Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Immortal

I'm wondering if the harlingen coaches were limited to there play calling due to the injuries to the team.
    Last edited by Truth; 11-12-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I'm wondering if the harlingen coaches were limited to there play calling due to the injuries to the team.
    That has never stopped them.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BRWC View Post
    That was a second stringer, their WR/backup QB, in 2013.
    3rd string, ask RGVtrouble. I dont forget nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    That is because Sharyland has been better than Harlingen every year and even in 2011, just ask Trouble.

Heisman Winner

Didnt Sharyland beat Harlingen in 2012 using a 4th string qb?

Oh really?! You don't? Could have fooled me.

For one, it was "2013" and secondly, their starter Sean Landez "started" the game, but was hobbled by a sprained ankle so they put in their WR/3rd string QB Brandon Garza in the 3rd quarter for a little spark. He was not a "4th stringer."
    Last edited by BRWC; 11-12-2017 at 01:57 PM.

2x - 5A Regional Finalists ('89 & '11)
    12x - 5A/6A Regional Semifinalists ('88, '89, '94, '96, '97, '03, '05, '08, '09, '10, '11, '15)
    31x - Consecutive regular season game winning streak ('08-'11) *RGV 5A record
    38x - District Champions
    40x - Playoff trips *RGV record

BOTA- Cardinals lead 62-23-5
    Bird Bowl- Cardinals lead 21-4

Hall of Famer

I thought I was in the 2018 Cardinal thread.
    Originally Posted by newbler
    Do i flame? You betcha

Quote Originally Posted by BRWC View Post

Oh really?! You don't? Could have fooled me.

For one, it was "2013" and secondly, their starter Sean Landez "started" the game, but was hobbled by a sprained ankle so they put in their WR/3rd string QB Brandon Garza in the 3rd quarter for a little spark. It was not a "4th stringer."
    I don't forget nothing but I forgot.

Immortal

Do harlingen fans want to keep continuing scheduling sa schools in non district.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lar Card View Post
    I thought I was in the 2018 Cardinal thread.
    Me too, but that tool was trying to insinuate that a 4th string QB took us down in 2013. He just needed a refresher since he forgot. Back to 2018...

12x - 5A/6A Regional Semifinalists ('88, '89, '94, '96, '97, '03, '05, '08, '09, '10, '11, '15)
    38x - District Champions

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Do harlingen fans want to keep continuing scheduling sa schools in non district.
    I would like to continue that tradition going forward.

38x - District Champions

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    I don't forget nothing but I forgot.

38x - District Champions

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    Hey BRWC....Question
    You guys keep saying that you want change in the Offensive coaching staff of the Cards ,But yet you keep saying that you guys suffered so many injuries and had a bunch of young players.I'm assuming that the Cards have gone through this kind of issues in the past and somehow/ someway other kids stepped up to the task .My question is the following...Did your offensive staff let you guys down and the players or simply with all the issues with injuries,young kids the Cardinals teams never had a chance to begin with? And also ,why aren't you guys not putting any blame on Manny ? Isn't he the Boss and responsible for anything/ everything that goes on wether it's good and bad?
    It's a serious , respectful question from my part and I hope the Cards don't come out saying I'm hating on them .
    Nailed it. The Cardinal team that took the field during the 1st quarter of the Reagan game was transformed by the final snap of the 4th quarter. We had 1 legitimate running back and another that simply occupied a jersey. Abel, who had been injured the previous season, went out with another broken collar bone during the 3rd qtr. Our best receiver also went out during the 3rd with torn meniscus and ACL. We had 3 other receivers to throw to but our running game was rendered ineffective by a backup rb, who hesitated prior to shooting the gap. Hence a multitude of 3 and outs in the 3rd and 4th quarter which gave SA more time with the ball and the ability to mount a comeback. It also made the OC come up with a new game plan on the fly.
    As the season progressed the injuries mounted and in the end, I don't think it's fair to levy the blame on a coaching staff that was outgunned from the moment we took the field. You can only play a hand with the cards your dealt. And unlike poker, there is no bluffing in football. We ended the season against SB with 3 of the 11 original starters on offense and 6 of the 11 on defense.
    If I called out the coaches on anything it would be a question in their ability to develop replacement players. Again, that is a bit unfair because a players ability to be effective is more on the player than it is the coach. Diet, conditioning, and strength training are the responsibilities of the players and their parents. I can tell you as someone who has been immersed in the Cardinal's preparation for the last 4 years I can tell you that those three aspects are not being kept up by the individual players on that team. We will go no where until that does a 180 and that has nothing to do with how effective or ineffective the coaches are.

Quote Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
    Nailed it. The Cardinal team that took the field during the 1st quarter of the Reagan game was transformed by the final snap of the 4th quarter. We had 1 legitimate running back and another that simply occupied a jersey. Abel, who had been injured the previous season, went out with another broken collar bone during the 3rd qtr. Our best receiver also went out during the 3rd with torn meniscus and ACL. We had 3 other receivers to throw to but our running game was rendered ineffective by a backup rb, who hesitated prior to shooting the gap. Hence a multitude of 3 and outs in the 3rd and 4th quarter which gave SA more time with the ball and the ability to mount a comeback. It also made the OC come up with a new game plan on the fly.
    As the season progressed the injuries mounted and in the end, I don't think it's fair to levy the blame on a coaching staff that was outgunned from the moment we took the field. You can only play a hand with the cards your dealt. And unlike poker, there is no bluffing in football. We ended the season against SB with 3 of the 11 original starters on offense and 6 of the 11 on defense.
    If I called out the coaches on anything it would be a question in their ability to develop replacement players. Again, that is a bit unfair because a players ability to be effective is more on the player than it is the coach. Diet, conditioning, and strength training are the responsibilities of the players and their parents. I can tell you as someone who has been immersed in the Cardinal's preparation for the last 4 years I can tell you that those three aspects are not being kept up by the individual players on that team. We will go no where until that does a 180 and that has nothing to do with how effective or ineffective the coaches are.
    Are you freaking serious? No pun intended! What Are you talking about? A players and parents responsibility are u kidding what era are u living in? Its been the coaches responsibility to have there players conditioned physically and mentally! Have u not been in the state of the art facilities these kids have now? If a player choses to slack it's on him! Thats when the coach steps in and disciplines the player. The only responsibility on a parent is to support there child and to make sure there education comes first! I'm baffled with ur way of thinking. How do u not put the responsibility on the coaches to have the kids ready? Really u want the parents to make sure there kid is conditioned and strengthened? Why hell... why don't u just say that the parents just be the coaches...WOW. im just in awe with ur post. I have full faith on the coaches conditioning and strengthening our kids. Thats there job!!!
    Last edited by Hounds94; 11-12-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Varsity

H94, I'm going to try and explain but this may be above your understanding. I'm not saying that to be rude, but many people don't understand what it takes to grow, physically, beyond ones natural ability. We will break this down between two fictitious kids and call them kid A and kid B. Each are the exact height, and are composed of the same genetic makeup.
    Kid A goes through his football class and conditions with the team. After school kid A lifts weights as per the daily workout assigned by the strength coach and/or does speed and footwork drills. Kid A wakes up each morning and might have breakfast if he or his parents get up and makes it or grabs a taco or 2 at Stripes. Kid A eats lunch in the cafeteria and them eats dinner at night.
    Kid B gets up at 5:30 in the morning and eats 6 ounces of eggs, two strips of turkey bacon, and a cup and a half of oatmeal. At 8:30, and has permission by his teacher, he removes a shaker from his backpack with 2 scoops of protein and poors water into it and consumes it. At 11:30, during his lunch period, kid B removes a tray from his insulated pack and consumes 7 ounces of meat, 1 1/2 cup of white rice, and a cup of vegetables. At 2:30 he pulls out a zip lock filled with almonds and snack on those in class. Again, he has permission to do so from his teacher. After school, and before workout he drinks another shake. Then he works out. 30 minutes after work out he eats 2 rice cakes with peanut butter and perhaps a 3rd shake. Before going to bed he eats 4 ounces of meat, 2 eggs, 5 ounces of potatoe and 1/2 an avacado. Kid B works out with the team during football but specifically designs his workout to fit his position. With the above diet, he's a lineman and thus building bulk and strength is important.

Which kid dominates the other?

Which coach is responsible for making sure kid B has access to the appropriate diet and which coach ensures meal prepping is done in accordance to that diet? Or isthis the responsibility of the player and/or parent(s).
    Last edited by Red2; 11-12-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Varsity

To go beyond that, you can have the best strength and conditioning coach known to man and the best gym. The training part that comes with lifting and conditioning makes up 20% of an athletes build. This requires just showing up and putting in the effort. If he doesn't eat correctly, he is limited to what his body can't build based on current calorie consumption. The diet is 80% of what makes a player break through his own limitations. This is why many freshman are red shirted once they get to college. Their 1st year they are put on a diet plan and they gain 15-25 lbs of muscle.
    Last edited by Red2; 11-12-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Lar Card View Post
    What do we have returning next season? Any true studs from the JV/Freshman ranks?
    Jose Garcia on freshman team ... one of fastest kids I've seen since bermea
    "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to DIE". - Inigo Montoya

To go beyond that, you can have the best strength and conditioning coach known to man and the best gym. The training part that comes with lifting and conditioning makes up 20% of an athletes build. This requires just showing up and putting in the effort. If he doesn't eat correctly, he is limited to what his body can't build based on current calorie consumption. The diet is 80% of what makes a player break through his own limitations. This is why many freshman are red shirted once they get to college. Their 1st year they are put on a diet plan and they gain 15-25 lbs of muscle.
    Ok red no offense take to ur abused comment so don't take offense to this...ur completely delusional...u just wasted previous posting space! A B this and that is such a joke...lmao! U just made a whole point about dieting lol. I'm guessing u were a big kid growing up with unhealthy habits! I've never in my life seen or been around any athlete that can actually keep a strict diet...such idiotisy by u...again don't take offense but ur very delusional. Most kids at this age have such a fast metabolism that a diet isn't even necessary...in fact we have pasta night every week over here in SB and our kids are doing just fine...thats what strength and conditioning comes into play. Boy u are just so out of ur element here buddy. Unless every kid can afford a nutritioness there well never be kids that can follow this so called ridiculous diet...and furthermore if u bothered to read my post I left out the diet part because I thought it was a joke...please see ur cardinal coaching staff on this...cause ur making urself out to very uneducated on the matter. FYI I have a son currently on the team so yea I know what I'm talking about and also as a previous player I never was on a strict diet...i ate everything in site and still maintained my weight...again take no offense but please get edumacated on this subject!
    Last edited by Hounds94; 11-12-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Junior Varsity

H94, I'm going to try and explain but this may be above your understanding. I'm not saying that to be rude, but many people don't understand what it takes to grow, physically, beyond ones natural ability. We will break this down between two fictitious kids and call them kid A and kid B. Each are the exact height, and are composed of the same genetic makeup.
    Kid A goes through his football class and conditions with the team. After school kid A lifts weights as per the daily workout assigned by the strength coach and/or does speed and footwork drills. Kid A wakes up each morning and might have breakfast if he or his parents get up and makes it or grabs a taco or 2 at Stripes. Kid A eats lunch in the cafeteria and them eats dinner at night.
    Kid B gets up at 5:30 in the morning and eats 6 ounces of eggs, two strips of turkey bacon, and a cup and a half of oatmeal. At 8:30, and has permission by his teacher, he removes a shaker from his backpack with 2 scoops of protein and poors water into it and consumes it. At 11:30, during his lunch period, kid B removes a tray from his insulated pack and consumes 7 ounces of meat, 1 1/2 cup of white rice, and a cup of vegetables. At 2:30 he pulls out a zip lock filled with almonds and snack on those in class. Again, he has permission to do so from his teacher. After school, and before workout he drinks another shake. Then he works out. 30 minutes after work out he eats 2 rice cakes with peanut butter and perhaps a 3rd shake. Before going to bed he eats 4 ounces of meat, 2 eggs, 5 ounces of potatoe and 1/2 an avacado. Kid B works out with the team during football but specifically designs his workout to fit his position. With the above diet, he's a lineman and thus building bulk and strength is important.

Which kid dominates the other?

Which coach is responsible for making sure kid B has access to the appropriate diet and which coach ensures meal prepping is done in accordance to that diet? Or isthis the responsibility of the player and/or parent(s).

Good post..bobcat players are told to diet to.

Quote Originally Posted by Backtheblue View Post
    Good post..bobcat players are told to diet to.
    Point made it's the coaches that tell the kids what they need to do...furthermore many athletes don't have the luxury to buy supplements, Protein shakes, ect...point being the coaches are responsible for all aspects of a player being ready and prepared! Yes if a parent has the means to elevate there son by al means do so, but that is out side of what is already in place for these athletes to succeed period! Still that doesn't guarantee a player will stay injury free or even produce at a level of a kid with natural talent! Your just so off base with this that I have to remove myself from your baffling synopsis! Player A player B wow...that in no way proves what player will be more ready! If u ever played football u would k ow it takes a hell of a lot more than eating eggs and drinking protein shakes to even be a player. Coaches are the first in line to make sure a player is ready...again that's why there coaches and not the parents! Get a clue Blue and Red! On to the next thread...the playoff threads! See u next year...toodles.
    Last edited by Hounds94; 11-12-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Junior Varsity

Hostility for different thoughts...geez chill lol

Thread Information