Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
    Heisman Winner

Default 2018 Harlingen Cardinals

2017 was a rough one and ended with a sour taste. Hope for a healthier 2018 for the team and some changes to the offensive coaching staff. Cardinals are loaded with talent in the pipelines and deserve the best opportunities.

Next chapter...

2018 begins today!

Last edited by BRWC; 11-11-2017 at 01:34 PM.

2x - 5A Regional Finalists ('89 & '11)
    12x - 5A/6A Regional Semifinalists ('88, '89, '94, '96, '97, '03, '05, '08, '09, '10, '11, '15)
    31x - Consecutive regular season game winning streak ('08-'11) *RGV 5A record
    38x - District Champions
    40x - Playoff trips *RGV record

BOTA- Cardinals lead 62-24-5
    Bird Bowl- Cardinals lead 22-4

Heisman Winner

Hope district 32-6A stays in tact w/ realignment due in Feb '18, great comp almost each week.

12x - 5A/6A Regional Semifinalists ('88, '89, '94, '96, '97, '03, '05, '08, '09, '10, '11, '15)
    38x - District Champions

Quote Originally Posted by BRWC View Post
    2017 was a rough one and ended with sour taste. Hope for a healthier 2018 for the team and some changes to the offensive coaching staff. Cardinals are loaded with talent in the pipelines and deserve the best opportunities.

Next chapter...

2018 begins today!

Hey BRWC....Question
    You guys keep saying that you want change in the Offensive coaching staff of the Cards ,But yet you keep saying that you guys suffered so many injuries and had a bunch of young players.I'm assuming that the Cards have gone through this kind of issues in the past and somehow/ someway other kids stepped up to the task .My question is the following...Did your offensive staff let you guys down and the players or simply with all the issues with injuries,young kids the Cardinals teams never had a chance to begin with? And also ,why aren't you guys not putting any blame on Manny ? Isn't he the Boss and responsible for anything/ everything that goes on wether it's good and bad?
    It's a serious , respectful question from my part and I hope the Cards don't come out saying I'm hating on them .

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpride View Post
    Hey BRWC....Question
    You guys keep saying that you want change in the Offensive coaching staff of the Cards ,But yet you keep saying that you guys suffered so many injuries and had a bunch of young players.I'm assuming that the Cards have gone through this kind of issues in the past and somehow/ someway other kids stepped up to the task .My question is the following...Did your offensive staff let you guys down and the players or simply with all the issues with injuries,young kids the Cardinals teams never had a chance to begin with? And also ,why aren't you guys not putting any blame on Manny ? Isn't he the Boss and responsible for anything/ everything that goes on wether it's good and bad?
    It's a serious , respectful question from my part and I hope the Cards don't come out saying I'm hating on them .
    All your points are valid...all the blame should be squarely on the head coach! You can't blame the kids...they played there hearts out last night. Injuries are a part of the game but as a head coach u have to be ready with the next man up. Harlingen just looked overwhelmed last night. In my whole life I've never seen a team like this step on the field. Harlingen always comes prepared but last night just seemed like the kids and the coaching staff had zero answers. The score could've been 20 or 30 more points. What I'm saying is Harlingen will be back we all know that but it all starts with Manny! I'm not saying he has to go but definitely needs to shake things up in the coaching staff. I saw potential last night but not enough to think the cards will be favored next year...lots of young kids that need to prove themselves.
    Last edited by Hounds94; 11-11-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Heisman Winner

Hey BRWC....Question
    I think most Card fans who actually follow the teams year in year out would agree with me when I say we have felt that the OC is not up to par and needs to go. The talent is there and yes we have had some good seasons lately minus 2017, however, our offense has underachieved to say the least. For several seasons now, I’m sure many have seen us post about how our defense is on the field too much due to waaayy too many three and outs. One of the biggest problems our OC has is he has no counter when the other team makes halftime or in game adjustments. So many issues I can list but won’t because it will take all day. Maybe my fellow card fans will list some of his other incompetencies. Basically our talent has been enough to overcome the coaching staffs, specifically the OC, shortcomings.

Heisman Winner

Now for the injuries on offense VS poor play calling, we all really hope that someone with power doesn’t use that excuse to continue keeping this fool around. Yes we had injuries but our offensive woes have gone on long enough and I personally believe that if the OC position became open for the Harlingen Cardinals it would draw lots of interest from some very talented offensive minds. The injury problem was real this year, the worst I can ever remember in over 25 years of attending games. I understand this is football, injuries happen, and next man up but this was an exception. No excuses here we accept what happened. Here is the injury list for offense alone: Number one WR on the team Riley Sauceda, second best WR Joe Reyna, fourth best WR Jaime Galvan who was also the back up QB all injured. That left us with our third best WR Ethan Martinez to carry the load and he was a damn good player but with no other threats to respect.... well U get the point. Starting RB Abel Castaneda and the third string RB also out leaving the second string RB to carry the load without a legit backup. We started the BOTA last night with only two of the oringinal starting 5 on the o-line. Once again there is amazing talent coming up and coming back but we need someone that knows what to do with that talent.
    Last edited by BadFrank; 11-11-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Heisman Winner

Hey BRWC....Question
    I along with many other Card fans don't agree with Manny's hiring decisions of "majorly" Card alumni. We want the best man for the job so the kids can excel. With that said, the coaching job gets harder when your skill position players go down which was the case, and that cannot be blamed on anyone. Injuries are part of this game, just so happens that Harlingen experienced a ridiculous amount of injuries. To end the season, we only had 4 offensive starters from the 11 that defeated SA Reagan, and it's nearly impossible to replace some of the skilled talent that some of them are gifted with and to compete at the same level. Example: Judson gifted QB, he missed game vs Smithson Valley and although Judson plugged in two Soph QBs to fill in, in that game, they couldn't duplicate or replace their stud QB and ultimately lost the game. Back to your question, the OC play calling has been an issue far beyond this season and should be addressed. Hopefully Manny takes responsibility of making the right call or he too is part of the problem. The plus on Manny is that he's a great motivator and defensive minded leader. Change is needed though. The kids deserve it.
    Last edited by BRWC; 11-11-2017 at 01:38 PM.

38x - District Champions

Heisman Winner

To address the Manny issue, Card fans are split down the middle. He’s a great leader and one of the best defensive minds around love him or hate him. However, today more than ever, his hiring practices have come under fire. I do agree that he is the HC, the boss, the man at the top therefore if you’re offense struggles one year maybe two you take a look at the one calling the offense. But when you’re offense struggles three four years and no changes are made then you need to start pointing your finger at the man on top, the leader. In this case, Manny Gomez.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BadFrank View Post
    Now for the injuries on offense VS poor play calling, we all really hope that someone with power uses that excuse to continue keeping this fool around. Yes we had injuries but our offensive woes have gone on long enough and I personally believe that if the OC position became open for the Harlingen Cardinals it would draw lots of interest from some very talented offensive minds. The injury problem was real this year, the worst I can ever remember in over 25 years of attending games. I understand this is football, injuries happen, and next man up but this was an exception. No excuses here we accept what happened. Here is the injury list for offense alone: Number one WR on the team Riley Sauceda, second best WR Joe Reyna, fourth best WR Jaime Galvan who was also the back up QB all injured. That left us with our third best WR Ethan Martinez to carry the load and he was a damn good player but with no other threats to respect.... well U get the point. Starting RB Abel Castaneda and the third string RB also out leaving the second string RB to carry the load without a legit backup. We started the BOTA last night with only two of the oringinal starting 5 on the o-line. Once again there is amazing talent coming up and coming back but we need someone that knows what to do with that talent.
    Yup...and QB Daniel Ramiez also was out.

38x - District Champions

Heisman Winner

Damn can’t believe I forgot that one. That ones kinda important huh. On another note, I really hope n pray Tristan Garcia is gonna be ok. I mean I would love to have him on the field next year but right now I just hope he doesn’t have long term problems from his injury. A broken back is no joke and he was walking the sidelines last night really awkwardly and tender. Hope he has a full recovery.

Heisman Winner

To address the Manny issue, Card fans are split down the middle. Heís a great leader and one of the best defensive minds around love him or hate him. However, today more than ever, his hiring practices have come under fire. I do agree that he is the HC, the boss, the man at the top therefore if youíre offense struggles one year maybe two you take a look at the one calling the offense. But when youíre offense struggles three four years and no changes are made then you need to start pointing your finger at the man on top, the leader. In this case, Manny Gomez.

38x - District Champions

Quote Originally Posted by BRWC View Post
    I along with many other Card fans don't agree with Manny's hiring decisions of "majorly" Card alumni. We want the best man for the job so the kids can excel. With that said, the coaching job gets harder when your skill position players go down which was the case, and that cannot be blamed on anyone. Injuries are part of this game, just so happens that Harlingen experienced a ridiculous amount of injuries. To end the season, we only had 4 starters from the 11 that defeated SA Reagan, and it's nearly impossible to replace some of the skilled talent that some of them are gifted with. Example: Judson gifted QB, he missed game vs Smithson Valley and although Judson plugged in two Soph QBs to fill in for that game, they cannot duplicate or replace their stud QB. Back to your question, the OC play calling has been an issue far beyond this season and should be addressed. Hopefully Manny takes responsibility of making the right call or he too is part of the problem. The plus on Manny is that he's a great motivator and defensive minded leader. Change is needed. The kids deserve it.
    Pretty much agree on your post and makes a lot of sense. I was wondering cause I do recall when McMemorial choke in all those playoffs games many Cardinal peeps were bashing/ making fun of Mr.Littleton for our failures and saying it was all his fault. I did and still do blame him as well but also like you guys feel about Manny I don't think it's a enough reason to let him go.But does needs to find a DC/staff to get the job done with no more excuses. Believe it or I not I don't get any satisfaction in seeing any team HS team struggling or having it's season end in such a manner .We do our trash talking here but in my part it's directed to the posters and not any team or player who are still kids who have no fault in our debates.
    Wishing that 2018 brings out a way better outome for Cardinal Nation .

Heisman Winner

Damn canít believe I forgot that one. That ones kinda important huh. On another note, I really hope n pray Tristan Garcia is gonna be ok. I mean I would love to have him on the field next year but right now I just hope he doesnít have long term problems from his injury. A broken back is no joke and he was walking the sidelines last night really awkwardly and tender. Hope he has a full recovery.
    Yeah...I was thinking about him too. Hope he'll be able to make a full recovery. He's only a Junior and was one of our best DE pass rusher/run stoppers. If he cannot play next year due to the severity of his injury, the defense will definitely miss him.

38x - District Champions

Heisman Winner

Pretty much agree on your post and makes a lot of sense. I was wondering cause I do recall when McMemorial choke in all those playoffs games many Cardinal peeps were bashing/ making fun of Mr.Littleton for our failures and saying it was all his fault. I did and still do blame him as well but also like you guys feel about Manny I don't think it's a enough reason to let him go.But does needs to find a DC/staff to get the job done with no more excuses. Believe it or I not I don't get any satisfaction in seeing any team HS team struggling or having it's season end in such a manner .We do our trash talking here but in my part it's directed to the posters and not any team or player who are still kids who have no fault in our debates.
    Wishing that 2018 brings out a way better outome for Cardinal Nation .
    I agree, thanks! Same to your Mustangs.

38x - District Champions

Hrlingen's problem with next man up was the next man up got injured. It's hard to compete with 3rd string players especially in key positions. Not to mention the injuries were coming at the worse time possible.
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    Hrlingen's problem with next man up was the next man up got injured. It's hard to compete with 3rd string players especially in key positions. Not to mention the injuries were coming at the worse time possible.
    Didnt Sharyland beat Harlingen in 2012 using a 4th string qb?

Hey Mustangpride You always cry about threads I go into and say I shouldn't be there and then you come here trying to stir things up. You complain we make excuses about the coaching and now your here trying to get Cards fans to trash the coach. Funny you go around like the forum sheriff ******** about everything. Nobody gives a rats arse what you think about Harlingen..........all you do is........ and ride other teams coattails LMBO
    I could agree with you , but then we'd both be wrong.

Hall of Famer

One Gomez played football in college. The other Gomez played baseball in college. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Hall of Famer

My crystal ball shows a new OC for the Cards next season. He seems to be a former Cardinal. He seems to have good experience as an OC/HC....
    Can someone please wake me up.......
    HARLINGEN CARDINALS
    "Loved by Few, Hated by Many, but Respected by All"

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    Hey Mustangpride You always cry about threads I go into and say I shouldn't be there and then you come here trying to stir things up. You complain we make excuses about the coaching and now your here trying to get Cards fans to trash the coach. Funny you go around like the forum sheriff ******** about everything. Nobody gives a rats arse what you think about Harlingen..........all you do is........ and ride other teams coattails LMBO
    I'm not trashing the Cardinals football program at all so don't come in here twisting things around.I believe my question was fair and legit.I'm staying with the topic and actually giving your Cards best wishes. You know it's damn rare I ever comment on Harlingen threads unless you guys send me a bat signal

Thread Information