Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    My opinion is irrelevant.

Again, just putting facts out there.

But, you jumped to that conclusion pretty quickly, didn't you?
    Is your name Santiago?

My opinion is irrelevant.

Again, just putting facts out there.

But, you jumped to that conclusion pretty quickly, didn't you?
    Is your name Santiago?

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialT View Post
    Is your name Santiago?
    Whatever, man. No, I'm not the same guy you've been arguing with on HSSM.

I put what I wanted to out there, because it's true. Do you want me to delete it?

Why do you take it so personal?

I put what I wanted to out there, because it's true. Do you want me to delete it?

The discussion is personal to me because I have a nephew on the team.
    The coach resigned, the team forefeited their games. What more can happen?Why is it important to you?
    No need to delete anything. Just stop being passive-aggressive and say what you want.

The coach resigned, the team forefeited their games. What more can happen?Why is it important to you?
    No need to delete anything. Just stop being passive-aggressive and say what you want.

Hall of Famer

Read Berry's article today. Terrible journalism. You know it's bad when Touchdown Dave puts more facts out there than you do! I know you want to be nice to a guy that you play basketball on the weekends with, but ask some real questions man!

Been doing some Questioning (pun intended!) myself, and I'll just lay the facts out here for you all.

Lalo Rios's ex-Varsity assistant at Vela, and fellow teacher, worked as a trainer/coach with Next Level Basketball, an out-of-season basketball business.

The athlete involved in the current controversy trained and played games with this assistant at Next Level for a number of years. The athlete resided in the Econonomedes High School zone at the time.

This assistant then left Next Level Basketball to form Skillz Basketball Academy (SBA) with another individual and LALO RIOS. Promotional pictures were taken of these three co-owners wearing SBA attire in the Vela High School gym marketing their out-of-school basketball training business. The only owner-employees of SBA were LALO RIOS and the other two individuals.

The athlete involved in the controversy stopped training at Next Level and began training with Skillz Basketball Academy. The athlete still resided in the Economedes High School zone.

In the fall of 2015, SBA entered into an agreement the Rio Grande Valley Vipers to run the Jr. Vipers basketball program. All three SBA owners, including LALO RIOS, began conducting basketball training and coaching team play solely for the Jr. Vipers.

The athlete involved in the controversy followed SBA and began training with and playing for the Jr. Vipers basketball training organization. The athlete still resided in the Economedes High School zone.

In the spring and summer of 2016, the athlete involved in the controversy began playing out-of-school games with various Vela basketball teams. These teams used Vela attire and took numerous photos that can be found online. The athlete involved still resided in the Economedes High School zone.

As evidenced by the UIL hearing, the athlete moved into the Vela High School zone sometime right before the beginning of the school year. You all know the rest of the story.

NOW.....take a look at all these facts. What do you think?

Honest, innocent, na´ve mistake? Or do all those coincidences add up to something and Lalo Rios knew more than he has let on?

I'll let you decide for yourself.
    And the TRUTH shall set you free. Thank you for this honest statement and letting the ppl in on more facts that they don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisman Winner

I have a question what program does not have a transfer all schools have them but i guess its not about the transfer but about how its done what happened with just playing where u are suppose to play every coach plays the game jus some get caught every school has them in 1 sport or the other

Quote Originally Posted by blkstang View Post
    I have a question what program does not have a transfer all schools have them but i guess its not about the transfer but about how its done what happened with just playing where u are suppose to play every coach plays the game jus some get caught every school has them in 1 sport or the other
    You're right man. In Vela's situation, the kid could've moved because Econ is an non-peg school for academics. All he had to do was sit out a year. It feels like standardized testing is messing with where parents want to send their kids. Add athletics... recipe for ineligibility in more than one school.
    I do agree with you about playing where you are zoned though. However when do parents draw the line... athletics vs. education. Would you want your son or daughter going to a non-peg school? I don't know man

Heisman Winner

U n i know 99.9% of transfers are done for athletic purposes if we believe different we are part of the problem never seen a student 2nd in their class academically transfer again if anyone knows of a school that does not have transfer i would like to know n they mite exist but i bet they are not in the playoffs or even close
    Last edited by blkstang; 02-17-2017 at 09:18 PM.

All Star

Kids transferring for athletics happens all the time! Now that one of the best programs got busted maybe coaches recruiting and players will think twice. If your zoned for a certain school then you have to attend. Lalo was a good coach but he wasn't considering a great coach till he got to vela. You got to have talent to win bottom line.

Heisman Winner

So will vela stop accepting all the transfers or will the transfers start going to babcats now tat it seems like its programs are back

it seems like it was the perfect time to get out of there for Lalo! he knew there was nothing coming back and he was not going to win many games like the last 2/3 years. You can see it on his pre season schedule. They were playing Lopez, psja bears, porter, la joya, Donna??? He schedule those teams this yr to play them twice and next yr still put some wins. Perfect time for him to get out. Smart move!

I agree! good coach but not great!

I agree good coach but not great!
    Quote Originally Posted by HHS55 View Post
    Kids transferring for athletics happens all the time! Now that one of the best programs got busted maybe coaches recruiting and players will think twice. If your zoned for a certain school then you have to attend. Lalo was a good coach but he wasn't considering a great coach till he got to vela. You got to have talent to win bottom line.

Heisman Winner

Sometimes u have be a better recruiter than a coach not hard to coach talented and gifted players should coaches should attend recruiting clinics instead of coaching ones in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post
    Wow didn't see Rios resigning but I'm sure he didn't wanna wait for UIL to do a full investigation. He made a mistake but everyone eventually makes one. Wish him the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bum View Post
    Bummer but I guess he's doing the right thing to help him and Vela. Hopefully he has a fresh start somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialT View Post
    It's fine that you do this. I have no connection to lalo rios, so I won't try to defend him. However, if it's found he did inappropriate things, what are they going to do fire him? I don't understand why would you waste your time putting this together?
    Hes out of a job, the kids were punished for doing nothing. The player in question has had his name released everywhere. What else do you want to happen?
    If you have another motive or want to get something off your chest just do it. No need to go all Sherlock Holmes.
    I provided this in response to the two quotes above yours. Did you read them? Both quotes reference that Lalo Rios made one simple mistake and "did the right thing" for Vela.

I'm just providing some facts that may either support or refute those claims. That's all.

No opinions in that post.

I didn't mention ANY player names. I didn't mention the names of ANY other individuals involved.

Why does this bother you? Why is it always "Kill the messenger?"

By the way, I agree that the kids should NOT have been punished. I think they should have fired Rios immediately and given him up to allow the kids to play.

Whoa whoa whoa,I just said I guess he's doing the right thing of removing himself from the program. I am as much down the middle as I can be and hope for the best for both. Recruiting or not,it sucked when it occurs because to the victors go the spoils and those who lose are to ponder the what ifs. Hope the district just quit moving kids within the school zones.

Update: Rios to be named head coach at Saturday’s school board meeting.

Sources out of Edcouch Elsa have told 956sports.com that former Vela boys basketball coach Lalo Rios will take over for Robert Capello.

Thread Information