Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 193
  1. #1

    Default Dissapoitment or Satisfaction 2017 ?

    Like really did we have higher expectations or simply not surprise with the outside North results? I personally have to say that RGV is still in hault and not no where to feel satisfied but yet again I always expect more, demand than just what we have given so far in general.
    What do you think?

  2. #2

    Default

    Mostly disappointment but not surprised that RGV teams cannot seem to advance beyond the 3rd. round. Soft competition locally advances to soft competition from Laredo and then out. Maybe if the valley were allowed to field an all star team they could do well. What is the difference between RGV programs and the elite programs? Is it fair to expect more if we are not playing on a level and fair playing field.

  3. #3
    Heisman Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    582

    Default

    We have to come to the realization that getting past the 3rd round isn't something that is going to happen anytime soon or ever. I was at the Vela game, and I saw exactly what a state championship team looks like. It was not Vela. Size, speed and strength that is the difference. What kills the Valley is the overall lack of team speed. Yes we have a few kids that can run I am talking about overall team speed. When we can close that gap that's when the Valley will go further than 3 rounds deep.

  4. #4
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,717

    Default

    The playING tougher competition has never really panneed out to be true. It still comes down to bsf. Whether folks want to admit it or not. Playing these teams won't make u bigger or stronger or faster. Example is the laredo squads who actually are close to sa and get to schedule these sa schools year in and out and they are no closer to getting by the 3rd round than valley teams. These state champ caliber teams are where there at because of the talent and size of there squads. Plain and simple.

  5. #5
    Varsity
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Harlingen
    Posts
    75

    Default

    I've talked about this repeatedly. Harlingen's Gomez, schedules teams like Abeline and Reagan for two reasons. Number 1 is for the current starters/seniors to get a feel for what's coming. Number 2 is to make the Sophomores and Juniors see what they are up against so they can prepare for the inevitability of their turn. Our players, the Valley, will never be able to compete with the north teams with respect to height and overall speed. But our players can do everything they can to maximize their strength, their mass vs height, and enhance their speed through training. What comes natural to many of the players from up north can be recreated but it takes a lot of work, discipline, and commitment from our players during the off-season. No coaching staff is equipped or capable of getting their players ready to compete against that level of competition during a class period each day, two a days, or spring training. There is so much more to player's development that takes a year round initiative to hone in on the specific requirements that each player needs to be able to play at his peek. Not to mention, you have to factor in the depletion (muscle mass due to caloric deficit) of a player through a season of football. None of this is taken into account by any team down here because we put so much emphasis on what the coaching staff is doing versus what the players, on an individual basis, are not doing to prepare themselves on a yearly basis. The coaches from up north, like a Lake Travis, don't have to worry about that. Either through sheer natural talent or the amount of support a player has from home to develop his skill, those coaches only have to fine tune their teams at the beginning of each season. I read an article where Ryan Reza quoted Abraham Lincoln: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". Each Valley team, at a individual basis, does at best a bare minimum at preparing for the giants that await them in the 3rd and 4th round. Which is why we can't go further. Those teams that have been successful, and I speak of Harlingen, were extremely tight and held each other accountable in the off-season during their preparation. But teams like those are few and infrequent. I know our strength coach, Monty Woodall, discusses with the players what they need to do during the off-season, ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, to get bigger, stronger, and quicker. It goes in one hear and right out the other for about 97% of our players. I doubt that this is an isolated condition found only in the Harlingen Cardinal locker room and I have a strong suspicion that this is a common theme in each program down here. Until each player, or the majority of, comes to grips with the fact that, genetically, they can not naturally compete with those players to the north and that a three full year commitment is needed to become the best player they can be, our expectations of any team going past the 4th round is an illusion.

  6. #6
    Premium
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    RGV
    Posts
    7,555

    Default

    We need to quit spending so much money on football and use those funds to better our soccer and baseball/softball programs

    we are doing a disservice to those programs and WASTING money on futile efforts

  7. #7
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
    I've talked about this repeatedly. Harlingen's Gomez, schedules teams like Abeline and Reagan for two reasons. Number 1 is for the current starters/seniors to get a feel for what's coming. Number 2 is to make the Sophomores and Juniors see what they are up against so they can prepare for the inevitability of their turn. Our players, the Valley, will never be able to compete with the north teams with respect to height and overall speed. But our players can do everything they can to maximize their strength, their mass vs height, and enhance their speed through training. What comes natural to many of the players from up north can be recreated but it takes a lot of work, discipline, and commitment from our players during the off-season. No coaching staff is equipped or capable of getting their players ready to compete against that level of competition during a class period each day, two a days, or spring training. There is so much more to player's development that takes a year round initiative to hone in on the specific requirements that each player needs to be able to play at his peek. Not to mention, you have to factor in the depletion (muscle mass due to caloric deficit) of a player through a season of football. None of this is taken into account by any team down here because we put so much emphasis on what the coaching staff is doing versus what the players, on an individual basis, are not doing to prepare themselves on a yearly basis. The coaches from up north, like a Lake Travis, don't have to worry about that. Either through sheer natural talent or the amount of support a player has from home to develop his skill, those coaches only have to fine tune their teams at the beginning of each season. I read an article where Ryan Reza quoted Abraham Lincoln: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". Each Valley team, at a individual basis, does at best a bare minimum at preparing for the giants that await them in the 3rd and 4th round. Which is why we can't go further. Those teams that have been successful, and I speak of Harlingen, were extremely tight and held each other accountable in the off-season during their preparation. But teams like those are few and infrequent. I know our strength coach, Monty Woodall, discusses with the players what they need to do during the off-season, ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, to get bigger, stronger, and quicker. It goes in one hear and right out the other for about 97% of our players. I doubt that this is an isolated condition found only in the Harlingen Cardinal locker room and I have a strong suspicion that this is a common theme in each program down here. Until each player, or the majority of, comes to grips with the fact that, genetically, they can not naturally compete with those players to the north and that a three full year commitment is needed to become the best player they can be, our expectations of any team going past the 4th round is an illusion.
    How has that helped laredo schools who play san antonio squads year in and out since 2006 I belive? Laredo schools are in the same boat with the valley and they have access to the San antonio area non district schedule and as I mentioned there just as close as we are getting past the 3rd round

  8. #8
    Heisman Winner
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    Like really did we have higher expectations or simply not surprise with the outside North results? I personally have to say that RGV is still in hault and not no where to feel satisfied but yet again I always expect more, demand than just what we have given so far in general.
    What do you think?
    Question, those posters that dont follow the rules, how does one report them, can't find the link.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    Question, those posters that dont follow the rules, how does one report them, can't find the link.
    *edit*
    Last edited by E-E PoWeR HoUsE; 12-05-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    The pack

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    Question, those posters that dont follow the rules, how does one report them, can't find the link.
    *edit*
    Last edited by E-E PoWeR HoUsE; 12-05-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    The pack

  11. #11
    Heisman Winner
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
    I've talked about this repeatedly. Harlingen's Gomez, schedules teams like Abeline and Reagan for two reasons. Number 1 is for the current starters/seniors to get a feel for what's coming. Number 2 is to make the Sophomores and Juniors see what they are up against so they can prepare for the inevitability of their turn. Our players, the Valley, will never be able to compete with the north teams with respect to height and overall speed. But our players can do everything they can to maximize their strength, their mass vs height, and enhance their speed through training. What comes natural to many of the players from up north can be recreated but it takes a lot of work, discipline, and commitment from our players during the off-season. No coaching staff is equipped or capable of getting their players ready to compete against that level of competition during a class period each day, two a days, or spring training. There is so much more to player's development that takes a year round initiative to hone in on the specific requirements that each player needs to be able to play at his peek. Not to mention, you have to factor in the depletion (muscle mass due to caloric deficit) of a player through a season of football. None of this is taken into account by any team down here because we put so much emphasis on what the coaching staff is doing versus what the players, on an individual basis, are not doing to prepare themselves on a yearly basis. The coaches from up north, like a Lake Travis, don't have to worry about that. Either through sheer natural talent or the amount of support a player has from home to develop his skill, those coaches only have to fine tune their teams at the beginning of each season. I read an article where Ryan Reza quoted Abraham Lincoln: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". Each Valley team, at a individual basis, does at best a bare minimum at preparing for the giants that await them in the 3rd and 4th round. Which is why we can't go further. Those teams that have been successful, and I speak of Harlingen, were extremely tight and held each other accountable in the off-season during their preparation. But teams like those are few and infrequent. I know our strength coach, Monty Woodall, discusses with the players what they need to do during the off-season, ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, to get bigger, stronger, and quicker. It goes in one hear and right out the other for about 97% of our players. I doubt that this is an isolated condition found only in the Harlingen Cardinal locker room and I have a strong suspicion that this is a common theme in each program down here. Until each player, or the majority of, comes to grips with the fact that, genetically, they can not naturally compete with those players to the north and that a three full year commitment is needed to become the best player they can be, our expectations of any team going past the 4th round is an illusion.
    One quick question, so why are the Harlingen 1st graders playing organize basketball instead of flag or touch football? I know its better for the kids to be playing some sports, but. Got it, Harlingen wants to be like Santa Rosa. LOL

  12. #12
    Varsity
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Harlingen
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    How has that helped laredo schools who play san antonio squads year in and out since 2006 I belive? Laredo schools are in the same boat with the valley and they have access to the San antonio area non district schedule and as I mentioned there just as close as we are getting past the 3rd round
    Challenging dominant schools to the north are not going to do anything but serve as an eye opener for each prospective team in the south. Laredo included. The coaches goal, and once again I am speaking for Harlingen, is to (a) see how their teams react to playing that caliber of a team and (b) act as a mode of self reflection for each player that asks "have YOU done what YOU need to do to give YOURSELF the best chance to compete against a higher caliber team?" I can tell you the two lineman I worked with during the 2016 season (Juniors) were not ready to face a San Antonio Reagan defensive line at 235lbs and 227lbs respectfully. But came back in 2017 at 258lbs and 249lbs and could compete against them. It took an entire year of commitment to get to where they were. Had they focused like that the previous year we might have afforded Castro (Harlingen QB) with a little more protection.

  13. #13
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
    Challenging dominant schools to the north are not going to do anything but serve as an eye opener for each prospective team in the south. Laredo included. The coaches goal, and once again I am speaking for Harlingen, is to (a) see how their teams react to playing that caliber of a team and (b) act as a mode of self reflection for each player that asks "have YOU done what YOU need to do to give YOURSELF the best chance to compete against a higher caliber team?" I can tell you the two lineman I worked with during the 2016 season (Juniors) were not ready to face a San Antonio Reagan defensive line at 235lbs and 227lbs respectfully. But came back in 2017 at 258lbs and 249lbs and could compete against them. It took an entire year of commitment to get to where they were. Had they focused like that the previous year we might have afforded Castro (Harlingen QB) with a little more protection.
    I hate to harp on this cause I respect the cardinal program, but once again since the cards have scheduled sa teams for non district it seems that instead of helping them , they haven't seemed to make the 3rd round as prequently as they used to. In fact I believe they've only been to the 3rd round once since theyve scheduled these ball clubs. So how has it helped harlingen playing these sa schools?

    Thing is u can get into the ring with a prime mike Tysons and fight him 20 times, chances are your still going to get knocked out in round 1 or 2 each time.

  14. #14

    Default

    If scheduling harder competition didn't help I'm sure that LT would not have Judson, Steele, Jesuit and Henderson this year. I'm sure Westlake would have rather have had someone besides Katy (even though they didn't get to play that game) and a Florida team. Allen scheduled Cedar Hill, Evangel Christian Academy, Coppell and Boyd. But I guess the big dogs that are always up there don't know what they are doing. I have SB friends who love to talk about their undefeated record. They are quick to point out every time LT loses to Judson or Westlake and point out how SB is undefeated. I know they tried and scheduled a SA team so can't fault them there.

    And to the person who said that Laredo schools and how they play SA teams let me explain how this works. Just because you are from San Antonio or from Austin or Houston or even Dallas does not mean you are a good team. SA Stevens I know is a San Antonio team but it's not like you're putting Smithson Valley on your schedule. I'm sure that Austin Akins would look good on a schedule, but that's not the same as playing Austin Bowie or Westlake or LT.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    Question, those posters that dont follow the rules, how does one report them, can't find the link.
    Don't you have anything better to do than troll people ? Your one irritating poster with nothing worthwhile to offer these boards. I wonder who you pissed off this time ?
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

  16. #16

    Default

    I think the Cardinals season will be a plus in the long run, time will tell.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

  17. #17
    Varsity
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Harlingen
    Posts
    75

    Default

    I think Harlingen Gomez keeps scheduling them to keep them booked. Kind of like a re-occurring 3rd game every year no matter what are team looks like that season. I could argue for or against scheduling a SA Reagan but allow me to continue with the "for" side of the equation.
    1) I believe the coaches, from each program who schedule tough pre-season games, do this to see where there perspective teams strengths and weaknesses are early. This thread is centered around the Valley's high expectation for its teams. But let's not play around. The way the playoff brackets are configured, a Valley team will/should see the third round of play each year. Scheduling a high caliber team early gives the coaches an idea of what they should expect for that inevitability. If they win, great. Tweak the problem areas so to minimize making the same mistakes twice. If they lose, well at least you know that a significant change to the game plan is needed. In Harlingen's case, defeating Reagan in 2017 was a huge moral victory. But losing our 1 and only true running back coupled with a best receiver did not, in my opinion, equate to a net benefit for the team. You can't go into a game with the fear of injuries as that is the nature of the beast. But it was the beginning of a death spiral for us this year. The 2011 team, for whatever reason, was blessed with health throughout the season with a slight hiccup to a shoulder issue to Charlie Powers. But he recovered in time for playoffs and we were weapon rich that year. If you look at SB in 2017, I think they had one guy on the sideline with a ankle injury. In the end, going far is 90% skill and 10% luck. <---Luck = keeping players eligible and healthy.
    2) It serves as the ultimate eye opener for the younger backups who watch the guys who are starters get knocked on their butts each consecutive play during a year when the team is not meeting the expectations on an individual level. That "valley" chip on their shoulder gets bigger and they should say "that's not going to happen to me next year!" Much of this is thinking about the future and not just the present. It's a coach's goal to develop a mind set within the program that instills preparation on an individual basis akin to Reza's/Lincoln's quote from above. I will submit, with the exception of SB, it has not been whole heartedly accepted. But it doesn't change the fact that 2 teams on average per year will inevitably face these high caliber players each year and they need to have done their due diligence prior to that meeting.
    3) And this one is a little shady. I think it's also a way for these coaches to get a little name recognition on a state wide level. I'm sure M Gomez put his name on the map when he defeated the Abilene Eagles in 2011. I know he was talked about quite a bit, at the state level, when he defeated Reagan this year. Coaches have always got to be thinking about the future, including their own.

  18. #18
    Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    Question, those posters that dont follow the rules, how does one report them, can't find the link.
    That's all you know how to do.
    Maybe this is not for you

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    Question, those posters that dont follow the rules, how does one report them, can't find the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    Don't you have anything better to do than troll people ? Your one irritating poster with nothing worthwhile to offer these boards. I wonder who you pissed off this time ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rang66 View Post
    That's all you know how to do.
    Maybe this is not for you

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    Can a mod handle this guy already? He's just a worthless troll who flame baits 99.99% of the time.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
    I think Harlingen Gomez keeps scheduling them to keep them booked. Kind of like a re-occurring 3rd game every year no matter what are team looks like that season. I could argue for or against scheduling a SA Reagan but allow me to continue with the "for" side of the equation.
    1) I believe the coaches, from each program who schedule tough pre-season games, do this to see where there perspective teams strengths and weaknesses are early. This thread is centered around the Valley's high expectation for its teams. But let's not play around. The way the playoff brackets are configured, a Valley team will/should see the third round of play each year. Scheduling a high caliber team early gives the coaches an idea of what they should expect for that inevitability. If they win, great. Tweak the problem areas so to minimize making the same mistakes twice. If they lose, well at least you know that a significant change to the game plan is needed. In Harlingen's case, defeating Reagan in 2017 was a huge moral victory. But losing our 1 and only true running back coupled with a best receiver did not, in my opinion, equate to a net benefit for the team. You can't go into a game with the fear of injuries as that is the nature of the beast. But it was the beginning of a death spiral for us this year. The 2011 team, for whatever reason, was blessed with health throughout the season with a slight hiccup to a shoulder issue to Charlie Powers. But he recovered in time for playoffs and we were weapon rich that year. If you look at SB in 2017, I think they had one guy on the sideline with a ankle injury. In the end, going far is 90% skill and 10% luck. <---Luck = keeping players eligible and healthy.
    2) It serves as the ultimate eye opener for the younger backups who watch the guys who are starters get knocked on their butts each consecutive play during a year when the team is not meeting the expectations on an individual level. That "valley" chip on their shoulder gets bigger and they should say "that's not going to happen to me next year!" Much of this is thinking about the future and not just the present. It's a coach's goal to develop a mind set within the program that instills preparation on an individual basis akin to Reza's/Lincoln's quote from above. I will submit, with the exception of SB, it has not been whole heartedly accepted. But it doesn't change the fact that 2 teams on average per year will inevitably face these high caliber players each year and they need to have done their due diligence prior to that meeting.
    3) And this one is a little shady. I think it's also a way for these coaches to get a little name recognition on a state wide level. I'm sure M Gomez put his name on the map when he defeated the Abilene Eagles in 2011. I know he was talked about quite a bit, at the state level, when he defeated Reagan this year. Coaches have always got to be thinking about the future, including their own.
    Good post, I agree with most of what you said. I Never looked at things a few ways that you mentioned like losing star players while playing tougher competition. Losing a great player or few players can break your season.

    The only think I didn't agree with was the last part and that's why you might have said Shady. The only thing I didn't agree with is the 2011 Eagles reference. Although I remember and other people so on the state level people don't remember that one. There is a huge huge short term memory thing going on in the state level. I think the days of Harlingen getting respect for a 2011 victory are over as no one on either roster is left.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •