeling in the locker room was how they let everyone down ny not winning. One player said "The town could have used this and we let it slip away. We needed to win this one". That comment and others got me to thinking about how I should really feel about this season. A five hour drive home by myself also gave me plenty of time to think about what I was gping9to write on here.

    Every media outlet who's covered Refugio talked about the hurricane and it's aftermath. They talked about football being an outlet for the players and community because it's a common love of all. These kids carried that weight on their shoulders. The coaches did too. Football was a distraction from reality.

    For three hours every Friday night, some Thursdays and a Wednesday, Hurricane Harvey was put in the back of people's minds. The priority was football. It was a way to escape amd the players knew this. They took it upon themselves to pull the community together and give everyone something to cheer about.

    Armonie, Jamel, Cippi and a number of others players have been to our camps over the last few years. These kids carried the community on their backs for four months. They felt it was up to them to ensure the community had a football game they could look forward to each week. They did that.

    Some of these kids lost their homes. Others are still living in hotels. Then there are families who are living apart because they're rebuilding while some people have moved away. It's been a tough fall but it's had some good moments too.

    That brings me to my feeling about this season.....I'm proud. I'm proud of what this team accomplished. I'm proud of how the community came together during this disaster and to see so many of us who moved on come back and lend a helping hand. I'm proud to be from Texas and be a part of TXHSFB. There's not another place that compared tp this or the feeling of communities coming together for each other. I've seen the true hearts of people this year when they reached out to help people in need.

    To anyone on here thay donated, prayed or did anything to help during this disaster, thank you! No doubt the communities of Refugio, Woodsboro, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Goliad, Bictoria and every other community in between are appreciative.
    CUTS.jpg

    Elijah, my family, BBQ team friends and I will be there in Refugio along with our church community for this event. Swing by to say hello if you're in town.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •