Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lady Panthers

Immortal

Default Lady Panthers

Weslaco continues to play well, they beat sharyland tonight 41-15..

Weslaco is clearly and by far the best team in the Valley. Have they lost to a Valley team? I will be shocked if they have, but I just don't see a Valley team beating them.

MVP

They wont lose to any valley team. Harlingen high is the only team that was close to beating them and I feel should have been a closer game but adjustments werent made.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by badguy11 View Post
    Weslaco is clearly and by far the best team in the Valley. Have they lost to a Valley team? I will be shocked if they have, but I just don't see a Valley team beating them.
    South beat them but that was way back in Aug! (Summer ball)

Immortal

Weslaco starts out district with the W over San Benito 48-26. That's cause they could have played better, looked a little sloppy out there but nonethless they got it done.

Immortal

Weslaco High girls basketball has lofty goals for this season

Alex E. Pena | Special to RGVSports.com

McALLEN - During a late timeout of Weslaco Highs 37-25 victory over the Los Fresnos Lady Falcons on Friday at Morris Middle school, Lady Panthers coach Griselda Fino told her players repeatedly to wise up.

You need to have a gut check, Fino told her players. Los Fresnos was real gritty with us...it was good though, because they are a good tough ball club and they gave us a solid effort.

It was just a matter of you gotta dig deep.

It wasnt that the Lady Panthers had to overcome a huge deficit against the Lady Falcons in Day 2 of the McAllen Border Bash. The largest lead Los Fresnos held was 4-0 until Weslaco made a 9-0 run to close the first quarter to take the lead for good.

With the amount of experience the Lady Panthers, they have set their goals high.

I can tell you that one big difference is their expectations are a little bit higher, Fino said. You find out their commitment to the program has increased. Keep focus.

Not that last years team, which reached the area round of the Class 5A playoffs before losing to Laredo Alexander, lacked focus. But the bar has been raised higher.

The Lady Panthers have already won the Mid-Valley Classic and Chic Fil-A tournaments this season.

In the latter, the Lady Panthers won despite being without several key players because of illness and injuries, forcing Fino to count on her bench. Gaining experience is one of the benefits early in the season.

With these tournaments, setting your rotations is key, Fino said. We want to see what our team is made of. Also, it gives us a chance to experiment with other kids. (In the Chic Fil-A championship game) I played with several girls out. Now that I know (the bench) can play, it'll help us further down the stretch.

Standing at 6-foot-1, Laura Vantilburg will be a go-to player for the Lady Panthers. On Friday, the junior post led all scorers with 20 points and Jaz Garza added another 11 for Weslaco.

(Vantilburg) is going to be a key component for us, Fino said.

Though they came in second to Los Fresnos in District 32-5A last year, Weslaco faces a more daunting task as a member of District 31-5A, where all but two teams made the playoffs in 2011-12.

But they want more than a league title.

Our motto is "unfinished business", she said. We played a tough Laredo Alexander team (last year). I thought the kids played well, but at the same time, we felt we wanted more. Not just pick it up where we left off, but want it more.
    Last edited by Midvalleyftball79; 12-02-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Immortal

Add a 2nd place finish at the Border Bash Tournament for the Lady Panthers, they've played in 3 championship games in all 3 tourneys they've participated in. Solid showings, and are now 18-1 on the season. District play starts up again next week, i'll try and see who were playing.

Mid Valley Classic:
    http://www.valleycentral.com/sports/...aspx?id=826446

Chic-Fil-A Tourney: http://www.valleymorningstar.com/spo...a4bcf6878.html
    Last edited by Midvalleyftball79; 01-20-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Very solid team. Nice post play from #22. Two guards attack the goal and are quick. #1 is a shut down defender. I really enjoyed watching them play. However, Churchill game was a preview of what your gonna see in the playoffs. Weslaco needs to get in the gym and shoot! Work on your shot. Gonna have to shoot those good teams out of that pack it in zone.

Immortal

Yeah they seemed hesitant to shoot the ball vs Churchill, and we gave up to many easy baskets, if they were to meet again in the playoffs I think the lady panthers would be more prepared, its hard to prepare for any one oppt. during a tourney, mainly cause you don't even know who your gonna play till the day of. Nonetheless it was a good learning experience for weslaco in that loss to Churchill, hope they will only get better from it.

Heisman Winner

that is good to hear that these girls are doing some good things... glad fino is back in weslaco shes got a good thing going there... good luck in dist and the rest of the way you girls deserve it
    T'WolveMan10

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by EXPG10 View Post
    They wont lose to any valley team. Harlingen high is the only team that was close to beating them and I feel should have been a closer game but adjustments werent made.
    HHS coach REFUSES to make adjusments

MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    HHS coach REFUSES to make adjusments
    Also needs to fix the line ups and put best players on the floor.

Hall of Famer

Also needs to fix the line ups and put best players on the floor.
    She won't, she is stuck in her ways, and she will more than likely be there till she retires.
    She's a good lady, I know the girls like her as a person, just Xs and Os wise, she's out of touch and not willing to adapt.

MVP

She won't, she is stuck in her ways, and she will more than likely be there till she retires.
    She's a good lady, I know the girls like her as a person, just Xs and Os wise, she's out of touch and not willing to adapt.
    I saw that weslaco game and she had a girl come off the bench ( a guard)and did well and they took a huge lead and then subed out and weslaco came back and were down by 2 at the half. Plus during the second half that girl didnt even see the floor which was rather odd condisdering they had so many turnovers the second half.

Hall of Famer

I saw that weslaco game and she had a girl come off the bench ( a guard)and did well and they took a huge lead and then subed out and weslaco came back and were down by 2 at the half. Plus during the second half that girl didnt even see the floor which was rather odd condisdering they had so many turnovers the second half.
    Should have seen them last year vs Beaumont Ozen. It was a good game 1st half, Lady Cards were down by 4 at one point in the 2nd quarter. At halftime Ozen made big adjustments and blew out the Lady Cards by 30 2nd half. Lady Cards coach made ZERO adjustments, and we saw what happened.
    And then she had the audacity to say something in the paper the next day about her girls not giving effort in the 2nd half. C'mon, anyone who knows basketball knows what happend.

Same vs Laredo Alexander, Lady Cards lost to them by 20 TWICE last year, and through each game HHS coach changed NOTHING.

A little frustrating because the Lady Cards were state ranked last year and IMO had a super talented team.

MVP

Should have seen them last year vs Beaumont Ozen. It was a good game 1st half, Lady Cards were down by 4 at one point in the 2nd quarter. At halftime Ozen made big adjustments and blew out the Lady Cards by 30 2nd half. Lady Cards coach made ZERO adjustments, and we saw what happened.
    And then she had the audacity to say something in the paper the next day about her girls not giving effort in the 2nd half. C'mon, anyone who knows basketball knows what happend.

Same vs Laredo Alexander, Lady Cards lost to them by 20 TWICE last year, and through each game HHS coach changed NOTHING.

A little frustrating because the Lady Cards were state ranked last year and IMO had a super talented team.
    Wow well you cant teach an old dog new tricks. Harlingen has a really good guard but is not getting the run she should be getting which is a shame.

Hall of Famer

Glad the lady basketball team is doing well, good luck and go lady panthers.
    Last edited by gwes02; 12-06-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Immortal

Weslaco wins tonight over the McAllen Memorial lady mustangs 83-14. Good D by the Lady panthers tonight, created alot of turnovers.

Immortal

Weslaco with some more good D tonight as they beat Psja memorial lady wolverines 50-9.

Hall of Famer

What was the score when Harlingen played Weslaco?

Thread Information