Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    Hall of Famer

Default Weslaco Panthers 2017

Ok well Thought I would start this thread so we weslaco fans can chime in on the team next season and some players to look out for,,, really looking forward to my nephew competing for a starting position next season,,, as well as talk about the coaching situation since we all now know officially coach tony has been reassigned,,, word is co defensive coordinator Ross moore is the front runner,,, but that's just hearsay right now,,, but they are going to open up the position but like everyone else they told him he had to apply,,, in which he has,, but I'm as curious as anyone else to see who will apply,,, but remember this position will be for head coach only does not come with an added AD position as well,,,so will see if that plays any factor into who applies,,, What do u panther fans think? Who would you like to see as head coach,, someone on current coaching staff? Or someone new or from outside the valley perhaps? Chime in,,,
    Last edited by gwes02; 02-05-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Hall of Famer

As for players to watch just off the top of my head,,,,

Offense:
    Marco Leal (Qb) think with a whole offseason to prepare he can be pretty good if he puts in the work ,,, he took over the Qb duties I wanna say midway through district play,, feel he did alright,, considering all we do is run,, couldn't really gauge properly,, wonder if they would give Micheal Martin a shot,, hmm.

Micheal Martin (Ath) he was used everywhere for high,,, good speed,, all around playmaker. Good to see him returning.

Jeremy and Justin Coronado (Rb's)
    Richard Olszak - (Rb/Wr) kid is quick

Up front they will build the line around returnee 6'4 275 lb Richard Carmona

Defense:
    Andrew olguin - Quick, good tackler
    Roy Trevino soph last season and had a breakout season,,, kid can play ,, learned a lot playing with Diego
    Marco Noriega (watchout for him,, tore it up on jv, got moved up mid season,, played sparingly but was able to get some experience ,, Nichols worked with him,, he's gonna be another great LB for the Panthers.)

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by gwes02 View Post
    As for players to watch just off the top of my head,,,,

Offense:
    Marco Leal (Qb) think with a whole offseason to prepare he can be pretty good if he puts in the work ,,, he took over the Qb duties I wanna say midway through district play,, feel he did alright,, considering all we do is run,, couldn't really gauge properly,, wonder if they would give Micheal Martin a shot,, hmm.

Micheal Martin (Ath) he was used everywhere for high,,, good speed,, all around playmaker. Good to see him returning.

Jeremy and Justin Coronado (Rb's)
    Richard Olszak - (Rb/Wr) kid is quick

Up front they will build the line around returnee 6'4 275 lb Richard Carmona

Defense:
    Andrew olguin - Quick, good tackler
    Roy Trevino soph last season and had a breakout season,,, kid can play ,, learned a lot playing with Diego
    Marco Noriega (watchout for him,, tore it up on jv, got moved up mid season,, played sparingly but was able to get some experience ,, Nichols worked with him,, he's gonna be another great LB for the Panthers.)
    Interesting to read about Marco Leal, who lives in Mercedes, but his Dad transferred him to Weslaco High for whatever reasons. Actually I know the reason but won't mention it! What will be really interesting is when the panthers travel to Tigers stadium to face a Tigers team which will be loaded. Will start the season against perennial Calallen then Nikki Rowe and then face the panthers. The Tigers will have a great shot at beating the panthers this coming year. Looking forward to this game especially because of the Leal kid. Some people have hinted that the new Panthers coach could be Gilbert Leal who coached in Mercedes and is currently the OC at San Benito. We shall see! Any comments?

Retired Football Guru

Ok well Thought I would start this thread so we weslaco fans can chime in on the team next season and some players to look out for,,, really looking forward to my nephew competing for a starting position next season,,, as well as talk about the coaching situation since we all now know officially coach tony has been reassigned,,, word is co defensive coordinator Ross moore is the front runner,,, but that's just hearsay right now,,, but they are going to open up the position but like everyone else they told him he had to apply,,, in which he has,, but I'm as curious as anyone else to see who will apply,,, but remember this position will be for head coach only does not come with an added AD position as well,,,so will see if that plays any factor into who applies,,, What do u panther fans think? Who would you like to see as head coach,, someone on current coaching staff? Or someone new or from outside the valley perhaps? Chime in,,,
    There's alot of but's in there.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
    GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    There's alot of but's in there.

My bad jaja,,,,, lot of uncertainty right now,,, curious to see who will end up getting the position. And yes like tiger fan mentioned have also heard about San Benito's current OC {Leal} name come up,,,

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan1950 View Post
    Interesting to read about Marco Leal, who lives in Mercedes, but his Dad transferred him to Weslaco High for whatever reasons. Actually I know the reason but won't mention it! What will be really interesting is when the panthers travel to Tigers stadium to face a Tigers team which will be loaded. Will start the season against perennial Calallen then Nikki Rowe and then face the panthers. The Tigers will have a great shot at beating the panthers this coming year. Looking forward to this game especially because of the Leal kid. Some people have hinted that the new Panthers coach could be Gilbert Leal who coached in Mercedes and is currently the OC at San Benito. We shall see! Any comments?
    Yes Marco did come from Mercedes,, but he is a Panther now,, good kid with no big egos or anything (like some other teams Qb) that sometimes gets him in trouble,,, and honestly considering the HUGE series advantage the panthers have had over Mercedes I would still like weslacos chances,,, FYI Mercedes was pretty loaded last yr too,, Panthers still won,, in fact it was close to being a shut out,,, but neway for now pretty sure Panther fans want to talk about who will be the next HC at weslaco high before they start talking about match ups next season,, patience my friend.

Heisman Winner

What happen to te Banda kid? Wasn't he a QB?

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
    What happen to te Banda kid? Wasn't he a QB?
    Yes he is, well were hoping he changes his mind but word is he's not playing this coming season. Don't know anymore then that..

Immortal

I think we'll wait and see who applies and go from there, some of us have spoken about not entirely being opposed to one of our defensive coordinators possibly getting the job, i think Moore is the one most interested in becoming a HC, but it would make sense since they know the kids it would be an easier transition for them and also our defensive staff would stay in place and we know that part has been pretty solid year in year out, they always get the best out of them, it was always the offense that sputtered at times, but we also have to consider Moore doesn't have any head coaching experience, so I mean everyone's gotta start somewhere maybe he will get his shot, who knows, we'll have to wait and see..

Heisman Winner

Sammy Garza came down to Harlingen a couple weeks ago, for a benefit bar-b-cue, talked to him for a bit, wonder if has sign up for Weslaco or PI job?

Are Weslaco fans looking for a more balanced philosphony in you new HC?
    ...no me hagas caso, estoy safado. Lol.

Retired Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nfcfan View Post
    Are Weslaco fans looking for a more balanced philosphony in you new HC?
    They want puro passing from what I understand. They think they got a QB and athletes to play WR.
    Last edited by Tarpons1994; 02-06-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    They want puro passing from what I understand. They think they got a QB and athletes to play WR.
    Pretty sure your ol ball coach will find another gig really soon,,, don't need to drag it out, he wanted out of Whs too,,, and no I don't think we want puro passing either,,, a good balance attack would be nice,, still think the panthers have the athletes to run the ball effectively and mix in a passing game,,,just knowing we aren't going to be drawing a run play on 3rd and long on crucial drives gives us a little less anxiety,, at least we're hoping whomever comes in don't do that,,fact is with coach tony the play calling was so predictable ,, those 32-6a defenses were eating it up,, the panthers defense kept them in games,,

Retired Football Guru

Quote Originally Posted by northwestharl View Post
    Sammy Garza came down to Harlingen a couple weeks ago, for a benefit bar-b-cue, talked to him for a bit, wonder if has sign up for Weslaco or PI job?
    From my understanding, he's a scout for the Cowboys isnt he?

GO CARDS! GO 'CATS!

Premium

Pretty sure your ol ball coach will find another gig really soon,,, don't need to drag it out, he wanted out of Whs too,,, and no I don't think we want puro passing either,,, a good balance attack would be nice,, still think the panthers have the athletes to run the ball effectively and mix in a passing game,,,just knowing we aren't going to be drawing a run play on 3rd and long on crucial drives gives us a little less anxiety,, at least we're hoping whomever comes in don't do that,,fact is with coach tony the play calling was so predictable ,, those 32-6a defenses were eating it up,, the panthers defense kept them in games,,
    6a defenses? Smh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Not in the Area round of playoffs JK , good luck to the panthers with their job search. They definitely have a lot of talent there in Weslaco.
    Last edited by blackshirt; 02-07-2017 at 11:00 AM.

no I don't think we want puro passing either,,, a good balance attack would be nice,,
    I hear ya, some of us feel the same in PI, good luck.

Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Nfcfan View Post
    I hear ya, some of us feel the same in PI, good luck.
    Maybe you should apply
    Weslaco is just looking for a football coach pi is looking for an ad also so it's
    Just not about football.

Last edited by Rang66; 02-08-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang66 View Post
    Maybe you should apply
    Weslaco is just looking for a football coach pi is looking for an ad also so it's
    Just not about football.

lmao, ok.

Moderator in Training

So many rumored coaches that have intrest for this job opening at Weslaco High.

One thing that we know about hiring in Weslaco , it is not who you are but who you know. Hopefully politics stays out of this hiring.

Coach Moore and Stroman are the two coaches from within that I think would be great hires.

The one coach I been hearing come up is Coach Michael Salinas from Robert Vela H.S.

Stay tuned..
    Last edited by Boost; 02-09-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    I'm not afraid to think outside the box or put 8 in it.

Thread Information