Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.

Default 2017 Track & Field Season

I guess watcher hasn't started the thread yet, might as well get one going. Although no meets are until Feb. I believe, but good luck to all the valley athletes competing in track this upcoming season. Any input of meets and results will always be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    I guess watcher hasn't started the thread yet, might as well get one going. Although no meets are until Feb. I believe, but good luck to all the valley athletes competing in track this upcoming season. Any input of meets and results will always be appreciated.
    Not just saying this cause I represent Pioneer on the forum but this deserves recognition cause Track never gets the same love as other sports, but anyone who watched track last year should know that Sharyland Pioneer boys team should be the favorite in every meet this coming year. They have every guy but two key guys (Jose Aleman 1600m and 3200m and Justin Romero 4 by 4 participant) back on their District Championship and 4 by 4 State Qualifying team from last year and they dominated the JV level last season. And lets not forget they have one of the best Track coaches in Valley History Coach Tom Lee who has set all kinds of records and had handful of guys go D1 in track between 2009-2015 while elevating Sharyland into a Track Powerhouse not just Valley wide winning every meet by 100 points but across the region coming within 20 points of beating Converse Judson for a regional title in 2014 I believe. Also holds 2 Valley Records that have yet to go down: [B]4 by 100 relay: 41.93 and 4 by 200 relay: 1:27.7./B] He also has taken 5 relays (2 Sprint Relays a Valley Record) to State Championships, hands down best coach and place to go if you are a track student-athlete. Now this past year along with this coming year he has once again formed Sharyland Pioneer into a Track Juggernaut. Just some info for guys out there, this is some of the key guys back along with some intriguing new pieces to the 2017 season:

Alec Garcia senior- 400 meters 4 by 2 and 4 by 4 relay guy (48.3 split) 2x State Qualifier (Freshman and Junior Year) Didn't run alot of open 400s in meets last year due to relays but underrated and has the most solid track runner in the valley over a stellar 3 year career can't wait to see whats in store for his senior year, easily the best runner Coach Lee has can do everything on a track, I believe he can hit even lower in the 400 if he works hard..

Danny Mireles junior- 400 meters 4 by 2 and 4 by 4 relay guy (48.9).. 1x State Qualifier

Bobby Acosta senior- 400 meters 4 by 2 and 4 by 4 relay guy (49.9).. 1x State Qualifier

Johnny Howell junior- Shot Put and Discus, Legendary Coach Larry Howell's boy.. Should be primed for a State Championship season

Jacob Rosales sophomore- 100 meter (11.2) and all relay guy can easily run the 400 also..

Micheal Landavazo sophomore- 110,300 hurdles and 4 by 4 relay guy, could be one of the top hurdlers in the valley when all said and done..

Jordan Wilson senior- Long and High Jump, basketball player but make no joke this guy can jump.. First year ever doing track last year and he jumped 21'7 at the Regional Meet could be a State Qualifier this year in that event.. Also 6'0 high jumper in only one meet last year at district. Freak Athlete.

Incoming Pieces for Pioneer:

Lavar Lindo freshman- Interesting to see what Coach Lee does with this talent from Jamaica, as Coach has a knack for making 400 meter studs and allowing them reach new heights as well as finding gems.. Ran a 11.2 100 and 54.0 400 as an 8th grader.. Could be special.

Overall could be a Special group this season to watch out for providing everyone stays healthy, 4 by 4 team should be Valleys best like last season with 3 guys back along with a potential State return, will be harder with everyone gunning for them but they have alot of experience so I'm counting on that.. Also I believe Pioneer is the only team in the Valley this season to be going to 2 big out of town meets (Houston's Katy Relays and Austin Lake Travis Relays) which should be good competition for them! Future looks bright for Pioneer this season and beyond, and who knows what or who comes to Pioneer in the future as success usually brings athletes!

Best of luck to all teams this coming season, lets show what the Valley has!
    Last edited by Sharyland High/PioneerFan; 01-11-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    I'm still out here Watching B-B. We had a lot of great kids move on to D1, D2 etc. in the last 2-3 years, this year will be a year for a lot of underclass men and women to step up. The Sharland Pioneer looks to be the team to beat, Girls and boys teams. I'm glad that coaches have started to run in a few meets out of the Valley, this really helps when regional come around. I look forward to seeing some new faces this track season. Good Luck to all the track athletes.

glad to see that you're here watcher and I am looking forward to this year's edition of the track season.

Hall of Famer

does anyone have any schedules/dates ?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok1 View Post
    does anyone have any schedules/dates ?
    Steve Starks Relays - 2/10/16 - Sharyland
    Bobby Morrow Relaye 2/10/16 - San Benito
    Still don't know why these are on the same day when the were a week apart and teams could go to both.

Heisman Winner

Good info. Looks like the 4 x 400 relay has a chance at the valley record held by weslaco in the Mishak days. I believe they ran in the 3:15 to 3:16 range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharyland High/PioneerFan View Post
    Not just saying this cause I represent Pioneer on the forum but this deserves recognition cause Track never gets the same love as other sports, but anyone who watched track last year should know that Sharyland Pioneer boys team should be the favorite in every meet this coming year. They have every guy but two key guys (Jose Aleman 1600m and 3200m and Justin Romero 4 by 4 participant) back on their District Championship and 4 by 4 State Qualifying team from last year and they dominated the JV level last season. And lets not forget they have one of the best Track coaches in Valley History Coach Tom Lee who has set all kinds of records and had handful of guys go D1 in track between 2009-2015 while elevating Sharyland into a Track Powerhouse not just Valley wide winning every meet by 100 points but across the region coming within 20 points of beating Converse Judson for a regional title in 2014 I believe. Also holds 2 Valley Records that have yet to go down: [B]4 by 100 relay: 41.93 and 4 by 200 relay: 1:27.7./B] He also has taken 5 relays (2 Sprint Relays a Valley Record) to State Championships, hands down best coach and place to go if you are a track student-athlete. Now this past year along with this coming year he has once again formed Sharyland Pioneer into a Track Juggernaut. Just some info for guys out there, this is some of the key guys back along with some intriguing new pieces to the 2017 season:

Alec Garcia senior- 400 meters 4 by 2 and 4 by 4 relay guy (48.3 split) 2x State Qualifier (Freshman and Junior Year) Didn't run alot of open 400s in meets last year due to relays but underrated and has the most solid track runner in the valley over a stellar 3 year career can't wait to see whats in store for his senior year, easily the best runner Coach Lee has can do everything on a track, I believe he can hit even lower in the 400 if he works hard..

Danny Mireles junior- 400 meters 4 by 2 and 4 by 4 relay guy (48.9).. 1x State Qualifier

Bobby Acosta senior- 400 meters 4 by 2 and 4 by 4 relay guy (49.9).. 1x State Qualifier

Johnny Howell junior- Shot Put and Discus, Legendary Coach Larry Howell's boy.. Should be primed for a State Championship season

Jacob Rosales sophomore- 100 meter (11.2) and all relay guy can easily run the 400 also..

Micheal Landavazo sophomore- 110,300 hurdles and 4 by 4 relay guy, could be one of the top hurdlers in the valley when all said and done..

Jordan Wilson senior- Long and High Jump, basketball player but make no joke this guy can jump.. First year ever doing track last year and he jumped 21'7 at the Regional Meet could be a State Qualifier this year in that event.. Also 6'0 high jumper in only one meet last year at district. Freak Athlete.

Incoming Pieces for Pioneer:

Lavar Lindo freshman- Interesting to see what Coach Lee does with this talent from Jamaica, as Coach has a knack for making 400 meter studs and allowing them reach new heights as well as finding gems.. Ran a 11.2 100 and 54.0 400 as an 8th grader.. Could be special.

Overall could be a Special group this season to watch out for providing everyone stays healthy, 4 by 4 team should be Valleys best like last season with 3 guys back along with a potential State return, will be harder with everyone gunning for them but they have alot of experience so I'm counting on that.. Also I believe Pioneer is the only team in the Valley this season to be going to 2 big out of town meets (Houston's Katy Relays and Austin Lake Travis Relays) which should be good competition for them! Future looks bright for Pioneer this season and beyond, and who knows what or who comes to Pioneer in the future as success usually brings athletes!

Best of luck to all teams this coming season, lets show what the Valley has!

Will head up to Austin (Texas Relays) and watch for some fast times. Hope some of the Valley kids will be going, we need the experience especially this season.
    Last edited by The Watcher; 03-27-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Missed word

Congrats to the individuals who were district champs as well as teams. Good luck at area and represent the valley in regionals!

Immortal

Congrats to both our boys and girls Panther track teams on being Area Champions tonight, best of luck to them at Regionals ..

Quote Originally Posted by Midvalleyftball79 View Post
    Congrats to both our boys and girls Panther track teams on being Area Champions tonight, best of luck to them at Regionals ..
    Congrats to them and all qualifiers good luck in Regionals!!

Thread Information