Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
    MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    I see you mentioned a whole bunch of JV kids and returning contributors, but your best players (Ledesma boys) graduated... Some schools in the new district 16-5A DII are returning a lot more than JV kids and contributors... See ya soon
    Calm down. It's 16-5A Dll not like we are going to be playing in a stacked 32-6A or something. More than likely playing four non district games which will give the boys plenty of time to get ready. Nobody is claiming we won't miss a beat or a DC is within easy reach. We may take our lumps in non district but boys will be more than ready by district.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Tex Tiger View Post
    Calm down. It's 16-5A Dll not like we are going to be playing in a stacked 32-6A or something. More than likely playing four non district games which will give the boys plenty of time to get ready. Nobody is claiming we won't miss a beat or a DC is within easy reach. We may take our lumps in non district but boys will be more than ready by district.
    Big lumps
    Last edited by lmka; 12-19-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    Cowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

MVP

Yeah for the jackets when they play the Tigers.

Immortal

Yeah for the jackets when they play the Tigers.
    Mercedes will be in a downward spiral.

MVP

Keep telling yourself that.

Immortal

Keep telling yourself that.
    Lets see3 returning starter. 2 water boys and 1 ball boy. Yeah Downward Spiral.

Is beating EE like winning a Superbowl for Mercedes??? Just asking because a lot of Mercedes fans talk about it... I would think a good playoff run would be more impressive than beating a district rival...
    That's a legitimate question. Let me try to explain. It's not that it's a Superbowl for either team; it's a 'true' rivalry in every sense of the word. When you think of rivalries in the valley...only two come to mind immediately and that is the BOTA and the Mercedes-EE rivalries. Don't get me wrong, there are other rivalries, but not like these two. These two are on a different level when it comes to rivalries. The BOTA rivalry is lopsided in Harlingen's favor, the Mercedes-EE rivalry is dead even at 32-32&1 These communities can't stand either other; sure, they'll exchange pleasantries here and there, but make no mistake, there is no love loss there. It's evident that the team you support is not part of any rivalry like these two and that's too bad. You're missing out. There's nothing like being a part of something like that.

The playoff scenario, well, of course we want to have a successful playoff run. Our passion for wanting to beat and enjoying the win when we win that rivalry match doesn't define our passion for success in the playoffs. Ultimately, a good playoff run is more impressive than beating a rival, but we don't play our rival in the playoffs; so our opportunity (whether it be Mercedes or EE) to have bragging rights over each other is our head to head matchup; that happens in the regular season, not playoffs, unfortunately. Some (rang66/lmka) like to compare EE's and Mercedes playoff record, but that's a false equivalency. You see, if both teams played the same playoff schedule the same year; which we know is not possible, then an equal comparison can be made, but we don't; so those comparisons or results are misleading. Less informed individuals will fall for those types of comparisons, especially when it benefits their argument, but those that are more informed...well....they just know better.

My apologies for the long rant, but I hadn't posted in a while and I guess I responded to several posts in this one.
    Last edited by JiveTurkey; 12-20-2017 at 01:41 AM.

The Donna-Weslaco rivalry comes to mind also, but other than that....you're kind of reaching with the other ones. They're not quite there, yet.
    Last edited by JiveTurkey; 12-20-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Immortal

Los Fresnos Vs PI.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    That's a legitimate question. Let me try to explain. It's not that it's a Superbowl for either team; it's a 'true' rivalry in every sense of the word. When you think of rivalries in the valley...only two come to mind immediately and that is the BOTA and the Mercedes-EE rivalries. Don't get me wrong, there are other rivalries, but not like these two. These two are on a different level when it comes to rivalries. The BOTA rivalry is lopsided in Harlingen's favor, the Mercedes-EE rivalry is dead even at 32-32&1 These communities can't stand either other; sure, they'll exchange pleasantries here and there, but make no mistake, there is no love loss there. It's evident that the team you support is not part of any rivalry like these two and that's too bad. You're missing out. There's nothing like being a part of something like that.

The playoff scenario, well, of course we want to have a successful playoff run. Our passion for wanting to beat and enjoying the win when we win that rivalry match doesn't define our passion for success in the playoffs. Ultimately, a good playoff run is more impressive than beating a rival, but we don't play our rival in the playoffs; so our opportunity (whether it be Mercedes or EE) to have bragging rights over each other is our head to head matchup; that happens in the regular season, not playoffs, unfortunately. Some (rang66/lmka) like to compare EE's and Mercedes playoff record, but that's a false equivalency. You see, if both teams played the same playoff schedule the same year; which we know is not possible, then an equal comparison can be made, but we don't; so those comparisons or results are misleading. Less informed individuals will fall for those types of comparisons, especially when it benefits their argument, but those that are more informed...well....they just know better.

My apologies for the long rant, but I hadn't posted in a while and I guess I responded to several posts in this one.
    Look you rant about who plays who in the playoff. But the point is your Tigers still sucks when it comes to the playoffs. What's the excuse when you lost to 2 4th place teams in the playoffs ( 5-5 Roma and Sharyland).

Immortal

Is beating EE like winning a Superbowl for Mercedes??? Just asking because a lot of Mercedes fans talk about it... I would think a good playoff run would be more impressive than beating a district rival...
    Yes it is. There is a restaurant in Mercedes that has a picture of a game between E-E vs Mercedes and it has on it ( MERCEDES TIGERS GREATEST MOMEMENT} MERCEDES 17-14 AGAIST E-E. You decide Trouble is that as good as it will ever it will get for them?
    Last edited by lmka; 12-20-2017 at 03:55 AM.

Hall of Famer

Great rivalry ee should be favored in this one the starters back
    But I still have Tigers winning this one to take the series lead lots at stake this season ee vs Mercedes.
    Need a long way to go but well see in 2018 season....
    Go Tigers. ..

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    Lets see3 returning starter. 2 water boys and 1 ball boy. Yeah Downward Spiral.
    Just a reminder you can have many returning starters what was there skill set.? All A players or b or c players...
    But if they are not playing at a high level then it does not matter if you have the whole team back.
    We will have some voids to fill with skilled players I know we will make the playoffs imo not sure what seed though. ..
    Last edited by badboyzracing; 12-20-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by badboyzracing View Post
    Just a reminder you can have many returning starters what was there skill set.? All A players or b or c players...
    But if they are not playing at a high level then it does not matter if you have the whole team back.
    We will have some voids to fill with skilled players I know we will make the playoffs imo not sure what seed though. ..
    Dude the main Guy you have to worry if you can replace your QB Ledesma. And that will be big shoes to fill.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by badboyzracing View Post
    WOW!!!
    Never knew Mercedes was a hot bed for talent.

Premium

9 playoff wins is misleading ?
    Did I miss something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Heisman Winner

The Donna-Weslaco rivalry comes to mind also, but other than that....you're kind of reaching with the other ones. They're not quite there, yet.
    The king of them all is the Santa Rosa-La Villa game, heck they even have a bowl game to honor them, its call THE SUGAR BOWL. LOL

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Rang66 View Post
    9 playoff wins is misleading ?
    Did I miss something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    No, that's not what is misleading. How the information is used is what is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by lmka View Post
    Los Fresnos Vs PI.
    Like I said, there are other rivalries out there, but not the same intensity as the ones I mentioned. That's just my opinion.

Thread Information