Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
    Heisman Winner

Default Track Records: Bermea vs. Noyola

Ok, I just read in the Valley Morning Star about Randy Bermea's bronze and silver medals. Great! Beautiful! I hope this kid continues to have a great athletic future.

But, here's my problem: According to how I understood the VMS article, Randy Bermea now holds the Valley record for the 300m hurddles for a time he ran at State?

Is that the way it should work? I always thought it had to be against Valley competition during the Valley track season. Unless Noyola set the mark post-Valley track season?

Anyway, peoples thoughts on this. I say Noyola should keep the Valley record.

And for the record I have no affiliation to either person. Just my thoughts.

Premium

I say Bermea deserves the new Valley record, for a few reasons:

1) Noyola gets to say "I coached the kid that finally broke my record after 24 years". It was bound to happen eventually and who better to break the record than his own student/protege?

2) Bermea is like a son to Coach Noyola, you can tell he's sincerely proud of him

3) Noyola's 36.55 was hand-timed, Bermea's 36.46 time is FAT. There was a chance for human-error when Noyola's time was clocked back in '87. Because of the possibility of human-error many websites/books/archives etc won't accept anything but FAT results to make it official. You probably won't find Noyola's 36.55 time in any non-Valley website archives. But Bermea's time will go down in the records books as being the 2011 4th fastest time in the nation, and for earning his silver medal at 2011 State championships.

4) Was there ever a time that Bermea ran 300m hurdles in the Valley where FAT was setup? Had someone clocked him at a lower time than 36.55 there would been controversy surrounding whether the hand-time was legit or not, just like his Valley record in the 110s. There were people saying the announcer at first said 13.9 was the unofficial time, but his official time ended up being 13.62. Bermea would be ranked #1 in the state (110s) with his 13.62 time, if it was FAT. When it comes to clocking times, you can't beat the computer. For this reason it's not recognized state or nationwide in the track websites.

It's exactly like Noyola said, ""There’s no one else I’d want breaking my record and there’s no better place to break it than here," (http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/me...alley-new.html)

We have to give major kudos to Noyola for being a great coach/mentor & role-model, but most of all to Bermea for being the best hurdler in Valley history, and the #1 hurdler (overall) in the State this year.
    Last edited by Virgon; 05-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Un-freaking believable.

Noyola coaching this kid and this kid get a silver and a bronze at state?

It's a freaking Disney movie script.
    Last edited by teamfalcon; 05-16-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Understand before disagreeing.

Junior Varsity

Actually, the record could come at any meet as long as the athlete is still in high school. If someone breaks the record at a official summer meet, it also counts. It stands to reason that an exceptional athlete would break a record at a meet where he would be "pushed" the most. Many of the valley records happened at regionals and state meets.
    Last edited by trackfan; 05-19-2011 at 05:30 AM.

Premium

Quote Originally Posted by trackfan View Post
    Actually, the record could come at any meet as long as the athlete is still in high school. If someone breaks the record at a official summer meet, it also counts. It stands to reason that an exceptional athlete would break a record at a meet where he would be "pushed" the most. Many of the valley records happened at regionals and state meets.
    Excellent point, thank you.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by trackfan View Post
    So long as that is the practice then that's what I needed to know.

Thread Information