Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.

Thread: Roma

Heisman Winner

Default Roma

Is there any truth that Coach Habecker resigned?

Football Guru

Quote Originally Posted by handy manny View Post
    Is there any truth that Coach Habecker resigned?
    Well, if he did, he did a heckuva job over there. Since he and his staff took over in 2008; the Roma football program improved gradually. It's safe to say, he'll leave the Gladiator program better than it was prior to his arrival. If he actually did resign, best wishes to him.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Heisman Winner

According to HSSM he did. I just read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by handy manny View Post
    According to HSSM he did. I just read the article.
    I read that too....wasn't sure about it

Retired Super Moderator

Verified through Matt Stepp at TexasFootball. Habecker did one hell of a job turning Roma into a respectable football program. But a coaching change THIS late in the game, they will need to promote from the current staff to maintain some kind of continuity for the kids. If Roma ISD brass is smart, they'll promote someone currently on the staff to the head job on an interim basis for this coming season, then open the job to applicants in the Spring with the possibility of removing the "interim" tag off whoever they hand they keys to if he does a good job this coming season.

Immortal

He sure did a helluva job bringing some respect to Roma football, read he will be taking a assistant job with the north cougars, good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    Verified through Matt Stepp at TexasFootball. Habecker did one hell of a job turning Roma into a respectable football program. But a coaching change THIS late in the game, they will need to promote from the current staff to maintain some kind of continuity for the kids. If Roma ISD brass is smart, they'll promote someone currently on the staff to the head job on an interim basis for this coming season, then open the job to applicants in the Spring with the possibility of removing the "interim" tag off whoever they hand they keys to if he does a good job this coming season.
    I agree with just hiring from within for the season. It'll promote continuity for the upcoming season and who knows, if the coach does well, remove the interim tag. The only other question is if they want to hire someone, it would sound smart if they wait until the season is over.

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    I agree with just hiring from within for the season. It'll promote continuity for the upcoming season and who knows, if the coach does well, remove the interim tag. The only other question is if they want to hire someone, it would sound smart if they wait until the season is over.
    Roma ISD is NOT very smart... They fired Habecker a few years ago because he didn't play one of the school board members kids, he filed a lawsuit and won his job back... I don't blame him for getting out of Roma, too bad though, he's a Roma product.
    Last edited by RGVTrouble; 06-25-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Roma ISD is NOT very smart... They fired Habecker a few years ago because he didn't play one of the school board members kids, he filed a lawsuit and won his job back... I don't blame him for getting out of Roma, too bad though, he's a Roma product.
    Think that they'll hire from within?

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    Think that they'll hire from within?
    No, they opened the job up instead. Bringing someone in from the outside. Roma will most likely struggle this season because of this.

Football Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    No, they opened the job up instead. Bringing someone in from the outside. Roma will most likely struggle this season because of this.
    Villanueva is the only Roma assistant that made the cut. They would be wise to keep him onboard as the HC...at the very least for a 1-3 yr contract until they can find someone that can keep their program moving forward.
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Heisman Winner

Coach H took Roma to new rungs as football coach, but the basketball team went down. And Roma is a basketball school, maybe thats why he was or left Roma.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    Coach H took Roma to new rungs as football coach, but the basketball team went down. And Roma is a basketball school, maybe thats why he was or left Roma.
    I don't see how that would be a deciding factor,,, they could have just hired a better basketball coach,,, I think it had more to do with small town politics,,, habecker probably continued to feel the pressure of being fired even with his recent success,.. Since it had already happened before... and it's all about job security. I don't blame him for moving on,,

Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    Villanueva is the only Roma assistant that made the cut. They would be wise to keep him onboard as the HC...at the very least for a 1-3 yr contract until they can find someone that can keep their program moving forward.
    Well that is what they did. surprised that the article stated that several staff members left Roma and some are still there. Good luck Coach Villanueva.

Thread Information