Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Virginia, you are a supporter of a track program that has years of success, why don't they have a FAT timer if that what takes to get these kids out there with FAT times. Surely it's not money or they just don't care or don't know?????????

All Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    One more thing Koolaid then I'm gonna let it go because it early in the season, when those College Coaches go to the track meets and have stop watches around their necks are those FAT Stop Watches?
    How many DIVISION 1 coaches you seen timing kids with stopwatches? None, most of the time, if they do have them, are for splits.
    I'm saying it matters most in college, indoor is 2nd tier to outdoors. they don't recruit kids primarily based off of their indoor times. There is significantly less events indoors, than outdoors. Olympics is outdoors. Outdoors is track and field. Indoor is just looked at as a preseason. If a kid out of high school only has indoor times, and can't run fast outside. He'll be questionable compared to a kid who hasn't ran indoors prior to college because indoor is not the most important thing.
    You can't beat us, so most don't even try..

All Star

You are right SOME, I don't agree that 10.6 timed by a coach or school staff turns into a 11.2
    Results don't lie. Go look at the times ran last year as "valley's bests" and then their times at regionals. In the valley, look like D1 with those times. In san antonio, the look like D2. It is what it is.

All Star

Virginia, you are a supporter of a track program that has years of success, why don't they have a FAT timer if that what takes to get these kids out there with FAT times. Surely it's not money or they just don't care or don't know?????????
    It is money. FAT systems are expensive, and are a lot of work to set up. Easier to just do handheld and get it rolling. Weslaco sometimes have FAT meets, (MOC) but even there it isn't usually working half the time, or races change cause of the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by getto koolaid View Post
    Results don't lie. Go look at the times ran last year as "valley's bests" and then their times at regionals. In the valley, look like D1 with those times. In san antonio, the look like D2. It is what it is.
    First of all don't know any track team that runs all indoor meets, usually outdoor times are faster. I think you should petition all the valley ISD's for them to get FAT Timers otherwise your comments are wasted! These kids can only run where coaches take them. And if you re read one of my posts you will see I said the " real tests comes when they go to San Antonio meets that are coming up.

Hall of Famer

That's what I'm trying to say, I'm not dogging the kid at all, if he is that fast then great for him. I'm questioning Trouble's assumptions or predictions. Is he saying he's gonna be 10.4 in the valley, or 10.4 at State? It's a shame that the valley does not step up their game (referring to their timing issues) because it seems like every year, there are kids that run 10.6 and 21.5 but when they get to regionals, they all run 11 flat and 22.5. It hurts the kids more than anything, "Coach, my PR is a 10.6. I don't know why I ran an 11.2 FAT". That is why athletes don't get recognition until they get to the state/regional meet, and it's difficult with these handheld times. Kids won't get recruited until May (when they have FAT) unless they run something fast their junior year (at state). And in May of their senior year, most colleges don't have money to give.
    I agree handheld times don't mean much. Luckily Bobby Lackey Stadium is FAT, Meet of Champs, Weslaco Invitational and the District Meet have at least been FAT for the RGV kids over the last few years.

How many DIVISION 1 coaches you seen timing kids with stopwatches? None, most of the time, if they do have them, are for splits.
    Best believe if the meet isn't FAT, they are using their own stopwatch. Fact.

9 different RGV girls signed D1 track and Field last year alone. Not sure if your statement holds up.

All Star

First of all don't know any track team that runs all indoor meets, usually outdoor times are faster. I think you should petition all the valley ISD's for them to get FAT Timers otherwise your comments are wasted! These kids can only run where coaches take them. And if you re read one of my posts you will see I said the " real tests comes when they go to San Antonio meets that are coming up.
    Why do you act like I am being threatening? I'm just stating my points and/or opinions. I'm not disagreeing with you, or talking smack to you. We are debating, no need to fluff up your chest. Just saying, they can run 10.1 down here and no one will care, has to be automatic.

Koolaid, your logic is flawed here is way, I was just talking to someone and they made this point. CJ Cavazos best time was a 10.5 handheld time from the valley, he did not win regionals last year in the 100 in SA, he won a INDOOR meet in the 60 meters but he is a D1 College Track Student!!!! Checkmate!!!

All Star

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    I agree handheld times don't mean much. Luckily Bobby Lackey Stadium is FAT, Meet of Champs, Weslaco Invitational and the District Meet have at least been FAT for the RGV kids over the last few years.

Best believe if the meet isn't FAT, they are using their own stopwatch. Fact.

9 different RGV girls signed D1 track and Field last year alone. Not sure if your statement holds up.
    1. And they have a nice track too
    2. All division 1 meets are FAT
    3. I was aware that they had so many girls, but not as familiar as to what events they did? I know for sprints is where FAT matters most. The longer the race, the less important. And in field events, a metal rulers are harder to come by, and you can't mess up that bad with a measurement.

Side note: My opinion would be better if I said, "hand held means nothing unless you run something automatic to back it up*" <-- my bad

All Star

Koolaid, your logic is flawed here is way, I was just talking to someone and they made this point. CJ Cavazos best time was a 10.5 handheld time from the valley, he did not win regionals last year in the 100 in SA, he won a INDOOR meet in the 60 meters but he is a D1 College Track Student!!!! Checkmate!!!
    Yes. Refer to my last post where I replied to HMW. I failed to mention something.

Hall of Famer

[QUOTE=getto koolaid;699787]
    2. All division 1 meets are FAT
    3. I was aware that they had so many girls, but not as familiar as to what events they did? I know for sprints is where FAT matters most. The longer the race, the less important. And in field events, a metal rulers are harder to come by, and you can't mess up that bad with a measurement.

Side note: My opinion would be better if I said, "hand held means nothing unless you run something automatic to back it up*" <-- my bad
    2. I thought you two were referring to D1 coaches scouting high school meets.
    Of course the college level is FAT.

3. 2 were for sprints. 1 was for hurdles. 1 for discuss. 2 for shot put. 3 for long distance. (if memory serves me correct)
    Of course FAT is most important in sprints (400m and under).

I agree with your side note

Why do you act like I am being threatening? I'm just stating my points and/or opinions. I'm not disagreeing with you, or talking smack to you. We are debating, no need to fluff up your chest. Just saying, they can run 10.1 down here and no one will care, has to be automatic.
    Chest not puffed or nothing personal got nobody in the game, just pointing out the stuff you said didn't matter but yet CJ did those things and is running D1

Chest not puffed or nothing personal got nobody in the game, just pointing out the stuff you said didn't matter but yet CJ did those things and is running D1
    And I did say they would have to back it up in SA

Platinum

Ghetto Koolaid, who said anything about timing methods!??! Also, I know all about FAT timing, I've been talking about it for YEARS on this forum, try to keep up!!!! I said by midseason, we more than likely won't see FAT timing until MOC, so it snot far fetched to see Cole run a 10.4 HH time at one of these local meets... Cole ran a 22.93 on an indoor BANKLESS track, that is pretty respectable considering he couldn't take those curves at full speed... But you have to be a hater, SHOCKER!!!!

Watcher, don't let these Harlingen clowns get you down, they are just mad at me because I tease them so much on the football forum about Sharyland beating them after they were practically guaranteeing victory.... FAT or hand timed, they don't have a track kid that can run with the Sharyland kids...
    Last edited by RGVTrouble; 02-11-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    Ghetto Koolaid, who said anything about timing methods!??! Also, I know all about FAT timing, I've been talking about it for YEARS on this forum, try to keep up!!!! I said by midseason, we more than likely won't see FAT timing until MOC, so it snot far fetched to see Cole run a 10.4 HH time at one of these local meets... Cole ran a 22.93 on an indoor BANKLESS track, that is pretty respectable considering he couldn't take those curves at full speed... But you have to be a hater, SHOCKER!!!!

Watcher, don't let these Harlingen clowns get you down, they are just mad at me because I tease them so much on the football forum about Sharyland beating them after they were practically guaranteeing victory.... FAT or hand timed, they don't have a track kid that can run with the Sharyland kids...
    Not worried at all I just used his own comments against him to prove him wrong. I'm sure college coaches look at FAT times, every college track uses it, but if that's the only thing they looked at why would they have a adjustment for handheld times (.24 added). And like I said the do bring their own stop watches and it's not just for splits.

Not worried at all I just used his own comments against him to prove him wrong. I'm sure college coaches look at FAT times, every college track uses it, but if that's the only thing they looked at why would they have a adjustment for handheld times (.24 added). And like I said the do bring their own stop watches and it's not just for splits.

All Star

Rankings don't count handheld. Bottom line. Especially if it something crazy like 10.4 (unless they have times to back it up) No college will trust a 10.4 hh without evidence of automatic timing, or should I say, no university worth attending. And I'll refer back to Trouble's statement at the end of the season. Sophomore Chris Rosales could be making a splash like he did at the end of last season as a Frosh.

Rankings don't count handheld. Bottom line. Especially if it something crazy like 10.4 (unless they have times to back it up) No college will trust a 10.4 hh without evidence of automatic timing, or should I say, no university worth attending. And I'll refer back to Trouble's statement at the end of the season. Sophomore Chris Rosales could be making a splash like he did at the end of last season as a Frosh.
    How did he do last weekend?

Platinum

How did he do last weekend?
    He ran a 22.62 in the 200m, doesn't look like he ran the 100m...

Hey watcher, do you know who that kid is from the Freshman football team that ran 11.5 HH as an 8th grader? He'd be a freshman this season...
    Last edited by RGVTrouble; 02-12-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Hey watcher, do you know who that kid is from the Freshman football team that ran 11.5 HH as an 8th grader? He'd be a freshman this season...
    I don't know, I was looking at the results from the San Benito track meet online and Harlingen was at the meet they didn't win any sprints. Wonder if some of there guys are playing B- Ball?

Thread Information