Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Hall of Famer

20+mph winds NOT ideal for a track meet...

Hall of Famer

Heard Sharyland boys finished 3rd overall in San Antonio at the Judson meet. Good prep for regionals.

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    20+mph winds NOT ideal for a track meet...
    i saw a girl get third only to have it taken a good 30 min later...an apparent mishap on the final measuring card.....the weird thing is that ...her 3rd place medal went to "WESLACO EAST????"

Im not to familiar with how they handle the measuring but does this happen often?
    Last edited by humblewarrior695; 03-10-2013 at 01:13 AM.
    those who serve the best .....profit the most-

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Kellym View Post
    Heard Sharyland boys finished 3rd overall in San Antonio at the Judson meet. Good prep for regionals.
    Regionals is still about a month and a half away, but good prep no doubt.
    Nice to see an RGV team not afraid to travel. I don't know if it's $$$ or what that keeps the other schools locked into competing vs the same schools over and over throughout the year, or maybe scared of competition.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by humblewarrior695 View Post
    i saw a girl get third only to have it taken a good 30 min later...an apparent mishap on the final measuring card.....the weird thing is that ...her 3rd place medal went to "WESLACO EAST????"

Im not to familiar with how they handle the measuring but does this happen often?
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, sorry.

My sister in law got third on both disk and shot........however she was told 30 mins later that her shot throw was fourth.....so she gave the medal back without any hesitation....it was not until I asked who they gave the medal to that my mind started to wonder.....the good thing is that my sister in law took it well....she stated she just needs to practice......it was her fist meet since the summer and she is well aware that she is only throwing 5th or 6th place...she said she was luck Cox was not there.....still I think its a shame what Weslaco pull offf on her......but I could be wrong.....im just puzzeled that it took 30 min to catch the error.

Anyways congrats to shary....if true...

Hall of Famer

My sister in law got third on both disk and shot........however she was told 30 mins later that her shot throw was fourth.....so she gave the medal back without any hesitation....it was not until I asked who they gave the medal to that my mind started to wonder.....the good thing is that my sister in law took it well....she stated she just needs to practice......it was her fist meet since the summer and she is well aware that she is only throwing 5th or 6th place...she said she was luck Cox was not there.....still I think its a shame what Weslaco pull offf on her......but I could be wrong.....im just puzzeled that it took 30 min to catch the error.
    Oh okay, I get it. Yeah, they seemed to be having problems. The girl that clearly got 1st in the hurdles they tried to give her 2nd place, it was odd to say the least.
    Sounds like your sister inlaw did well. I believe you said it was her first varsity meet? That's great then, she will only continue to improve.

Hall of Famer

11 DAYS TILL MEET OF CHAMPIONS! (March 22-23)
    Last edited by HMW; 03-11-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Yeah....I will blame it on the wind.....but about her first time in varsity...my mother in law spoke to Torres and she said he spoke well about her and said she has a future in it.....I tell her not to worry about the fish team...she will win out with no clear competition.....sje is better off getting schooled by the varsity girls for now.....anyways...im excited about the meet of champs i hope they invite her...so she can see how it really goes down with the big boys and girls.....anyways...I will be outthere...from now on....same personality and passion...just a diffrent sport.

Go Cards!!

Hall of Famer

same personality and passion...just a diffrent sport.
    exactly.

Hall of Famer

When and where are the next meets?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by nightrain34 View Post
    When and where are the next meets?
    I believe they are pretty much all off this week for Spring Break.
    The next meet is the biggest/best in the RGV.
    Meet of Champions @ Bobby Lackey Stadium in Weslaco.
    It will feature all the best and fastest in the RGV.
    Prelims Friday March 22nd, Finals Saturday March 23rd.

Hall of Famer

Post Track & Field Notebook: Two Valley records among nation's best

3/3/13
    David Hinojosa | The Monitor

There may not be a better regular season meet this season than last Friday’s Patriot Relays at Mission Veterans Memorial. Two Valley records were broken. One of those is currently the best mark in the country this season. The other is the second-best.

Los Fresnos’ Corina Cox shattered the Valley record in the girls discus with a toss of 168-11. Anyssa Olivarez of Mission High set the previous mark in 1994 with a 160-6.

According to DyeStat.com, Cox’s mark is the best in the nation so far this season. Cion Hicks of Killeen (Texas) Shoemaker previously held the nation’s best at 157-3 at the Kangaroo Relays in Killeen.

Cox’s 168-11 is also the fourth-best mark in state history, according to Phil Murray of TexasTrack.com.

Mission Veterans’ Keliah Garcia finished second to Cox with a 150-7, which is the nation’s fourth-best distance this season.

Edinburg Economedes senior Leigha Brown broke her own Valley record in the 300-meter hurdles with a time of 43.49 seconds. She established the record last year with a 43.64. Brown’s time on Friday is the second-best in the country, according to DyeStat.com.

The official times were not announced during the meet on Friday so Brown didn’t realize she had broken her record until she read it in the newspaper the next day.

“I knew I ran a 43, but I didn’t know my exact time until I saw it in the paper,” Brown said. “I thought, ‘Whoa, that’s pretty fast.’ “

Brown wants to keep improving her times each week. Her goal in the 300 hurdles is to record a time faster than 42 seconds.

“My workouts get a little harder every week,” Brown said. “That’s really helping me a lot.”

REGIONAL TEST

The consensus among area coaches is Sharyland’s boys and girls teams have the best depth in the Valley. Sharyland boys coach Tom Lee said earlier this season he had designs on performing well at the Region IV-5A meet this season. Last weekend, Sharyland boys and girls teams got a preview of what to expect at the Converse Judson Relays, which attracted many of the top teams from San Antonio.

Both Sharyland teams turned in strong performances with the girls finishing second and the boys third in the team standings. The girls scored 62 points, which was 50 in back of first-place Judson. The boys scored 76 points, finishing behind Judson (92) and Cibolo Steele (84).

Sharyland’s Valerie Rodriguez won the girls 800 run with a time of 2:15.26, which is a Valley’s best this season. The Lady Rattlers set another Valley’s best this season with a 1:47.67 in the 4 x 200 relay. Nora Monie won the discus and shot put.

Sharyland’s boys won four events. Jose Angel Gonzalez swept the 1,600 and 3,200 runs. Teammate Gabe Rodriguez finished second to Gonzalez in the 1,600. Richard Cervantes won the discus and shot put.

TAKING A BREAK

No local meets are scheduled this weekend because of spring break. The season picks up next week with the 38th Annual Rio Grande Valley Coaches Association’s Meet of Champions.

Preliminaries will be held on March 22 at four sites. The Class 5A boys will be at Bobby Lackey Stadium in Weslaco; the 5A girls at Sams Stadium in Brownsville; the 4A boys and girls at Bobby Layton Memorial Stadium in Elsa and the 3A boys and girls at Burnett Stadium in Raymondville.

The finals will be held on March 23 in Weslaco.

Hall of Famer

what time are the meet of champ finals?

My mother in law is a nurse that covers the Valley...she mentioned this to me the other day....but she was saying Kourtney Cox...I was like the girl from friends????

Thay is totally awesome.....when I spoke to this young lady I was a bit intimidated....my wife was laughing at me.....the girl has the spin down to the t....and she works extremely hard...during the summer I followed her a bit.....shes got beauty and style...both on and off the fld....her parents should be super proud.

Good for her and her school.

Hall of Famer

What time does the Meet of Champs finals begin?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by nightrain34 View Post
    What time does the Meet of Champs finals begin?
    I'm not positive on that, I don't want to give you the wrong time. It will be Saturday evening. I'm sure we'll know here in the next couple of days exact time of events.

Thread Information