Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 242
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    2013 was a great year for Track & Field in the RGV, overall 3 state gold champions: Vince Castillo (Donna) 300m hurdles, Felipe Valencia (La Joya Palmview) shot put, Daneilis Murchison (Port Isabel) shot put.
    And guess what? They're all three back for more in 2014!

    The RGV has established an excellent tradition in hurdles, including taking 5A state gold the past 2 years in the Boys 300m hurdles (Bermea 2012, Castillo 2013). Castillo is back for his junior year, and Roman Hernandez (Harlingen), whom finished 5th in the state last season, is back for more as well. What a treat to see two of the top five hurdlers in the state go at it all season right here in the RGV.

    Also, maybe the deepest group of 100m sprinters the RGV has had:
    Trevor Speights (McAllen Memorial), Jacquil Evans (Brownsville Rivers), James Cole (Sharyland), Jaedon Taylor (Harlingen), File Patino (PSJA High), among others. Expect some great times, and heated races.
    Sharyland, Harlingen, McMemorial should continue to have solid 4x100m squads.

    Nine RGV girls signed D1 last season, possibly the greatest accomplishment for the RGV all of last year, in all sports.

    I expect Briana DeLeon (Weslaco) to dominate. Many gold medals coming for her in her senior year.
    Daneilis Murchison should have another excellent season, going for her third straight trip to the state finals, in only her junior year.
    Krysta Martinez (Edcouch-Elsa) ran the fifth fastest time in RGV history in the 1600m run in 2013. She was only a freshman.


    What other individuals/teams should we be on the lookout for in 2014?
    yeah..your take sounds about right.
    those who serve the best .....profit the most-

  2. #22

    Default

    Did anybody see any of the tracks meets this weekend?

  3. #23
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    two steps ahead of you
    Posts
    14,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Did anybody see any of the tracks meets this weekend?
    The Winter Relays were this weekend, I didn't watch them, I don't think Sharyland's boys ran....

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Granjeno TX
    Posts
    1,782

    Default

    Ryan puente should do well for Mchi...kid can fly

  5. #25

    Default

    Did some checking "Trouble" Sharyland Boys ran in San Benito. They won the meet, J Cole ran a 10.64 in the 100, they took a 2nd in the 4X100(adjustments need) and won the 4X400. Overall not bad for first meet

  6. #26
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    two steps ahead of you
    Posts
    14,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Did some checking "Trouble" Sharyland Boys ran in San Benito. They won the meet, J Cole ran a 10.64 in the 100, they took a 2nd in the 4X100(adjustments need) and won the 4X400. Overall not bad for first meet
    2nd in the 4x100!??!!? WHO BEAT THEM?!!?!?

  7. #27
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    two steps ahead of you
    Posts
    14,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Did some checking "Trouble" Sharyland Boys ran in San Benito. They won the meet, J Cole ran a 10.64 in the 100, they took a 2nd in the 4X100(adjustments need) and won the 4X400. Overall not bad for first meet
    I hear they ran a record 3.26 4x400m too, that should be school record if I'm not mistaken, faster than the team that went to state a couple of season's ago

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    2nd in the 4x100!??!!? WHO BEAT THEM?!!?!?
    Heard they had a bad handoff (Los Fresnos took 1st)

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGVTrouble View Post
    I hear they ran a record 3.26 4x400m too, that should be school record if I'm not mistaken, faster than the team that went to state a couple of season's ago
    Heard they had Cole on 1st leg and all the guys did a great job!

  10. #30
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    two steps ahead of you
    Posts
    14,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Heard they had Cole on 1st leg and all the guys did a great job!
    Cole ran the 4x400??? AND ran a 10.64 on his opening meet???? I think he's gonna be good for a 10.4 mid season... I HOPE!!! Who are the kids on the relay team? I'm assuming Justin Harris is still the anchor, Cole is the 2nd leg, but who is starting it? Landez at 3rd leg? I'm just assuming here...

  11. #31
    All Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Harlingen
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Trouble will never understand the handheld time method…. Simple minds… If he runs 10.4 that will put him one of the fastest sophomores in the country, ever. But these are automatic timing.. No national rankings take handheld. All of this sub 11 stuff in the valley is so questionable.
    You can't beat us, so most don't even try..

  12. #32
    All Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Harlingen
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Trouble will never understand the handheld time method…. Simple minds… If he runs 10.4 that will put him one of the fastest sophomores in the country, ever. But these are automatic timing.. No national rankings take handheld. All of this sub 11 stuff in the valley is so questionable.
    You can't beat us, so most don't even try..

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by getto koolaid View Post
    Trouble will never understand the handheld time method…. Simple minds… If he runs 10.4 that will put him one of the fastest sophomores in the country, ever. But these are automatic timing.. No national rankings take handheld. All of this sub 11 stuff in the valley is so questionable.
    So you going to hold that against the kid because the track meet didn't have a FAT timer? By the way kid is a Junior and did run a respectable 22.93 in the 200 meters at the Carl Lewis Invitational not bad for beginning of the season. Real test will be when Sharyland goes to San Antonio meets
    Last edited by The Watcher; 02-11-2014 at 11:32 AM.

  14. #34
    All Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Harlingen
    Posts
    245

    Default

    That's what I'm trying to say, I'm not dogging the kid at all, if he is that fast then great for him. I'm questioning Trouble's assumptions or predictions. Is he saying he's gonna be 10.4 in the valley, or 10.4 at State? It's a shame that the valley does not step up their game (referring to their timing issues) because it seems like every year, there are kids that run 10.6 and 21.5 but when they get to regionals, they all run 11 flat and 22.5. It hurts the kids more than anything, "Coach, my PR is a 10.6. I don't know why I ran an 11.2 FAT". That is why athletes don't get recognition until they get to the state/regional meet, and it's difficult with these handheld times. Kids won't get recruited until May (when they have FAT) unless they run something fast their junior year (at state). And in May of their senior year, most colleges don't have money to give.
    You can't beat us, so most don't even try..

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by getto koolaid View Post
    That's what I'm trying to say, I'm not dogging the kid at all, if he is that fast then great for him. I'm questioning Trouble's assumptions or predictions. Is he saying he's gonna be 10.4 in the valley, or 10.4 at State? It's a shame that the valley does not step up their game (referring to their timing issues) because it seems like every year, there are kids that run 10.6 and 21.5 but when they get to regionals, they all run 11 flat and 22.5. It hurts the kids more than anything, "Coach, my PR is a 10.6. I don't know why I ran an 11.2 FAT". That is why athletes don't get recognition until they get to the state/regional meet, and it's difficult with these handheld times. Kids won't get recruited until May (when they have FAT) unless they run something fast their junior year (at state). And in May of their senior year, most colleges don't have money to give.
    I agree with you on that, but his 22.93 in the 200 meters was a FAT on a indoor track so he must have some speed!!!

  16. #36
    All Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Harlingen
    Posts
    245

    Default

    22.9 is not a great time state or nation wide. Indoor is a waste of time for Texas HS athletes, for the most part we have beautiful weather, and have the fastest state meet in the country. Other states need indoors because they can't run outside until late April or early May. Unless you are ranked towards the top of the list, it's not important because college coaches want to win outside, not inside. They care about outdoor performances, especially in high school. 22.9 puts him outside the top 100 in the country, focus on running outdoors. Indoors is a good experience for him though, but that's about it. Especially if he only ran once indoors. Running on a banked track is all about technique. Hurts kids who don't know how to run it/run it frequently.
    You can't beat us, so most don't even try..

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by getto koolaid View Post
    22.9 is not a great time state or nation wide. Indoor is a waste of time for Texas HS athletes, for the most part we have beautiful weather, and have the fastest state meet in the country. Other states need indoors because they can't run outside until late April or early May. Unless you are ranked towards the top of the list, it's not important because college coaches want to win outside, not inside. They care about outdoor performances, especially in high school. 22.9 puts him outside the top 100 in the country, focus on running outdoors. Indoors is a good experience for him though, but that's about it. Especially if he only ran once indoors. Running on a banked track is all about technique. Hurts kids who don't know how to run it/run it frequently.
    Why would colleges have indoor meets if only care about winning outdoors. Start the season later and run it later into the year like baseball.
    Last edited by The Watcher; 02-11-2014 at 12:10 PM.

  18. #38

    Default

    One more thing Koolaid then I'm gonna let it go because it early in the season, when those College Coaches go to the track meets and have stop watches around their necks are those FAT Stop Watches?

  19. #39
    Premium
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SATX
    Posts
    4,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by getto koolaid View Post
    That's what I'm trying to say, I'm not dogging the kid at all, if he is that fast then great for him. I'm questioning Trouble's assumptions or predictions. Is he saying he's gonna be 10.4 in the valley, or 10.4 at State? It's a shame that the valley does not step up their game (referring to their timing issues) because it seems like every year, there are kids that run 10.6 and 21.5 but when they get to regionals, they all run 11 flat and 22.5. It hurts the kids more than anything, "Coach, my PR is a 10.6. I don't know why I ran an 11.2 FAT". That is why athletes don't get recognition until they get to the state/regional meet, and it's difficult with these handheld times. Kids won't get recruited until May (when they have FAT) unless they run something fast their junior year (at state). And in May of their senior year, most colleges don't have money to give.
    great points made here.
    RIP houndfan aka "Rudy" | 1969-2017

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgon View Post
    great points made here.
    You are right SOME, I don't agree that 10.6 timed by a coach or school staff turns into a 11.2

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •