Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 212 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Scoop

Immortal

Default Boxing Scoop

ill be posting the latest news in the boxing world here.

Immortal

Boxing Buzz

Tuesday, August 26 2008

The name “Paul Williams” is now being considered as an opponent for Oscar De La Hoya’s grand finale Dec. 6.

Welterweight king Antonio Margarito is expected in Puerto Rico on Thursday, and will sitting ringside on Saturday to cheer on his countryman Hugo Cazares, who takes on undefeated Ivan Calderon on the “Latin Fury 6” card. Cazares is managed by the same team, Francisco Espinoza and Sergio Diaz of "Siete Mares" fame.

Hall of Famer

People will remeber how DLH ducked Margarito.

Immortal

his next fight will not get as many ppv buys like the mayweather/dlh fight.

Heisman Winner

If DLH were to fight Manny, IMO DLH would get knocked the ffffff out!

MVP

DLH is a damn clown....somebody knock is arse out and get him going on his way out...

Where's the picture of DLH in the fishnet suit....mendigo fruit...

Immortal

Mora, Forrest confident!

Tuesday, August 26 2008

Will it be Sergio Mora (21-0-1, 5 KOs) again, or former champ Vernon Forrest (40-3, 29 KOs), Sept. 13, when the two rematch for Mora’s WBC junior middleweight belt? Both camps, today, expressed their utter confidence in winning a bout they both expect to be tougher than the original one.

“I was just flat in that fight,” said Forrest. “I couldn’t pull the trigger, for the first time in my career. The loss, though, enabled me to really get my competitive juices flowing again. You’re going to see a classic Vernon Forrest style of performance."

”I’m expecting a different Vernon this time,” said Mora. “But I feel much stronger, since winning the belt, not sure why. I’m more confident and like Forrest has said, I feel it in my bones, that this fight won’t go the distance.”

Mora-Forrest will be one of two title fights featured on the HBO Pay-Per-View card Sept. 13 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The Golden Boy Promotions card, in association with Romanza Boxing and sponsored by Cerveza Tecate, headlines Joel Casamayor vs. Juan Manuel Marquez in the main event. The telecasts begins at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT. Stay tuned for an in-depth stories on Mora and Forrest in the next couple days.

Immortal

Immortal

RING Magazine: "Mayweather Doesn't Crack the Top 25 Greatest Ever"

We can almost certainly agree that Mayweather doesn't belong in the top 10, hallowed ground reserved for names like Robinson, Armstrong, Ali, Louis, Pep, Greb, ect. And the opinion here is that for all his remarkable talent, his body of work isn't enough to crack the top 25 either. Looking at that 19-42 range, the upper end just doesn't seem right given the talent pools of the past.

So our final declaration is this: if Mayweather never fights again, he ranks somewhere in the second 25 in boxing history, pound-for-pound, taking into account both his ability and his accomplishment. "Pretty Boy" and his devoted fans may not want be happy to hear it, and the Floyd haters probably won't like it either, but that's where he belongs.

Eric Raskin, The Ring Magazine, October 2008

Immortal

Arum: I am optimistic!

Wednesday, August 27 2008

Top Rank head Bob Arum told The Manila Bulletin/Fightnews on Wednesday that he is "optimistic" that the proposed Dec. 6 megabuck matchup between Manny Pacquiao and Oscar De La Hoya will become a reality. Fresh from his vacation in France, Arum said Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions are coming out with an official announcement at 11 a.m. of Thursday (early Friday morning in the Philippines). "That's all I can say," said Arum, who was in constant touch with key members of Team Pacquiao while he was vacationing in the French Riviera. De La Hoya has penciled the MGM Grand in Las Vegas as venue for his last fight.

Hall of Famer

some more scoop on DLH & Pacman!

Sources: De La Hoya, Pacquiao agree to Dec. 6 fight in Vegas

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)

Updated: August 27, 2008, 2:26 PM ET

Oscar De La Hoya, boxing's biggest star, will announce Thursday that he will meet pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao on Dec. 6, two sources close to the fight told ESPN.com.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, whose company promotes Pacquiao, would not confirm a deal was in place for what would be the year's biggest fight, but he did tell ESPN.com that De La Hoya would host a media teleconference at 2 p.m. ET on Thursday to announce his opponent.

"We'll know who is he is fighting tomorrow," Arum said Wednesday from Youngstown, Ohio, where he was attending a promotional event for the Kelly Pavlik-Bernard Hopkins fight that he is co-promoting with De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions. "I made a commitment that I wouldn't say anything and that tomorrow there would be an announcement. I'm not allowed to make any comments. Everything will be clear on Thursday."

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer would not confirm the deal, either, but sounded positive when asked about it.

"Last week the deal was 90 percent dead, but we were able to revive it. The fact that it has been so quiet is a good sign," Schaefer said from Mexico, where he was traveling on business with De La Hoya. "It's been a lot of back and forth and skillful negotiating and to try to get each side to soften their stance. If the fight was Arum vs. Schaefer, it would have been made awhile ago."

Schaefer dismissed reports this week that welterweight titleholder Paul Williams was under serious consideration to meet De La Hoya. Schaefer said that although Williams' name was thrown out during an internal meeting, it was quickly dismissed, and no contact was ever made between the De La Hoya and Williams camps. Williams promoter Dan Goossen confirmed that as well.

De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs), who has repeatedly said the December fight would be the last bout of his storied career in which he's won world titles in six weight divisions, has been in talks with Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOs) for weeks. But negotiations got bogged down when the sides could not come to an agreement on how to split the revenue, which is expected to exceed more than $100 million.

De La Hoya stood firm for weeks on a 70-30 split in his favor; Pacquiao was demanding a 40 percent slice of the pie.

The rest of the major issues, from the maximum weight to the size of the gloves, were agreed upon, with Pacquiao getting his way on a 147-pound weight limit and 8-ounce gloves.

The percentage split that De La Hoya and Pacquiao have apparently agreed to is unclear.

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer and one of De La Hoya's former trainers, has been an outspoken advocate of the fight, going so far as to say he would train Pacquiao for free because he was so confident he would win.

Roach told ESPN.com on Wednesday that Pacquiao, whom he hadn't spoken to much recently, left him two voice mails about 7 a.m. ET.

"He left me the messages and at the end of one of them, he said, 'Thanks for all your help.' I read that as the fight is done," Roach said.

Pacquiao, a lightweight titleholder who has won belts in five weight classes and is the national icon of the Philippines, would move up to welterweight for the showdown with De La Hoya.

The fight is expected to take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where De La Hoya has fought five of his past six bouts and seven of his past 10.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hall of Famer

IMO, I don't think DLH can win this fight against Pacman. Pacquiao, is too dangerous!

Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Hey ibleed maybe you can change the thread heading to boxing scoop & MMA? Just a suggestion though....
    Shamrock welcomes opportunity to test Kimbo's mettle

After months of speculation, EliteXC heavyweight Kimbo Slice has an opponent for his Oct. 4 date at the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.

Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, will face veteran mixed martial artist Ken Shamrock. The fight will air on CBS.

There had been talk of Slice facing Brett Rogers. Tension between the two began on May 31 in Newark, N.J., where Rogers made disparaging remarks about Slice's performance against James Thompson.

After Slice and Rogers exchanged words, it was widely believed they would face each other this year. But after much deliberation, executives at EliteXC decided on Shamrock.

"Ken Shamrock poses serious threats to Kimbo Slice's maturation in the MMA game," EliteXC vice president Jared Shaw told ESPN.com. "He is a veteran of the sport and widely considered one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time.

"It's an enormous fight to the casual fan as well as the hard-core fan. The hard-core fan, they've grown up with Ken Shamrock. He will be looking to put an illustrious finish on a storied career."

Shamrock, 44, will look to end a five-fight skid with a win over Slice. In his most recent fight on March 8, Shamrock was stopped during the first round by Robert Berry. Despite his slump, Shamrock is confident he can handle Slice.

"I welcome this opportunity," Shamrock said. "Kimbo has had some success. He's big, he's strong and he hits with his heavy hands, but anybody that is a veteran in this sport understands that unless you have a lot of time in the ring, you have not been tested completely.

"Kimbo's ground skills have not yet been tested, and I have the ability to test him. He hasn't seen anything yet."

The 34-year-old Slice is undefeated in three sanctioned mixed martial arts fights -- he defeated former heavyweight boxing champion Ray Mercer in an MMA exhibition bout on June 23, 2007. But Slice received lots of criticism after struggling to defeat Thompson.

Slice started strong in that bout, but as the fight wore on he showed fatigue. By the second round, Thompson was able to control him on the ground. Some ringside observers, including Rogers, claim Slice tapped out at one point.

However, Slice would survive and land several hard punches in the third round that caused blood to flow from Thompson's left ear. A Slice right hand would stagger Thompson, leading referee Dan Miragliotta to stop the bout.

Rogers, who stopped Jon Murphy in the first round on the undercard, had harsh words for Slice afterward.

"I'm saying it like this: Kimbo Slice, that was just garbage, man," Rogers said. "I'm going to speak it real. You did tap. … I saw it. I was right there."

The words nearly caused Rogers and Slice to come to blows. After order was restored, each fighter expressed interest in settling their differences in the cage.

Shaw said EliteXC was close to putting Slice-Rogers on the Oct. 4 card, but after much deliberation the promoter decided to go with Shamrock (26-13-2). Though Rogers' shot at Slice fell through, Shaw said there is no need for the St. Paul, Minn., resident to bow his head.

"His future is incredibly bright in mixed martial arts and with EliteXC," Shaw said of Rogers. "He's 8-0 and has eight knockouts. He's been seen on Showtime and CBS.

"Rogers is at the beginning of a tremendous climb. If he's looking at this situation as him being overlooked, he'd better get in the gym with that thought … because he's not being overlooked. The Kimbo Slice fight is coming to him.

"If they both handle their business, there will be a date for them in the very near future. For the fans who wanted to see Kimbo Slice-Brett Rogers, they will have to wait just a little longer. But it will be that much more exciting."

Slice couldn't be reached for comment.

Rogers will not appear on the Oct. 4 card. He is slated to fight on Nov. 8 on Showtime, but an opponent has yet to be named.

Franklin McNeil covers boxing and mixed martial arts for The Star-Ledger in Newark, N.J.

Hall of Famer

Well i dont think there will be any KO's in this fight and if it goes to the judges and it is a close fight, there is no doubt DLH will get the win. So my hope is that Pacman makes it a clear win.

MVP

Bahh...typical DLH fruit-cake fight...he is fighting manny for his name only, not because manny is a credible fighter at 140...

I thought little of Oscar before, now i think he is scum...thinking like a promoter and not like a fighter...getting rid of all these promoters would do boxing some much needed good...

Immortal

JRG, make a MMA News thread.

Immortal

Oscar takes low road in fighting Pacquiao
    By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

Apparently, Oscar De La Hoya didn’t feel like waiting for the outcome of WBO junior flyweight champion Ivan Calderon’s bout on Saturday before choosing his next opponent.

Seven months after fighting a super lightweight, De La Hoya decided on Thursday to drop a class and take on a lightweight when he announced he’d be facing Manny Pacquiao on Dec. 6 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

No word on whether he gave serious consideration to either Sky Low Low or Little Beaver.

De La Hoya is embarrassing himself and the sport he professes to love by refusing to fight the real challengers in his division and picking on a guy who has only once fought above 130 pounds. But for this fight, De La Hoya will make Pacquiao fight at welterweight.

It’s a farce.

Yes, it’s going to be a big event. Yes, it’s going to generate tens of million, perhaps hundreds of million, dollars.

But De La Hoya is hardly covering himself in glory fighting a man so much smaller. This is a fight pitting a one-time middleweight champion against a one-time flyweight champion.

Thank about that: De La Hoya won a world title belt in the 160-pound weight class. Pacquiao won one in the 112-pound class.

The bout will be fought at welterweight, which has a weight limit of 147 pounds. De La Hoya hasn’t made 147 since he knocked out Arturo Gatti on March 24, 2001.

By fight night, it will be seven years, eight months and 13 days since De La Hoya stepped onto a scale and weighed 147 pounds

And so as not to be confused with how great the disparity in size between these two men is, realize that a month before De La Hoya manhandled Gatti, Pacquiao weighed 122 for a Feb. 24, 2001, victory over Tetsutora Senrima.

De La Hoya said he decided to ***** the fight because he felt challenged. His ex-trainer, Freddie Roach, who trains Pacquiao, suggested Pacquiao could win because De La Hoya no longer can pull the trigger.

And it’s true that De La Hoya hardly looked sharp in his last outing, a win over Steve Forbes. De La Hoya won nearly every round, but was sloppy and failed to assert his size.

Pacquiao’s best chance to win this fight is if De La Hoya is, indeed, over the hill. That’s where the intrigue in this fight lies.

Pacquiao is, as De La Hoya repeatedly noted during a conference call to announce the bout on Thursday, the faster man. And at this stage of his career, he’s clearly the more skilled and talented man.

But he won’t be able to stay outside and use his quickness to outbox De La Hoya, because he is giving up five or six inches in reach, an extraordinary figure for a guy who can’t afford to get into a shootout.

And while Pacquiao is one of the hardest hitters at both super featherweight and lightweight, it’s difficult to imagine he’ll be able to hurt De La Hoya. This is a guy who went 24 rounds with Shane Mosley and 12 rounds with Felix Trinidad, both of whom were among the hardest punchers at either 147 or 154. He was never seriously hurt, or even rocked, in either of those fights.

Pacquiao’s power won’t be the same at 147 as it was at 135 and it’s clear he won’t hit as hard as either Mosley or Trinidad did.

There’s no way to get around the fact that De La Hoya is flat-out ducking WBA welterweight champion Antonio Margarito.

That’s the fight that he should have taken and the match that would have made sense. Margarito, though, would have mauled De La Hoya and the Golden Boy wants no part of that.

Pacquiao deserves credit for taking on the challenge that De La Hoya would not. He has so many physical disadvantages, but he took the fight regardless.

He even had the pluck to say that he expects to be stronger than De La Hoya.

“He’s taller than me, but I believe I’m going to be stronger,” Pacquiao said.

That’s unlikely, but good for Pacquiao for believing it. It’s too bad De La Hoya no longer has that kind of competitive spirit. Oh, he tried to act as if he took the bout when he heard Roach suggest Pacquiao would win the fight because De La Hoya can no longer pull the trigger.

He said that got his competitive juices flowing and made him decide to try to make the bout.

“When people started saying, ‘Manny can beat you,’ and ‘Manny can knock you out,’ and especially when Freddie Roach started saying ‘Oscar can’t pull the trigger,’ or ‘Manny Pacquiao, the fighter I train, can beat you,’ it started to become a challenge to me,” De La Hoya said. “Now, it’s very personal, especially when Manny Pacquiao beat all the legendary Mexican fighters from Mexico. To me, it’s a challenge. People are talking.

People are talking that Manny Pacquiao can beat me. Well, we’ll see Dec. 6.”

Nice try, Oscar.

This fight has nothing to do with De La Hoya’s competitive spirit or belief he has to defend the honor of beaten Mexican fighters.

He took the fight for the money.

He’ll get paid more – far more – to face Pacquiao than he would to fight anyone else who was in consideration.

At least speak the truth, Oscar.

But De La Hoya is so much into image and saying the right thing, that, as Jack Nicholson said to Tom Cruise in “A Few Good Men,” he can’t handle the truth.

Or at least admit it.

Admit you’re fighting for the money and no one complains. It’s a hard business and a dangerous game and every fighter, even ones who have made more than a quarter of a billion dollars in the ring, deserves as much as possible every time out.

But it’s ridiculous when De La Hoya attempts to frame it as a competitive challenge.

If he wanted a challenge, he’d be fighting Margarito. He wants a payday, so he’s fighting Pacquiao.

De La Hoya, who also backed off his earlier vow to retire after this fight, will only lose this fight if he’s totally shot.

And though he’s just 3-3 in his last six and looked less than intimidating against Forbes, another much smaller man, he figures to be greatly motivated for this one and should assert his physical superiority.

Given that he’s now not committed to retiring, at least there’s hope.

Sky Low Low may yet get his shot at the Golden Boy.

Hall of Famer

It seems like a lot of weight for Pacman to be fighting at.

Immortal

WBA welterweight champion Antonio Margarito departed Puerto Rico today for Los Angeles to begin training camp for his scheduled November 1st fight in Anaheim, California. Margarito was in town for Saturday's fight between Ivan Calderon and Hugo Cazares. Though Margarito dethroned Puerto Rican hero Miguel Cotto back in June, he actually became more popular in Puerto Rico. During the press tour for the Cotto-Margarito fight in Puerto Rico, Margarito was very professional, just as he was after defeating Cotto and the Puerto Rican fans remembered that. During his short stay on the island, Margarito was constantly mobbed by fans wherever he went but never would turn down anyone's request for an autograph or photo.

Immortal

Berto set for Forbes!

Monday, September 1 2008

WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto (22-0, 19 KOs) will take the ring for his first title defense on September 27 facing former 130lb champion Steve “Two Pounds” Forbes (33-6, 9 KOs) at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., the site of Forbes’ recent match-up with Oscar de la Hoya.The welterweight clash, which highlights the undercard of Shane Mosley and Ricardo Mayorga’s junior middleweight match-up, will be broadcast on HBO’s World Championship Boxing. “I feel good, I’m confident. I’m in tremendous shape and ready to turn in a good performance on September 27,” Berto said. “Fans can expect the same Andre Berto speed and power, and I’ve been bringing in smaller guys and slick boxers. We are working on speed and boxing for this fight.” Berto opened training camp on August 19 in his hometown of Winter Haven. He and trainer Tony Morgan made the decision to conduct his training camp in central Florida, and he is preparing for the fight at the Winter Haven Police Athletic League gym, the same facility he trained in as an amateur.

Thread Information